Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30, 2007 how to remove spare wheel tray/wet under rear seat

Views : 5606

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Jan 22nd, 2023, 14:48   #11
simpkinss

Hello Fluffer

I am just in the process of dealing with this very problem, so perhaps I can let you have some initial thoughts on where I am to date.

My car is an early 2007 C30 SE Lux with no sunroof. I bought the car about 18 months ago, with 45500 on the clock, all verified and fully serviced. A few weeks ago I experienced the huge condensation problems listed in other threads, and also noticed the carpet in the rear passenger-side footwell was wet. Searches on this forum and others pointed to the bumpstops for the glass tailgate, which are screwed into the bodyshell and also retain the top edge of the rear bumper. Examination showed a total absence of any sealant around these, so that was the first thing to do.

I then started looking inside. Pulling up and removing the rear seat squab showed small pools of water, and also the black underfelt material on the floopan which others have mentioned, and which was sopping wet. A couple of hours with a blower heater made absolutely no difference, and trying to squeeze water out simply resulted in my fingers going through ithe material, so it had to come out. It is simply retained by being trapped under the front edge of the spare wheel tray, which I also failed to get out but by taking out the 4 plastic screws in the tray I was able to loosen the material sufficiently to release it. I have used the original as a pattern to cut a new piece from some underfelt left over from a recent domestic carpet job.

Next came the carpets, and this needed something of a leap of faith! I am used to working on old cars, which generally have trim fixed with visible cups and screws, so the prospect of pulling off plastic panels secured by poppers and hidden fixings led to some apprehension, particularly given the recent cold weather. The carpet is a moulded product, rather stiff and with a substantial foam backing, and is secured at its edges by the plastic sill trims. I was amazed, and relieved, at how easily these came off! That let me feel down the side of the carpet, which told me that the foam was soaking wet and holding a considerable amount of water. The rear carpet is in one piece, and is held on the tunnel by the centre console. There are 2 torx screws in the bottom of the box under the armrest, and slackening these loosened the console. The carpet is also held by the seat mountings which must be released, another leap of faith as the seats contain airbags. Rather than taking the seats out I decided to remove the bolts and manipulate the carpets out by just tilting the seats, after first taking out the ignition key and disconnecting the battery. After a bit of a struggle the carpet was out, trailing water as it came! The floorpan has channels pressed into it, and these were full of water. Unfortunately these channels also run forwards, so the front carpets are wet too. A day left in the garage drained the carpet sufficiently for it to be brought inside and propped against a radiator, and 3 days later it is dry.

Yesterday I used the same process to remove the front passenger-side carpet, which has dried within a day, and tomorrow I hope to take the final piece out. I have given the car a good dosing with a hosepipe and these are no signs of water ingress - fingers crossed!

I have to say that, having found the felt under the rear seat to be wet, I am sure if you investigate further you will find water in the foam under your rear carpets. Apart from the rear passenger-side footwell, my carpets felt dry on the surface, but clearly as I have found, the foam underneath has been holding a lot of water.

Hopefully next week I will have the carpets back in, and I may take the plunge and remove both front seats to make it easier. Watch this space!
simpkinss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simpkinss For This Useful Post: