Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Transmission Problem with V8 2006 XC90

Views : 1533

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2011, 06:27   #1
Volvo4skier

Default Transmission Problem with V8 2006 XC90

I have a 2006 V8 XC90 with the six speed transmission. Recently, I have been hearing slight transmission noises when shifting from N to D, from D to N or as the vehicle comes to a stop. The noise is only there for the first five minutes when starting from a cold engine. The transmission was flushed by a Volvo dealer about a year ago. The vehicle has 62K miles and is still under extended warranty. I reside in the relatively modest climate on the west coast of Canada. Any thoughts on what this might be?

I also have really poor overall fuel economy 14 mpg average (70% city and 30% highway driving). How to improve??

Thanks.

Last edited by Volvo4skier; Nov 18th, 2011 at 06:30. Reason: Grammar
Volvo4skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 15:33   #2
Rawas
Master Member

Default Xc90 v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo4skier View Post
I have a 2006 V8 XC90 with the six speed transmission. Recently, I have been hearing slight transmission noises when shifting from N to D, from D to N or as the vehicle comes to a stop. The noise is only there for the first five minutes when starting from a cold engine. The transmission was flushed by a Volvo dealer about a year ago. The vehicle has 62K miles and is still under extended warranty. I reside in the relatively modest climate on the west coast of Canada. Any thoughts on what this might be?

I also have really poor overall fuel economy 14 mpg average (70% city and 30% highway driving). How to improve??

Thanks.
Hi there,
I guess you are on the wrong forum. To my knowledge, very few XC90s V8s are sold in the UK, due to petrol prices. D5 Diesels are the populars.
So why don't you post your thread on the local US forum, you will definitly get a better feedback.
Anyhow your XC90 transmission is a trouble free Aisin Warner that had no problems or recalls documented. Have it checked at another Volvo dealer or private reliable Volvo mechanic.
As for the fuel consumption, I guess this is normal for a V8.
Good luck
Rawas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2011, 07:29   #3
262coupe

Hi I used to have the V8 here in the UK and that consumption is NOT typical. I used to get about 26 on a run and even in and out of London never saw less than 21! It really was brilliant and I'm sure if more people had actually tried it they would have gone for it where as the D5 200 I now have is poor for fuel consumption by comparison. As to the gearbox, I know the t6 had problems but as far as I knew the V8 was rock solid. I used to tow a big caravan with mine and never had any problems.
262coupe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2006, transmission noise, xc90