Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

oil light on

Views : 4354

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 12th, 2014, 14:34   #1
s2000

Default oil light on

Hi can anyone help me, I have a 2002 v40 2.0 lux, it's done 165000 miles, It drives great, very smooth engine with good power, but now after about 6 mile of driving the oil light comes on ? a garage has changed the oil switch & replaced the oil, but the light still comes on? So they did an oil pressure test & the results came back as oil pressure low ? this is when the engine is hot. I'm baffled as when driving the car everything seems great except for the oil light.
Does anyone have any clues on this, is my car knackered or could it be something silly?? Many thanks in advance....
s2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 14:56   #2
Matt86
Premier Member

Which Engine and year?

At best I'd say keep a consistent check on your dip stick to see if your losing any oil. Also what oil are you using? I've read somewhere that thin viscosity oil has issues in the summer with pressure and vice versa with winter.

Only other thing it could be is the pick up in the sump is clogged maybe? But that's a drain and drop sump job!

Car Photos
Matt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 15:13   #3
s2000

Hi it's a 2.0 T4 Sport Luxury Auto (2002/52)
I don't know which oil was used, the oil light comes on solid, but as I say engine sounds sweet. I just found out the garage didn't do a oil flush if that means anything? They just changed the oil & oil filter..
Old May 12th, 2014, 16:08   #4
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

It might be sludged out, in which case it's best to drop the pan and clean out the sump and oil pump intake screen. If the engine has any oil leaks, just do a series of short oil changes to help clean the block. If it's a non dripper, then use an idle flush just before each oil change. How quickly the oil turns black will give you a good idea about how long an oil change interval is good.

If the engine is using oil or has any leaks, switch to either Castrol GTX 15/40 HM (Summer only) or Valvoline Maxlife 10/40, as both are fairly cheap and contain seal conditioners.

If you want to supply the engine oil, Shell Ultra 5/40 and Mobil 1 0/40 are both good cleaners. Keep the next few oil change intervals short even if the oil does not turn black, say 3K miles only, as that will help clean the rest of the block.

The first indication of sludge obstructing the oil pump intake is often a flickering low oil pressure light at idle, just after a good run. Sludge is a silent non smoking killer, so you don't get much of a warning, although finding any kind of lumps in the old oil is not a good sign.

How long have the previous oil change intervals been and are you using any coolant (Even small amounts of anti freeze in the oil can result in sludge formation)?

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; May 12th, 2014 at 16:22.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 16:26   #5
s2000

Hi, The car is quite new to me not had it that long, it has a full Volvo service history so has been serviced once a year, but a service is due now. There was no oil light flicker before this happened & there is no loss of coolant.
Old May 13th, 2014, 18:54   #6
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000 View Post
Hi, The car is quite new to me not had it that long, it has a full Volvo service history so has been serviced once a year, but a service is due now. There was no oil light flicker before this happened & there is no loss of coolant.
Why do owners buy a T4?........to use the performance.

I have never ever heard of a T4 being sludged out!......modern oils do not cause sludge.

The garage must of put a low grade oil in to get extra work! .......you said the oil light never flickered before.

Put some 10W 40 Castrol Magnetec in the engine together with another Volvo filter change and see the difference.

Volvo recommend 30grade only for low mileage motors from new and are no good for 165,000 mile engines.....you have to move up a notch with the viscosity to counteract the wear.

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 23:05   #7
s2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
It might be sludged out, in which case it's best to drop the pan and clean out the sump and oil pump intake screen. If the engine has any oil leaks, just do a series of short oil changes to help clean the block. If it's a non dripper, then use an idle flush just before each oil change. How quickly the oil turns black will give you a good idea about how long an oil change interval is good.

If the engine is using oil or has any leaks, switch to either Castrol GTX 15/40 HM (Summer only) or Valvoline Maxlife 10/40, as both are fairly cheap and contain seal conditioners.

If you want to supply the engine oil, Shell Ultra 5/40 and Mobil 1 0/40 are both good cleaners. Keep the next few oil change intervals short even if the oil does not turn black, say 3K miles only, as that will help clean the rest of the block.

The first indication of sludge obstructing the oil pump intake is often a flickering low oil pressure light at idle, just after a good run. Sludge is a silent non smoking killer, so you don't get much of a warning, although finding any kind of lumps in the old oil is not a good sign.

How long have the previous oil change intervals been and are you using any coolant (Even small amounts of anti freeze in the oil can result in sludge formation)?
Ok I'm going to try a new oil filter, flush & clean out the sump - pickup, & put in the oil as above, but I thought I would do a oil pressure test first & again after the work is done, do you know what the pressure should be ? Thanks again..
Old May 12th, 2014, 23:11   #8
Matt86
Premier Member

Only other thing it could be is the oil pressure switch. If your down my neck of the woods I'm happy to plug in my DICE kit to your car and see if there's any codes.

Car Photos
Matt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 00:07   #9
magnuz
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000 View Post
Ok I'm going to try a new oil filter, flush & clean out the sump - pickup, & put in the oil as above, but I thought I would do a oil pressure test first & again after the work is done, do you know what the pressure should be ? Thanks again..
I can't believe the garage changed the oil, but not the filter !
A clogged filter would cause low oil pressure !
Oil pressure @ idle... 1 bar (14.5psi)
Oil pressure @ 4000rpm...3.5 bar (51psi)
Engine hot with a new filter.
magnuz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil change, oil expert, oil filter, v40 2.0 t, warning light