Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tinted Windows

Views : 3240

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 10th, 2006, 18:21   #1
Bob
Club Director

Default Tinted Windows

Excessively tinted windows restrict the driver’s vision, especially in dark conditions and may prevent drivers from seeing other road users and pedestrians.

For motor vehicles first registered before 1 April 1985 the windscreen and front side windows must allow at least 70% of light to be transmitted through them.

For motor vehicles first registered on or after 1 April 1985 the light transmitted through the windscreen must be at least 75% while the side windows must transmit at least 70%.

More details in this PDF File

I stand to be corrected but I believe tinted windows can only be fitted by companies who have a licence to do so (eg, car manufacturers), and many of the organisations who fit the tint film do not. Many of these tint films reduce the light below the 70% threshold.

VOSA are now handing out Fixed Penalty Tickets for cars that do not comply with the regulations, and some Traffic Police are also doing this. If the tint is excessive then a prosecution under various Road Traffic regulations could be made.

Bob

1995 850 T5 auto estate. 280hp 289K miles and purrrs
2009 Jap import V70 2.5T 200hp 51K miles
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 20:11   #2
Aardvark S60

See Here

And Here

Quote Pentagon Supaglass - "This will effectively ban virtually all tinted films fitted to windows forward of the B-Post on any vehicle that is to be driven on UK roads."

However, my "tinted front door windows" Alhambra passes it's strict Private Hire Licensing MOT as the authorised MOT Test Centre, when I openly queried the legality of the tints, replied - "They are unaware of any new regulations"

Ho hum!

I won't be tinting my next Alhambra though and re the new laws our S60 has had only the rear screen tinted.

Last edited by Aardvark S60; Feb 10th, 2006 at 20:18.
Aardvark S60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 21:15   #3
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

Police in the Coventry area have been checking window tints for around 5 years now. My bro got his old Nova tested with there device & it failed, they gave him the option to pay a fine or goto court, he peeled the tint off infront of them & they were happy with that then. As an experiment he got some factory tinted windows (probably JUST darkers than ours) & they failed as well, not convinced the test equipment worked or they knew how to use it
Pedro Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 07:52   #4
adieu
Master Member

Default Tint

I'm Glad my rear window was tinted. I was told by the very nice policeman who attended my wifes accident that if the window had not been tinted the glass would have entered the car covering my wife and son. Ok so I know you can get clear film to do the same job but I will be re tinting my rear window when i get it back.

As for my side windows the tint becomes lighter as it nears the front of the car giving me around a 30% tint on the drivers and passager side windows.

Regards

Iain
adieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 23:51   #5
busbridge
busbridge

Angry

Sadly, the few idiots who applied heavy tints have ruined it for the rest of us.I had windows tinted on my previous car to combat solarheat on one side of the car while driving long distances in France. It was effective in keeping the car comfortable both sides with air con working. Log on to www.ggf.org.uk & you will find that ANY tints forward of the B post are now illegal & enforcement notices are being issued. Clear security film professionally installed appears to be ok.
busbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 00:23   #6
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

if you look hard enough you'll always be able to find someone to blame, after all thats why laws are made
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 09:18   #7
octo0072000

Talking Re tint and private hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark S60
See Here

And Here

Quote Pentagon Supaglass - "This will effectively ban virtually all tinted films fitted to windows forward of the B-Post on any vehicle that is to be driven on UK roads."

However, my "tinted front door windows" Alhambra passes it's strict Private Hire Licensing MOT as the authorised MOT Test Centre, when I openly queried the legality of the tints, replied - "They are unaware of any new regulations"

Ho hum!

I won't be tinting my next Alhambra though and re the new laws our S60 has had only the rear screen tinted.

In doncaster your Alhambra would fail the councill test even factory dark tints are not allowed and privicy glass in rear is a no no cost 1 operater £4000 to have glass changed in a voyager he had bought

octo0072000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 00:49   #8
brad850r

Yea my 850r used to look so much cooler with the windows tinted in the front and back. But i couln't pass inspection so i had to peel the front off. In the future i might somehow try to get them tinted.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 22:06   #9
stlee74

Cool

I've owned cars with and without tinted windows. I do not know what 'grade' tint has been fitted (although it was done professionally), but I have absolutely no problems with visibility, even when dark and raining. Security wise, it's certainly much harder to see inside, much cooler in the summer, and, yes, I'm much happier knowing my kids are protected! I suppose a clear film avoids the shatter too..

It would be useful to know of where a light meter is available, or where to go to test the ammount of light entering the car..

Does the same apply to sunglasses..??
stlee74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 15:21   #10
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee74
It would be useful to know of where a light meter is available, or where to go to test the ammount of light entering the car..
we found most police cars in Cov used to carry them (not sure if they still do) & will test any windows for you if you ask nicely