Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Strange annoying noise.

Views : 1605

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 10th, 2012, 00:52   #11
Jabe
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
Our models are terrible for tyre noise, you have to have directional ones for the best quiet performance. If they are block tread then look nowhere else, try moving the wheels around the car and see what happens.
Interesting wiki of the day.
2002 S40 Titanium Grey 2.0T 165BHP, Sport Lux - SOLD!
2003 V40 Blue SE 1.8 122BHP - Current!
Jabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 13:56   #12
inchley313
Insane!!

last time I had a wheel bearing noise, I decided to replace the bearing as the car had done 170k miles... It wasn't the wheel bearing... It turned out to be the diff bearing so I changed the gearbox. I had replaced the wheel bearing for no reason!!

'01 V40 2.0 Ph2 141,000mi (lower than the last one)
'98 Honda CR-V 2.0 Auto (as this is the car I'm teaching SWMBO to drive in)
Previous:
'97 V40 2.0CD with 173,000mi on the clock and now sold!!
inchley313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 11:21   #13
peterk007

Unhappy Annoying noise.

Thanks to all who replied. I'm still none the wiser as to what the problem is but I'm certain it isn't a wheel bearing. Oh went to Kwik Fit to get it looked at and they tried to sell me 2 tyres and told me that the recently fitted new front discs are WARPED. I told the "TECHNICIAN" his brain must be warped to think I'm going to believe that new discs fitted not long ago can be warped. He said "but it's an automatic and a turbo so braking will have been heavier in this sort of car" haha,what a muppet. I am now under the impression it might be my REAR discs as I removed the rear wheels and the discs to be honest have seen better days. Could sell them to a butcher for his meat slicing machine. £36 Europarts rear discs and pads this week I think... See if that cures it. Thanks all who replied to my problem will keep you all posted as to what it turns out to be!!!
peterk007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 13:00   #14
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

I would be surprised if it was the front end as you would probably get some kind of vibration through the steering. Definitely sounds like the rear disc/pad combination. If you are pulling the rear brakes etc apart make sure you have the boots and bolts service kits in addition to the actual discs and pads, as they might be needed.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 20:59   #15
peterk007

Question Still none the wiser

Well I've replaced the rear discs and pads today with absolutely no problem on one rear side,but a pig of a problem on the drivers side rear. The screw that retains the disc was mangled to bits and had to hammer it off with a hammer and chisel. Put everything back together and.... AAAGGGHHH the damn noise is still there. Must be the fronts. It only seems as if it's audible at speeds above 20 or 30mph. Maybe front pads?? Ah well back to the drawing board and PLAN B??
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 23:57   #16
madmodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterk007 View Post
Well I've replaced the rear discs and pads today with absolutely no problem on one rear side,but a pig of a problem on the drivers side rear. The screw that retains the disc was mangled to bits and had to hammer it off with a hammer and chisel. Put everything back together and.... AAAGGGHHH the damn noise is still there. Must be the fronts. It only seems as if it's audible at speeds above 20 or 30mph. Maybe front pads?? Ah well back to the drawing board and PLAN B??
get a vid on ya phone of the noise and post it up, might help us to help you

The GDI seems Fine to me and even runs well on 95 Ron.

madmodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 14:35   #17
peterk007

Question

I have an I phone but don't have the foggiest on how to upload a video on here. And anyway the noise is only apparent when driving the car. I've done the wiggling the wheels etc to check for any bearing play but all seems ok. However I did notice that on the front nearside wheel my track rod end can be wiggled about by hand very easily?? Is this normal? Shouldn't it be rock solid and difficult to move by hand. Also the tyre on this side is worn down on outer edge signifying tracking could be out??
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 14:57   #18
mechakev
Master Member

Did someone suggest moving your tyres around? Put the fronts on the back etc.
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 16:24   #19
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

As the above poster has said try moving tyres front to back, tyres can be very noisey on S/V40, as previously advised never go the kwikfit especially the ones round glasgow biggest bunch of morons ever!, (the one in bishopbriggs especailly bad, they wouldn't price match tyres even though they had a price promise sign, then tried to get me to run different sized tyres on the front as these were cheaper wanted me to run 205/50's on the front instead of the 205/45 I had on the car!)

If your looking for a decent garage in/around glasgow I can reccommend Volvomax in sprigboig been there a few times which each of my volvos and they've been really good, they know they're stuff and they good value!
scoobysn7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 21:04   #20
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Don't like the sound of this part:
"However I did notice that on the front nearside wheel my track rod end can be wiggled about by hand very easily?? Is this normal? Shouldn't it be rock solid and difficult to move by hand. Also the tyre on this side is worn down on outer edge signifying tracking could be out??"
I made some comments based on the noise being from the rear, but if it is from the front that is a much more serious matter and you should get an MOT standard inspector look at the front end and tracking, as it sounds like something is either bent or a track rod end or other link is badly worn.
It is always a good idea to get a tyre tread depth gauge and occasionaly check the tread depth across the width of the tyres to see if they are wearing unevenly as this will reveal some problems like misalignment or incorrect tyre pressure fairly quickly.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote