Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Egr daft question maybe

Views : 1752

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 26th, 2016, 13:21   #1
dieselderv

Default Egr daft question maybe

Hi all I now have my 1998 v70 tdi in pink sorry garnet red..all good happy with it well apart from its pink..will upload pics when I get some time to take some and start a project thread..anyways Egr blanking question might be stupid but forgive my ignorance never actually done it before..do you blank it where it goes into the exhaust manifold or where it enters the inlet..unfortunately I've just done it to the inlet end home made plate,,doesn't leak,,but just been for a spin and can't really notice any difference,apart from I think less smoke on wot..go on tell me I'm a fool and done it the wrong end..
dieselderv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2016, 17:24   #2
skyship007
Premier Member

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselderv View Post
Hi all I now have my 1998 v70 tdi in pink sorry garnet red..all good happy with it well apart from its pink..will upload pics when I get some time to take some and start a project thread..anyways Egr blanking question might be stupid but forgive my ignorance never actually done it before..do you blank it where it goes into the exhaust manifold or where it enters the inlet..unfortunately I've just done it to the inlet end home made plate,,doesn't leak,,but just been for a spin and can't really notice any difference,apart from I think less smoke on wot..go on tell me I'm a fool and done it the wrong end..
If you Google EGR delete there are nearly as many threads about it as a blocked DPF.

In short:
1/ It does not increase the power unless the MAP is changed.

2/ It's a criminal offense to tamper with any emissions gear in the EU or UK, supplying parts is not illegal, but having them fitted is.

3/ If they change the EU regs slightly to include the EGR with the DPF regs, then it will become an MOT failure point. It angers many MOT inspectors anyway AND a check engine light sure is a failure. Disabling that warning light is a real can of worms in the legal and MOT sense.

4/ NOx is very nasty stuff that combines with various other gases present in the atmosphere and prolonged exposure is dangerous. It can pass through the cabin filter if it is not a Gen Volvo active Carbon job.

5/ Blocking or fiddling with the MAP is considered as an engine Mod. So you will invalidate your insurance unless they agree to a track use policy only, or a classic car weekend policy.

6/ The air intake blocks up from Carbon even if the engine is in good condition, so you still need to clean it (New O ring required), about every cam belt interval (Might be 100K km or 10 years).

7/ Selling a car or truck that has a delete kit installed results in a lower price. Not listing it can result in a legal claim against the owner.

8/ The engine will take longer to warm up and that can foul the CAT and DPF faster than normal, resulting in the need for a forced Regen. It does not save fuel!

9/ Most Volvo cars were designed for family use and it's not a good idea to anger the Swedish or Chinese (Post 2004 cars) Gods. They can send you a check engine light.

10/ Cleaning an EGR is easy if it is done every cam belt service (Not cleaned mine for over 100,000 km), if not the 3 mounting bolts can corrode in and on some models they can then shear off. That will make removing it a real PITA!

So, if in doubt, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS and clean the intake and EGR (One metal crush gasket plus a can of Carb. cleaner required).

PS: Posting about how to install an EGR, CAT or DPF delete kit constitutes aiding and abetting a breach of the UK emissions laws. So I hope we are not going to get replies in public, apart from diagrams or links to threads about how to clean the intake and EGR.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Apr 26th, 2016 at 17:35.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2016, 18:12   #3
dieselderv

Default Erm thanks

Erm thanks for that..I don't have a dpf, the nox levels are minuscule.if readable,,and an eml light isn't an mot failure..but thanks
Old Apr 26th, 2016, 22:20   #4
skyship007
Premier Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Erm thanks for that..I don't have a dpf, the nox levels are minuscule.if readable,,and an eml light isn't an mot failure..but thanks
Perfectly OK if left in the garage then ??
Some folks just don't care though, which is one of the main reasons why people who don't smoke get cancer.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2016, 09:36   #5
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Quote:
If you blank off the EGR and its working ok Beforehand, you wont notice a lot. Where as if it were clogged up, Itll be a bit more lethargic as its chewing carbon lumps. Then when you blank it off itll go much better.

Your engine? No DPF, no MAP iirc, Its just a slightly modern old school mechanical diesel. All smoke and no poke. Just how I like them

Ive blanked off Mitsubishi l400 EGR valves that fail open, and eventually kill the engine with hot engine gases, And it transforms the engine.

Some respond well to EGR mods, some don't.

And being as the system on some cars are a mare to get at, requiring a few hours to remove manifolds for physical cleaning meaning a lot more than a can of cleaner, Its just easier to block them off.

Stuff what people say about EGR being an illegal 'mod' There are much more important things the police/VOSA/weightwacthers (delib typo) can 'police' with diesels, Like the DPF gutters and red diesel runners.

BTW, My EGR has been blanked off, removed and retrofitted with older intake and exhaust parts. I run Veg, and have elevated boost and fuel levels, My 760 rolls coal in otherwords. A Prius nightmare.

'09 XC70 SE - 2" lift, D5 225bhp, poverty spec
'18 V60 Twin Engine R Design - 290bhp

Last edited by monkeh; Apr 27th, 2016 at 09:41.
monkeh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2016, 15:16   #6
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
If you Google EGR delete there are nearly as many threads about it as a blocked DPF.

In short:
1/ It does not increase the power unless the MAP is changed.

2/ It's a criminal offense to tamper with any emissions gear in the EU or UK, supplying parts is not illegal, but having them fitted is.

3/ If they change the EU regs slightly to include the EGR with the DPF regs, then it will become an MOT failure point. It angers many MOT inspectors anyway AND a check engine light sure is a failure. Disabling that warning light is a real can of worms in the legal and MOT sense.

4/ NOx is very nasty stuff that combines with various other gases present in the atmosphere and prolonged exposure is dangerous. It can pass through the cabin filter if it is not a Gen Volvo active Carbon job.

5/ Blocking or fiddling with the MAP is considered as an engine Mod. So you will invalidate your insurance unless they agree to a track use policy only, or a classic car weekend policy.

6/ The air intake blocks up from Carbon even if the engine is in good condition, so you still need to clean it (New O ring required), about every cam belt interval (Might be 100K km or 10 years).

7/ Selling a car or truck that has a delete kit installed results in a lower price. Not listing it can result in a legal claim against the owner.

8/ The engine will take longer to warm up and that can foul the CAT and DPF faster than normal, resulting in the need for a forced Regen. It does not save fuel!

9/ Most Volvo cars were designed for family use and it's not a good idea to anger the Swedish or Chinese (Post 2004 cars) Gods. They can send you a check engine light.

10/ Cleaning an EGR is easy if it is done every cam belt service (Not cleaned mine for over 100,000 km), if not the 3 mounting bolts can corrode in and on some models they can then shear off. That will make removing it a real PITA!

So, if in doubt, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS and clean the intake and EGR (One metal crush gasket plus a can of Carb. cleaner required).

PS: Posting about how to install an EGR, CAT or DPF delete kit constitutes aiding and abetting a breach of the UK emissions laws. So I hope we are not going to get replies in public, apart from diagrams or links to threads about how to clean the intake and EGR.

I suppose you think aftermarket HID lamps are illegal too?

Old Apr 27th, 2016, 21:16   #7
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

You can block from either to answer your original question. You will still want to remove and block the vacuum hose to it also.

Also ignore skyship, unfortunately he takes it upon himself to blab on about legal this and that and how liqui moly can solve any problem.

At the end of the day it's your car, do as you please! And from now on post in the 850/v70 section, he doesn't seem to bother there.
Old Apr 28th, 2016, 14:41   #8
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_r_smith View Post
You can block from either to answer your original question. You will still want to remove and block the vacuum hose to it also.

Also ignore skyship, unfortunately he takes it upon himself to blab on about legal this and that and how liqui moly can solve any problem.

At the end of the day it's your car, do as you please! And from now on post in the 850/v70 section, he doesn't seem to bother there.

Aye, a cracking 'Hello' To a new member.

The Following User Says Thank You to monkeh For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2016, 16:44   #9
dieselderv

Thanks folks..with requards to the pump timing,il be going tother side of France in June for a wedding in the pink Volvo and I've looked at the pump belt and it doesn't look new..so I'm going to be changing that next weekend if I can locate the part number,,is there a diy way I can hold the pump in position so the car will at least start so I can travel down to martin (with beer) for the dynamic timing to be set..or should I just do it the Russian way..is there a hole in the side of the pump to screw in a looking bolt like on the old pug 306s