Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fitting a towbar

Views : 21758

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2008, 14:37   #1
ichivers
ichivers

Default Fitting a towbar

I have a witter towbar that I'd like to fit to my 2004 V50 2.0D SE. I phoned up the local dealer who said they only fit Volvo towbars and put me through to the parts department. The parts department told me 2 bits...

1 main bit which costs about £30
A control unit that costs about £50
Software to make it work which costs about £30

Does anyone have any experience of fitting towbars they would be able to share with me ? I almost considered asking the service department if any of the mechanics fancied making a few extra quid out of hours !

Thanks,
Ian.
ichivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 19:42   #2
Marmoset

Fitting the bar itself is pretty straightforward - the electrics used to be hit and miss but one of the parts you require is a module that just plugs into the back of one of the light clusters to feed the signal to the socket - the software update can only be done by the dealer.

I paid £400 for mine to be fitted by the dealer when new as no-one else was making one then, so it;s probably worth asking a local fitting centre to slap the bar and electrics on and get the dealer to just do the update if you don't fancy fitting it yourself.
Marmoset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 10:26   #3
iainmd

Marmoset, is yours a fixed or removable towbar? My local dealer quoted £750 to fit a removable bar. I need to get one fitted in the next few months and I think I'll go to Indespension instead as they quote £450 for a removable bar.

Not sure if their kit uses the Volvo connector from the light clusters though? I'd guess not if a software update is required.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 12:16   #4
RossT

Default Towbar

Try toys 4 cars. They do a wiring kit for the V50 which does not require a software upgrade - £117. Detachables can be had (depending on make) for less than £300 then say £100 fitting from a mobile fitter. Reckon £500 all in.

Be careful with which towbar you choose, many for the V50 (inc Volvos own) require a chunk to be cut out of the bumper!

Those like me with sports models have an even bigger issue as there is only one on the market I'm aware of that does not require a 'cut'.
RossT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 17:11   #5
savage

Hi I installed my bosal detachable towbar myself its not hard you only have to remove the bumper. the bar cost about £220 from Towequipe, then I got Volvo to do the electrics. Part Nos needed are 31257591 (cable harness) 31257593 (control unit) 8698758 (bracket) 30664225 (7-pin plug) then 3 softwhere updates. I got Stratstone to install for £229.99.There was no cut to the bumper and was about 1 1/2 hours to install it.I would highly recomend having the electrics done by volvo as it would invalidate your warranty on the car. And any manufacture likes to shrug there responsability(slippery eals).But please remember haggle hard and phone around because there prices do vary from one dealer to the next.
savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 10:52   #6
RossT

Smile V50 tow bar

Savage

Were the electrics the plug in or wire in type? These days you can buy wiring kits which utilise the existing connectors and simply plug in thus avoiding warranty issues.

Guess your V50 does not have the sport bumper? There is only one towbar I am aware of that fits the sport bumper without the need for a cut.
RossT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 08:51   #7
tanstair
Tanstair

Do you happen to recall which one does not require modification to the bumper?

Alistair
tanstair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 10:34   #8
s40_kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanstair View Post
Do you happen to recall which one does not require modification to the bumper?

Alistair
i think the witter vl44q does not require a cut but this is detachable and costs a bit more than standard and is for the sport bumper model. The bar is stated as being for a post 2007 but fitted it fine to my 2005 sport model.
s40_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 11:30   #9
Marmoset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonto326 View Post
Marmoset, is yours a fixed or removable towbar? My local dealer quoted £750 to fit a removable bar. I need to get one fitted in the next few months and I think I'll go to Indespension instead as they quote £450 for a removable bar.

Not sure if their kit uses the Volvo connector from the light clusters though? I'd guess not if a software update is required.
Mine's a fixed (needed the higher nose weight capacity for a bike rack)- it was fitted 3 years ago so I'd expect prices to be lower, as the post above says.
Marmoset is offline   Reply With Quote