Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

0121 TPS (Throttle Posistion Swith/Sensor)

Views : 1031

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 21st, 2007, 18:43   #1
Bruce_T

Default 0121 TPS (Throttle Posistion Swith/Sensor)

Ive just been out in my car and was coming off a roundabout onto the sliproad of the M5 North. I idiot decides to cut me up in front of me, I brake... and proceed slowly... I put my foot down in 2nd to about 5700-6000rpm and then change to 3rd and I was greated with a huge lurge forward and lack of power for about 1 second. I back off instantly and proceed slowly on the M5 doing a steady 60. I notice when I lift off the car learches but it will accelerate ok ish and boost gauge is reading ok.

I come of at J16 down the slip, lights go red, I brake change to 3rd... stop. Engage handbrake and put into Neutral. The car stalls after a few secs of mad idle ness (1200-800-1200) I started it put some gas on and its ok doesnt stall buty very jerky and not smooth.. I ease off, it stalls (Now getting looks from a heavily modded BMW probably thinking I wanted a race!) I start her up again and use more gas... finally lights change I move off, keep my foot on gas through the gear changes as to not stall... (Funilly enough the BMW stalled and then pulled into a side road) and continues driving home at 30 (30mph zone) and then I engine light comes on... I think of ****...

Pull into my drive, dip the cluth it stall (I forgot lol) and lose brakes and power steering and manage to swing into my drive ok.

Now... That sounds like what happened when I blew off a Turbo hose.. but from what I can see there all ok.. now im stumped...

Whats wrong with her?

AA man came.

Fault Code said 0121 TPS Throttle Postion Sensor

He disconnected the MAF. Same problem.

He disconnect the TPS, locked the car and then unlocked and replaced the TPS plug, started ok and idled on... then learnt its shagged and stalled.

So he recons the TPS Switch.

Are they easy to repace yourself?
There about £50 off PFV.
Bruce_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 21:02   #2
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

What year is the car?
Does it have a cable throttle or fly by wire?
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 21:22   #3
Bruce_T

1999 ME7 Fly-by-wire

I also found out the said item on PFS is for the cable operated throttle so will not work.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 21:32   #4
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Suggest you read the ETM forum, good luck!
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 21:35   #5
Bruce_T

My throttle module was replaced 5k miles ago,

Software and throttle unit, but they did not replace the tps.
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 09:05   #6
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

TPS is part of the throttle module.