Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 vs XC90

Views : 2311

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Jul 5th, 2017, 11:07   #1
NickHoward

Default V90 vs XC90

Hey guys,

As you know, I've had a V90 D4 R-Design for the past 3 months.

It was due it's 3 month check today, and with a few other issues, I felt it was best for them to have it in all day - So I had an XC90 from them as a courtesy car.

I thought I'd jot down a couple of points for anyone who might want to know some differences.

1. The XC90 only had the 8" Sensus display - It was a big disappointment compared with the 12" on my V90. The functionality might be the same, but the "wow" factor certainly wasn't.

I also found the XC90 display was angled higher, compared with a rather flatter look on the V90 - But this may be to do with the size of screen (and of car).

However, it did mean I had to stretch more to reach the other side - Therefor making it harder to use on the XC90.

2. The D5 is much more punchy, sounds better, and drives smoother than the D4.

The D4 is absolutely fine, and if you had it as your only car, you'd love it. But after becoming accustomed to the noises, feel and pull of the D4, the D5 is noticeably different.

3. I'm 6ft 4, and the seat didn't have the extended leg support in the XC90 - If you are tall, it's an absolute must have.

4. They drive incredibly similar, and after 5 minutes, you forget which car you are in.

Yes, the XC90 is obviously higher, but I don't believe it's that obvious when you are driving.

5. If you struggle to get out of cars, don't get the V90 - It's like being re born again compared with the XC90 that you can slide out of beautifully. It's one of the things I miss from my old XC60.

Update:

6. Forgot to mention the HUD - Having never had it before, I was in a pickle between choosing the HUD and NO heated windscreen, or the HW and no HUD (I went with the HUD).

A part of me died when I drove the XC90, and didn't have the HUD - It's only when you have driven a car with a HUD, and then drive one without, that you realise just how valuable the HUD is.

You use it everyday (for the speed, the speed limit signs, sat nav, caller ID). It's really become part of my driving experience, that I only realised I loved once I'd driven the XC90 without it.

If I find any other bits, I'll update the above.

Cheers

Past:MY15 XC60 D4 R-Design Lux Nav, Black

Last edited by NickHoward; Jul 5th, 2017 at 12:29. Reason: Updated
NickHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NickHoward For This Useful Post: