Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help valuing our 960 24v after accident

Views : 1027

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 14th, 2011, 22:27   #1
2V8s

Default Help valuing our 960 24v after accident

Hi,

We have a 960 24v estate on a J plate that we have had since new in the family.

Unfortunately September last year we had a prang (well, someone drove into the rear right) though its not too bad and still useable.

Anyway, although the other side admited liability for some reason its taken until now for their assessor to come take a look today.

The quote for repairs I got was £1500 back in Oct last year

The assessor said this exceeds the value, which I accept, and so they are looking to make a cash offer in liue of a write off so we can keep the car.

The problem is, its been valued very low in my opinion by them, according to a glasses guide but I cant find anywhere or any guide to check for myself that covers these cars at this age!

I know their pretty rare - Its in decent condition, everything works, it has 115,000 miles, in metallic charcaol grey.

What would be a fair going rate for one of these in good condition, with MOT and tax and service history etc, one owner?

Thanks in advance

ps - either way we will be keeping the car, as it's part of the family! we just want a fair sum from them to get repairs done as best we can

Last edited by 2V8s; Jul 14th, 2011 at 22:35. Reason: title error
2V8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 22:53   #2
pookie
Premier Member

If the car is being written off, the insurance company should pay out sufficient money for you to buy another similar model. Check the forums, car sales sites , Auto Trader etc. See what these cars are being sold for- that what you want! Go and buy another- or repair the one you've got.

Salut!

Pookie
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 23:13   #3
brodgar
I've Been Banned

1st== parkers priceguide

2nd== compare with ebayprices

3rd== immaculately serviced/invoices???

so what do they offer?
currently a 940 on ebay 110.000 miles buy it now 595

Last edited by CTCNetwork; Jul 15th, 2011 at 16:48. Reason: Try to resist the urge to click Submit before you've said all you want to say.
brodgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 23:17   #4
940Graeme
Premier Member

As above, but I can't recall seeing one on these actually sell, (as opposed to the asking price), for more than £2,000. I know it's mad, but actual selling prices are still around the £1500-£1750 mark - tops. Very often nearer to £1000.

Best of luck
Graeme
940Graeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 10:51   #5
2V8s

thanks.

I had suggested a guestimated value of £1000-£1500. But he has come up with an offer of £480 which I thought sounded too low, and he seems to be basing off Glass's guide. But we would also keep the car. Not keeping the car is not an opton so we're not looking to replace it or find another. We only want this specific car.

But Glass's website doesnt have this car in it as they dont go back past 1994 and also their own website states they cant be used for insurance valuations especially where for example there's so few being sold/bought that you cant get an accurate price.

regarding the 940 on ebay, Im not sure if what a 940 goes for is comparable as its a 960 24v estate? Whilst possibly similar, this is the top of the range model with all bells and whistles. But maybe that could even count against it these days?

Just wanted to guage really whether he's right and the £500 mark is what we should expect, or whether its more laong the lines of what we thought which was nearer to £1500? I assumed they may be fairly sought after being the top of the line models and quite rare, as I read somewhere they may be future classics. But on the other hand, being 3 litres and not the most economical, maybe people avoid them these days? Got to be realistic.

Last edited by 2V8s; Jul 15th, 2011 at 10:54.
2V8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 11:20   #6
RealEstate
Master Member

Value will depend on car's condition - have you servicing receipts etc? Do all the bells & whistles work?
RealEstate is offline   Reply With Quote