Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lights - "Reset Light Switch"

Views : 1892

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2021, 08:32   #1
anotheruser

Default Lights - "Reset Light Switch"

For the purposes of this post, the terms I use are:
High Beam - The "Flasher" light
Main Beam - The "normal" condition of headlights during night driving.
Side Lights - The other light setting :P

I've come from a 56 plate Ford.

When in light conditions that didn't need the main beam headlights on, I used side lights.

I now have a 66 plate V40 with the Thor's Hammer LED lights.

When doing the same thing in the Volvo this morning, it said "Reset Light Switch". I'm not sure if the side lights were on or not and if not, what they're for?

With the DRLs, it's mainly so I have some red lights at the rear but the main beam being on would just be far too much.
Old Mar 7th, 2021, 10:20   #2
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheruser View Post
For the purposes of this post, the terms I use are:
High Beam - The "Flasher" light
Main Beam - The "normal" condition of headlights during night driving.
Side Lights - The other light setting :P

I've come from a 56 plate Ford.

When in light conditions that didn't need the main beam headlights on, I used side lights.

I now have a 66 plate V40 with the Thor's Hammer LED lights.

When doing the same thing in the Volvo this morning, it said "Reset Light Switch". I'm not sure if the side lights were on or not and if not, what they're for?

With the DRLs, it's mainly so I have some red lights at the rear but the main beam being on would just be far too much.
I get the same message in my 2014 V70 regarding sidelights, and I’ve been working on the assumption that it’s an indirect reminder that Volvos, unlike Fords, don’t sound an alarm if the driver leaves their lights on after switching off the engine.

I suspect that the message is poor shorthand for “Use any setting other than sidelights if you want to avoid the risk of a flat battery.”

I got caught by this in my first Volvo, which was a 1998 V70, and nothing changed between that and my 2014 V70. In the case of both V70s, I’d switched over from a Ford Mondeo. Hence both cars got flattened batteries at the start of ownership.

Not sure why it’s this way, really. Stubborn creative pride, perhaps? Or maybe a software logic problem in a car that turns its own lights off if the driver has selected automatic lighting or headlights on.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2021, 22:05   #3
anotheruser

But surely I need some more lighting in dawn weather but not main beam?
Because I get this displayed while driving, not when exiting the car.
Old Mar 10th, 2021, 14:43   #4
Rocinante
Master Member

From your manual:
"When driving for more than 30 seconds at max. 10 km/h (approx. 6 mph), or if the speed exceeds 10 km/h (approx. 6 mph), the daytime running lights are switched on and Reset light switch position is shown in the combined instrument panel, which prompts you to turn to a mode other than 'sidelights' "

So, Volvo doesn't think you should be driving with just these on.

But why is main beam too much ? What is your concern ? They will blind oncoming drivers ? It won't do that at night so it certainly won't do it during the day. So what is your issue with "main beam" during the day ?

Leave them on "Main beam" all the time, and you don't have to worry about it. I can't fathom why you wouldn't, it's safer to have your lights on during the day anyway.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2021, 08:13   #5
anotheruser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
But why is main beam too much ? What is your concern ? They will blind oncoming drivers ? It won't do that at night so it certainly won't do it during the day. So what is your issue with "main beam" during the day ?

Leave them on "Main beam" all the time, and you don't have to worry about it. I can't fathom why you wouldn't, it's safer to have your lights on during the day anyway.
Because whether it's safer or not is a matter of opinion.
As a pedestrian, I have been inhibited in sight when a newer car is driving along towards me having DRLs on... when the sun is shining bright.
We lasted many years without them and I don't understand (apart from the EU directive), why there is a suggestion they're safer. Having lights on when it's bright outside is pointless - like having the window wipers on when it isn't raining. Or is it just an excuse for laziness?

Also having (main beam) lights on "all the time" will surely wear them out sooner. In this world of trying to be efficient, I like to choose when to turn mine on.

Perhaps it's the fact that older (Ford) cars have a "side lights" position, which has been the defacto position during dusk and in the latter stages of dawn for years... for those times you don't need main beams on. I mean, do you drive with them on in the middle of the day? No.

Side lights may as well not exist. The DRLs are bright enough by themselves so they're only providing a rear red light really.
Just not sure why a manufacturer should quibble over a setting I think is appropriate.
Old Mar 19th, 2021, 08:45   #6
Thekilt

We found the lights on our '16 V40 rather bright, especially for oncoming traffic during the night we used to get flashed. I did lower the beam somewhat which seemed to work. But to be honest, they arent THAT bright, when compared to the stupid road cyclists who have the rediculously bright flashing lights. If you want a light on just keep it steady and no that bright!
When i used to ride motorbikes i always use to have the light on as that gave me some reassurance for people seeing me better.
With Volvo's, I have a feeling its always been the case. Main lights are always on for safety.
In terms of "Wearing out" the lights, no chance with the LEDs. They will outlast the car, and only fail due to ingress of water to the circuit board or other other parts failing rather than the LEDs.
Just leave it on Auto and forget about it.
Old Mar 19th, 2021, 12:12   #7
Rocinante
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheruser View Post
Because whether it's safer or not is a matter of opinion.
As a pedestrian, I have been inhibited in sight when a newer car is driving along towards me having DRLs on... when the sun is shining bright.
We lasted many years without them and I don't understand (apart from the EU directive), why there is a suggestion they're safer. Having lights on when it's bright outside is pointless - like having the window wipers on when it isn't raining. Or is it just an excuse for laziness?

Also having (main beam) lights on "all the time" will surely wear them out sooner. In this world of trying to be efficient, I like to choose when to turn mine on.

Perhaps it's the fact that older (Ford) cars have a "side lights" position, which has been the defacto position during dusk and in the latter stages of dawn for years... for those times you don't need main beams on. I mean, do you drive with them on in the middle of the day? No.

Side lights may as well not exist. The DRLs are bright enough by themselves so they're only providing a rear red light really.
Just not sure why a manufacturer should quibble over a setting I think is appropriate.
To take your points one at a time. Some of which have been addressed by others.
Firstly it's not a matter of opinion, "Studies have shown that DRLs can reduce multiple-vehicle daytime crashes by as much as 11 percent."

Secondly, if you're sight as a pedestrian was inhibited by the DRL's, it means you have seen the vehicle, and can either remain in a place of safety until the vehicle has passed, or move to a place of safety, out of the way of the vehicle, which due to it's lights you have seen.

The fact that something has happened "for many years" doesn't mean it can't be improved. We drove about for years, without, seatbelts and airbags, but we have them now, and you hopefully wouldn't dream of driving about without your seatbelt on. Think of the message as the equivalent of the 'bongs' when you start driving without your belt on.

As above, there isn't a suggestion it is safer. There is research that demonstrates it's safer. No it's not an excuse, it is safer !

Others have addressed the longevity of lights, and the power usage I would suggest is minimal, but happy to be challenged on this. Also you choosing when to turn them on, means you are choosing to make your car less safe for other road users, as per info above.

Volvo call them "position lights", which really means parking lights, they are there to light your car when parked up, nothing more, hence the information I gave you from the manual.

Yes I do drive with my "main beams" on during the day, my car is of an age that it doesn't have DRLs, and as above it's safer.

The "sidelights" are there for when your car is parked up.

They "quibble" over a setting, because they have research that shows it's safer. They are trying to keep you safe.

I doubt that any of this will change your view. Hopefully the research info may sway you, but either way, Happy Motoring and Safe Driving.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocinante For This Useful Post: