Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Taking the plunge?

Views : 926

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 10:51   #1
p.swan

Default Taking the plunge?

Had a number of very happy experiences and lots of reliable miles with Volvos in the past,(240 estate, 850 estate, S70 saloon) then went a got a Ford V70 Volvo, which was so bad the dealer had to buy it back off us! Put us off for a number of years and we defected to Audi but we're back in the market for a car and am very tempted by a 960/v90 series, whilst there are still some nice ones to be had. This would have to be used daily and needs to provide reliable family transport.
There seems to be very conflicting opinions about these cars. Some suggest they are the best cars ever made, comfortable & bomb proof; others suggest they are a very expensive headache. we long to have a good trusty comfy Volvo again but are we barmy to look at a 960!?!
Discuss....
p.swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 11:34   #2
david philips
panic captain manwaring ?

Smile good cars

i prefer the 940s myself but the 960s are great cars also, i have driven them but not owned one.

take note of one very knowledgeable member who i am sure would give you very good advice on them as he has just bought one his name is Keith you wont have to look very hard hes a big scary looking guy with a Heart of gold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jellyfish.jpg (25.3 KB, 14 views)
david philips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 12:30   #3
heyskull
Heyskull

I prefer and own a 940.
If you want something that is bomb proof these are the cars.....!

The 960/v90 series although reliable, they require more meticulous and regular servicing.
Although the 960/v90s have a higher specification than the 940s this just gives you more things to go wrong!

If you get a CD or Sports Edition or look for the highest spec going.

SC
heyskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 13:35   #4
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.swan View Post
Had a number of very happy experiences and lots of reliable miles with Volvos in the past,(240 estate, 850 estate, S70 saloon) then went a got a Ford V70 Volvo, which was so bad the dealer had to buy it back off us! Put us off for a number of years and we defected to Audi but we're back in the market for a car and am very tempted by a 960/v90 series, whilst there are still some nice ones to be had. This would have to be used daily and needs to provide reliable family transport.
There seems to be very conflicting opinions about these cars. Some suggest they are the best cars ever made, comfortable & bomb proof; others suggest they are a very expensive headache. we long to have a good trusty comfy Volvo again but are we barmy to look at a 960!?!
Discuss....

hI p.swan.... David would be referring to ME & Yes I have 3 Volvos on my drive & I do drive all of them at least once a day ..(See my Signature pic below)

If I can be of ANY help at all .. just post in this thread & i'll do me best to advise you ...

I also "Own" my own Volvo Forum(with 3 Good Mates off here) You can find us here >>>>.http://www.volvovehiclesclub.org.uk..

Either post your queries on Here or There .. all 4 of us Flit back & forth between the two forums

That Pic in Davids post is MY 960 (I "acquired" it about 3 weeks ago fer the Ridiculous sum of £200 !!!!!! Better Pictures are in THIS thread >>>>http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=143758

Stay Safe

Keith
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae

Last edited by The Hooded Claw; Feb 2nd, 2012 at 13:39.
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Hooded Claw For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 15:33   #5
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.swan View Post
Discuss....
being a ex 940 owner,, id be tempted to say go for one of those.
yes the 960/v90 have More toys,, but more to go wrong

you can get a 940 2.3lpt
it can have leather, heated seats, elec windows, A/c
manual/auto box
and it has a RED block engine,, imho (and a few others) The best series engines volvo have ever done,,or are ever liable to do (t5 series excepted,but there sports volvos)

the Build quality of the 940s ,again in not just my view is possibly the best volvo ever did , this DOES extend to the 960s (but the bigger engines/fuel...)
having said that there isnt That much diff in the mpg you can get from a 940/960

Either of the 940/960 will be a Higher build quality than the "ford v70" you had, Wont have the ford cheaparse bits fitted and either will serve you Very well.

dont expect to be able to change From a 9xx series to another brand/make the magic carpet Glide of the things, the reliablity and Comfort ,,just Aint there in other cars.
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 22:20   #6
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Go for the 940.

I had wished for a Volvo since I first drove a 240 saloon supplied by an employer back in the early 70's. At the time I was married with two young children and a labrador dog and owned a Triumph Herald 1200 estate. I'm still married and the children have grown a bit and we still have a labrador (not the same one). I graduated from the Herald to a Morris Marina estate which served us well from 1982 until 2005 when I had to pension it off.
In 2005 my daughter was looking to replace her Citroen Xsara (which wasn't a good car) and we happened to be in the local Volvo dealership. Whilst she was investigating a used V40 (which she eventually bought) I was prowling around the garage area and spotted the front of a dusty 240 in a corner. Further examination found it to be a saloon, which was a pity as I wanted an estate, but next to it was an even dustier silver 940 estate. I hadn't been too keen on the 940 range because of the body shape. (I preferred the thick doors with the "window sill" below the window line and the 900 series didn't have that). I was told that the 940 was a trade in and was going to auction so I made an offer to buy as seen and bought it.
It was a 1992 and had 102,000 on the clock. 2.0 litre petrol, non turbo and no AC but apart from consumable bits wearing out it hasn't caused me much grief and I'm well pleased with it and it's in use every day commuting to work and shops etc. It brought us safely and comfortably home to Northumberland from Abingdon the weekend before Christmas 2010 when the south of England was dumped with snow. It took us 23 hours ( mostly in the car waiting for the guy in front of the guy in front of the guy in front to move) and I would not have wished to be in a more comfortable and reliable car. (Rear wheel drive of course which as far as I'm concerned is an essential.) I only hope that I can afford to own and use a rear wheel drive Volvo for the rest of my natural.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 09:04   #7
Mr Sam

they can be picked up cheap enough so get a cheap one and spend the rest of the budget on a good service inc cam belt as ive read when they go they eat the valves

FOR SALE ... £500
Mr Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 09:46   #8
Bartman
VOC Member

I have owned, and loved, a number of 940s over recent years and never had any major grief from any of them. Never had to spend a penny on any of them for anything other than tyres and routine servicing. The build quality, reliability and comfort all speak for themselves.
However, I am currently without Volvo and may be making the switch to a 960, so was wondering if there is anything I should be keeping an eye out for, that i would not have experienced in a 940?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 19:35   #9
FossilFish
Thank fossils for fuel!

Smile Buy it!

Jump in, head first!

Always liked the 3.0 960 Se (esp in purple) but wasn't any good ones for sale, so brought a 940 Sports Edition cheap and love it to bits...the 940 shape is great and spec is fab.

wasn't that lucky as the rear end shocks were gone and have spent a tad to get her looking her best. Your money buys a good 940 but you might be lucky and find a bargin in purple like the Claw!

Most 960 I see look in good shape and most owners of them have spent a pretty penny to keep 'em old girls running...buy a good one you know it makes sence.

Found this it might help!

http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Volvo-960-...00000003233806
FossilFish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FossilFish For This Useful Post: