Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Perplexing noise with wheel movement VIDEO

Views : 671

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 19:43   #1
captainbrown

Default Perplexing noise with wheel movement VIDEO

Hi All, hope I'm doing this right, I'm new to forums in general.

I have had an immaculate 1999 Volvo V40 2.0 Petrol for nearly a year now. I drive about ten miles to work and back every day, about half of which is in heavy traffic.

There is a noise coming from the front end of the car, I think more on the driver's side but can be heard from the passenger side too. It sounds a bit like an old washing machine motor (SEE VIDEO LINK - listen carefully.)

The fluctuation in volume matches the wheel speed but between 20-50mph the pitch is the same, slows down when the speed drops under 20mph and stops at 10-15mph.

When driving away the sound starts only once I reach about 35mph, and doesn't go away at all until I slow right down. Often it comes back when I speed up again, but at a different volume.

It is unaffected by acceleration, braking (including emergency stops in the wet with ABS), steering, clutching, changing gears, weight in the car, tyre pressure or engine speed. The tyres are wearing evenly. The ABS rings look fine and there have never been any warning lights of any kind.

I have tried everything I can think of but I have absolutely no idea what this is and I'm at my wit's end. My father was a mechanic and has no idea, I have never heard a car make this sound before except when the alternator is failing, and then obviously it changes with engine speed not wheel speed.

HELP!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uu6aBbwFtkD1YA3C9
captainbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driveshaft, noise, steering, suspension, v40