Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's the problem with electric cars?

Views : 78525

Replies : 1379

Users Viewing This Thread : Bobmac

Old Jan 27th, 2023, 10:32   #121
Existential Crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
On the contrary George, he's retired and " usually" is pretty local.
When he needed to do several journeys from Durham to London at short notice the charging situation throughout the Country became readily apparent.
Car was great. Charging it mid journey unacceptable.
So he hadn't done his research then? I don't have an ev but I know where the best, most reliable and cheapest chargers are near my house, school and onnthebway to my dads because I am intereted in them. Anyone buying an EV and complaining about either range or infrastructure simply hasn't put the required time into researching their choice. Why buy an EV if there was a chance he had to do long journeys at short notice, and if he owned one, why try to take it? The ID has a decent range from memory but I take about 50miles off quotes range of anything I read jist as quoted mpg figures are farcical.

Last edited by Existential Crisis; Jan 27th, 2023 at 10:34.
Existential Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Existential Crisis For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2023, 11:14   #122
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
... you drive from say Oxford one morning to say Newcastle but as the range anxiety becomes an issue the national grid goes down (extreme I know but not so much so in the current theatre) now the poor chap is still a few miles from the meeting and has no chance of making it in time or getting home, ...
Well thanks for the laughs, I've now got an image of this poor chap having to abandon his car walk to his meeting (in an office which will be shut due to the power being cut off), but in my minds eye he's doing it bare foot because in the context of national power cuts the shoe shop was closed too, just proving shoes are so over rated.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2023, 11:22   #123
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Existential Crisis View Post
So he hadn't done his research then? Why buy an EV if there was a chance he had to do long journeys at short notice, and if he owned one, why try to take it? The ID has a decent range from memory but I take about 50miles off quotes range of anything I read jist as quoted mpg figures are farcical.
No George , I disagree.

Sometimes in life the unexpected happens.

When he bought it he had no idea that a set of ongoing serious family emergencies some 240 miles away were going to occur. They had never do so in the past. Kid's eh?
The EV suited his needs when he bought it but he hadn't reckoned with the totally unexpected situation that arose.
He has a new £95k motorhome. It would honestly have been faster taking that to London.
I prefer to stop for a cuppa when it suits me , not the car.

My view with EV's is that if they fit your needs ie regular commuting well within their claimed range such as Rocinate's example then there is a very strong case for them and much to like.
I'm not anti EV per se what I do have an issue with is that we are being herded down a route in terms of EV being the only new option shortly and the infrastructure will not be in place to match the demand irrespective of what people say.
As for Benzines Electric motorbike?
Great if you never go far or do a regular work commute but how would it cope with my crowd in May when we go to France Spain and Portugal for the best part of 3 weeks.
How much time would be wasted each day sitting around waiting for his bike to recharge again. It's not unusual for us to do 400 miles a day.
The latest Harley Livewire has a claimed range of about 145miles city and 95 on the open road. Performance is impressive though with a 0-60 of 3 seconds.

To summarise, it's all about Horses for courses. If an EV fit's your remit then why not?

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2023, 11:47   #124
Existential Crisis

Quote:
No George , I disagree.

Sometimes in life the unexpected happens.

When he bought it he had no idea that a set of ongoing serious family emergencies some 240 miles away were going to occur. They had never do so in the past. Kid's eh?
The EV suited his needs when he bought it but he hadn't reckoned with the totally unexpected situation that arose.
He has a new £95k motorhome. It would honestly have been faster taking that to London.
I prefer to stop for a cuppa when it suits me , not the car.

My view with EV's is that if they fit your needs ie regular commuting well within their claimed range such as Rocinate's example then there is a very strong case for them and much to like.
I'm not anti EV per se what I do have an issue with is that we are being herded down a route in terms of EV being the only new option shortly and the infrastructure will not be in place to match the demand irrespective of what people say.
As for Benzines Electric motorbike?
Great if you never go far or do a regular work commute but how would it cope with my crowd in May when we go to France Spain and Portugal for the best part of 3 weeks.
How much time would be wasted each day sitting around waiting for his bike to recharge again. It's not unusual for us to do 400 miles a day.
The latest Harley Livewire has a claimed range of about 145miles city and 95 on the open road. Performance is impressive though with a 0-60 of 3 seconds.

To summarise, it's all about Horses for courses. If an EV fit's your remit then why not?
I will politiely disagree with you. Yes, life throws curveballs, but why didn't he know the vehicle and or infrastructure was unsuitable for the trip? I'd have known that and I don't even live there!!! I'm astonished he had an alternative ICE vehicle and chose to take the more compromised option!!

Last edited by Existential Crisis; Jan 27th, 2023 at 11:53.
Old Jan 27th, 2023, 12:00   #125
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Existential Crisis View Post
I will politiely disagree with you. Yes, life throws curveballs, but why didn't he know the vehicle and or infrastructure was unsuitable for the trip? I'd have known that and I don't even live there!!! I'm astonished he had an alternative ICE vehicle and chose to take the more compromised option!!
That's fine George, have a nice day.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2023, 12:39   #126
Existential Crisis

Quote:
That's fine George, have a nice day.
I agree 100% that for the minute the majority of EV are less 'useful' than even the simplest ICE car for the reasons you mention. Take care auld yin, have a great weekend.
Old Jan 27th, 2023, 14:41   #127
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
Well thanks for the laughs, I've now got an image of this poor chap having to abandon his car walk to his meeting (in an office which will be shut due to the power being cut off), but in my minds eye he's doing it bare foot because in the context of national power cuts the shoe shop was closed too, just proving shoes are so over rated.
No no no no no no! you've got to tell it right or not at all...

Having ran out of battery power having wasted 20 miles worth listening to Radio 4 outside of the local minimart the man was forced to strip to a loincloth and break out a huge cross that he had in the boot of the EV, he'd no sooner tied the cross off when his mum appeared and crowned him with a daisy chain crown she'd made earlier and said to him "your not going out you've been a naughty boy!" he wasn't barefoot at all he had his sandals on and although quite worn they eventually got him to Smoggyland before he was forced to wave down an Uber where he then tried to convert the driver to an EV owner but the driver was having none of it having read a thread on VoC forums in the Motoring section
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2023, 17:49   #128
Fastpatsilents

https://www.kiongroup.com/en/News-St...ft-Trucks.html
Fastpatsilents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2023, 20:37   #129
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastpatsilents View Post
As it's a fair link you can have a fair answer.

It says they can be recycled 3 times, what they don't say is how they do it, a lot of the time it's the cells are recharged in a manner we don't have to be able to do it at home, they are then re-insulated and wrapped and put in something less demanding than a car. A Li ion cell that was otherwise alive and healthy can shut itself down simply by being over discharged.

The other option is the cell pack repair, this is where individual dead cells are removed and replaced with new cells, it's a less wasteful way to do things rather than having to buy a whole new sledge of cells but both things end in the same spot, dead and no further cycle use.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2023, 22:23   #130
Fastpatsilents

Watch last night's Fifth Gear Recharge, three old EVS all with plenty left in the tank. Why not unless you are worried that you might see something that challenges your preconceptions?
Fastpatsilents is offline   Reply With Quote