Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A Comment on Headlight Bulbs

Views : 5515

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 26th, 2011, 11:17   #11
jco

Have always had good results from the Osrams night breakers in A4 and V70 plus excellent lights in wifes corolla (which put V70 to shame.
used them in in a 2007 V50 to improve the projector dipped beam with some improvement

Have just acquired 2009 V50 which with standard bulbs (unknown as yet) appear to be a big improvement over 2007 version at first use.
Will switch to nightbraekers shortly to see if there is a further improvement
jco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 15:36   #12
HEICO SPORTIV
für das Leben

Thumbs up

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.

One of the bulbs on my 2005 S40 went today and I immediately looked to Halfords. So glad I decided to read this before going forward with the purchase.

I've just been on eBay and bought a pack of 2 OSRAM NIGHBREAKER PLUS H7's from powerbulbsdirect @ £12.75 + £2.95 1st class shipping.

Still unsure how the "clearance division" of PowerBulbs.com can sell them for £15.70 total and their main store sells them for £27.49 with free shipping.

I'll write back when they arrive and let everyone know how it all went with fitting etc.

Thanks again, most appreciated.
HEICO SPORTIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 22:25   #13
Elfed

Just installed a pair of Osram Nightbreaker Plus H7 on my 2005 S40 yesterday, got them from eBay for £14.95 delivered.

I can confirm that the light is much stronger, giving a much whiter light, but I don't think the range has improved much. Still, anything's an improvement on the almost dangerous standard lights!
Elfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 14:25   #14
HEICO SPORTIV
für das Leben

So the 1st class postage took a bit longer than expected. I purchased off eBay from PowerBulbsdirect on Saturday and received my bulbs today. I was a little bit surprised to see them shoved through my letterbox in a crumpled state jiffy bubble bag but I'm happy to say they survived the trip in one piece.

Having never read the user manual and not replaced the bulbs before, I wasn't sure how easy/difficult this task would be.

It easily took me less than 15 mins to replace both. Well done Volvo!

I've replaced both but took a picture after I'd replaced the faulty one so that you could immediately see the difference between the standard original Osram and the Osram Nightbreaker Plus.

Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 14:51   #15
Bigmunkynutz
S40 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEICO SPORTIV View Post

I've replaced both but took a picture after I'd replaced the faulty one so that you could immediately see the difference between the standard original Osram and the Osram Nightbreaker Plus.

The osrams on the passenger side right? Lol wouls you be a ble to do a pic in the dark like this?

Is the light whiter than norm? I need to change mine for whiter ones now i have the LED Sidelights in and Halos ordered...

05 Plate S40 SE Sport
Bigmunkynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 16:23   #16
HEICO SPORTIV
für das Leben

Yeah, the drivers side is the new Osram Nightbreaker Plus and the passenger, the original standard Osram. It appears much whiter even in daylight.
I've replaced both of them now and too lazy to switch them again just to do a comparison photo at night, sorry.
If it helps, the packaging claims 90% more light with a 10% whiter light than standard. It also claims up to 35m distance better performance. +50% longer lasting.
The Following User Says Thank You to HEICO SPORTIV For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 17:03   #17
Bigmunkynutz
S40 Owner

Cheers for that info, guess there my next buy till I make the plunge on a HiD kit..

How did you find them in the dark?

05 Plate S40 SE Sport

Last edited by Bigmunkynutz; Mar 3rd, 2011 at 17:05. Reason: Z
Bigmunkynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 15:51   #18
HEICO SPORTIV
für das Leben

My apologies for the epic 17month late reply! Just noticed this.
Hope there's no restrictions on bumping old threads, sorry if so.

I've noticed a big difference since fitting these Osram Nightbreaker Plus bulbs. Much brighter and whiter light. I'd definitely recommend them.

Did you end up getting them or got your HiD kit?
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 16:53   #19
jaygee
Avid Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishandgerman View Post
Just a small comparison of headlight bulbs that may be useful to someone, boring to others!

Replaced my standard bulbs with Osram Nightbreakers from www.powerbulbs.co.uk with superb results

One blew the other day. Desperate and couldn't wait for postage, replaced with Halfords "90% brighter" Extreme Brilliance bulbs which are utterly USELESS in comparison

I've ordered another set of Osram Nightbreakers from Powerbulbs and Halfords, bless them will refund me, even though the bulbs have been in my car

Just another note. After taking delivery of the car in May, I returned it a few days later to have the beam adjusted properly
I've been using them since March. Best I've used so far....

V50 2.0D (05) SE Lux - Euro IV || 168 BHP - 404 NM
V40 D3 (13) SE Lux - Euro IV || 150 BHP - 350NM
jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 16:54   #20
jaygee
Avid Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loskie View Post
can't believe how easy it is to replace the bulbs. My old Mk1 Octavia was easy the V50 design is very clever and even simpler.
I seem to remember that the "new" mini needs the bumper removed to fit a new bulb . eek
Here's hoping the headlight alignment hasn't been upset by removal and re fitting.
My friends Vectra requires the bumper to be removed. Nightmare!

V50 2.0D (05) SE Lux - Euro IV || 168 BHP - 404 NM
V40 D3 (13) SE Lux - Euro IV || 150 BHP - 350NM
jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote