Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

difficult starting

Views : 1009

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 23:36   #1
jhon

Default difficult starting

740 turbo estate.This is my first volvo and was given to me by a friend.
I have three problems.
1-Poor starting wether hot or cold.I have to depress the accelerater
pedal and after a few turns it fires up.I assumed that since the
ignition is electronicly controled this problem wouldn't exist.
2-When turning hard left there is grinding noise from the front
off-side wheel area as if the tyre is rubbing against something.
On inspection nothing seems out of order.
3-Where can i find a reasonably priced rear parcel shelf.I have
adapted a kitchen blind but it is an eye sore.

It is a very nice car to drive and has done 160000 miles.My previous car was a bmw735 but had too many electronic problems.

jhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2002, 11:34   #2
George Holmer

1, have the same problem myself on my petrol turbo so would be interested in replies.

2, Could it be the power steering? Open the bonnet and turn the steering wheel with the engine running, listen out for the pump. Other than that, could be the brake set-up, check rotors, calipers, pads.

3, Nope, you can't. Sometimes these sell on e-Bay but they go for a lot of money. I have a place in Hamburg that sell them for 150 Euros and I have still not bought one. Forget scrappers, whenever I get a lead they are gone before I can even pick up the telephone. These are more sought-after than water in the Sahara. Volvo dealer will have them, for around 100 quid.

George

Resident near Leuven in Belgium

'87 745 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler
'88 745 Turbo Intercooler
Old Dec 15th, 2002, 11:58   #3
DaveBurton

Hi
Try some TLC like a new set of spark plugs and a new air cleaner element cheap enough these days from halfords.
cheers Dave;-)
Old Dec 15th, 2002, 13:52   #4
George Holmer

Well, in my case I have new timing belt, new plugs, dizzy cap and rotor, filters, oil, fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator. I still have a faulty O2 sensor and possibly injectors. All vacuum lines replaced.

George

George

Resident near Leuven in Belgium

'87 745 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler
'88 745 Turbo Intercooler
Old Dec 16th, 2002, 23:52   #5
sheerwater
Master Member

Default RE: difficult starting

Hi,
ref rubbing noise. Try the conical bushes on the control arm. These are 2 cone shaped bushes and although they look ok on the surface they are quite complex inside. The cones wear and have a metal disk which mates inside where you cant see it. Result is that the metal disk rusts and grinds against the mating surface. As you turn you push greater loads on these bushes so the noise. When replacing them clean internal surfaces fully as its easy to leave the old rusty disk inside. Difficulty starting? If its the continious injection petrol system check the choke injector is working. This gives a spray on cold starts with the spray being timed according to temperature. I dont think that putting your foot to the floor helps as the CI system regulates its own airflow/petrol mix according to vacuum and at starting speeds the flap to control the injectors wont open much...hence the spray injector. Cheers Nige
sheerwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 19:36   #6
ravennexus

Default RE: difficult starting

check FI coolent temp sensor

i have a load cover i don't use. original volvo but one of the hook eyelets in it is missing. make me and offer