Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

temp sensor

Views : 2158

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 22:00   #11
woodturner-fran

Thanks again MalB.

all of that makes complete sense!

Yes I do think that the brakes are AOK. And that the sender is OK too - its just that the piston is offset just a small bit in the block and thats what has it lit all the time. I have a copy of the haynes manual - and in fact the drivers manual actually has the wiring diagram in there too!

Quote:
Plunger in the brake balance switch is flat and flush with the nylon carrier, it should sit over the groove in the piston and not make contact unless the piston is displaced,
This is another thing I need to go back at again (the car is away at the moment getting a few rust spots sorted out). The sender looks like any other sender.. spade contact on top, threaded part, and then a nylon shaft that sticks out the bottom and has maybe 3 or 4 mm of movement in it. The end of this shaft is flat. The slightest push inwards and the circuit is made. When I look down into the block, I can see the groove and its very slightly offset to one side. Obviously when I screw down in the sender, the shaft is resting on the side of this groove and thats whats causing the circuit to light up. My brother (who in fairness is a mechanic) took one look at it and said that the block was the problem, not the switch!

So from what you are saying replacing the block is gonna be serious money? But then if its seized in the (almost) correct position it hardly matters only that if a brake line should burst I wouldn't have the protection that it offers?

At that rate I think I'll do one thing - check and see can I move the piston easily and if not, just leave the wire disconnected.

Thanks again for your help - its brilliant stuff and helps a lot.

Fran
woodturner-fran is offline   Reply With Quote