Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dumbo

Views : 1616

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 17:01   #11
Mountain Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
I would think that this is an error in some software programming - doesn't seem correct to me that you can switch off the engine whilst belting along at 70mph (or more )

I wonder if they will come up with a recall on this?
I've got my QAI coming up shortly, so I'll ask the question then
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 17:08   #12
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
I would think that this is an error in some software programming - doesn't seem correct to me that you can switch off the engine whilst belting along at 70mph (or more )

I wonder if they will come up with a recall on this?

(Will call the ignition/stop/start button the starter button to distinguish between auto stop start which is a different thing as it gets complicated!!)

2 presses on the starter button and engine cuts out when driving.Same here!

Only useful if the car was running away with itself perhaps, although as you suggest it doesnt seem quite correct.Other cars with a starter button need a very long press on the button or 4 or 5 quick successive pushes to cut the engine.

Another interesting point is on cars equipped with auto stop/start, if you stall then the car starts itself again.What tends to happen though is that the natural reaction when one stalls is to re-start so one finds oneself pressing the starter button after the stall only to find the engine stops as it has already re started with the auto stop start on its own accord!!
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 20:45   #13
darbs
XC60 Owner

From page 100 of the MY10 manual:

Stop the engine
To switch off the engine - Press START/STOP ENGINE.

If the car has an automatic gearbox and the
gear selector is not in a position P or if the car
is moving - Press twice or hold the button
depressed until the engine stops."

i guess we're all guilty of not RTFM!
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2011, 18:35   #14
Jazx83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Goat View Post
I did a really stupid thing the other day, but surely bottom line is it shouldn't have been possible.
I was driving my XC60 along coming up to a 30 zone controlled by cameras, and I thought I would put the cruise control on, just to keep speed in check. Obviously not paying attention, instead of pushing the cruise button, I pressed start/stop. The engine promptly died, so I'm now coasting at 30 with no drive. Tried pressing start/stop again, but obviously you need to be in Park with foot on brake to start the engine.
Fortunately I was able to coast to side of road, restart and continue my journey. However the situation could have been very different if this had happened at 70 in the outside lane of a motorway.
Anybody else made this mistake? And shouldn't it be impossible to stop the engine while in motion?

I'm able to start the engine while under way. You have to return the automatic gearshift into the neutral position and press start stop and then the engine should restart.
2011.5 XC60 T6 R-Design AWD / Cosmic White Metallic / Off Black Smooth Leather w/ Beige Inlay / Polestar Performance Upgrade / Technology / Multimedia / Climate / Convenience / Park Assist Camera, Front Blind View/ BLIS / PCC
Jazx83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2011, 11:22   #15
Mountain Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazx83 View Post
I'm able to start the engine while under way. You have to return the automatic gearshift into the neutral position and press start stop and then the engine should restart.
Thanks Jazx83. I'll remember that for the next time I hit the wrong button!
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote