Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Underwhelmed with T5 performance

Views : 3890

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 8th, 2003, 00:36   #1
Al115
Premier Member

Default Underwhelmed with T5 performance

Hello all.

Late last year I got hold of a '99 V70 T5, and sadly I'm a little underwhelmed with its performance. Perhaps someone here can help me out here with their thoughts.

Everything I'd read about the T5 suggested that it should be pretty fast, and my insurance premiums reflect that (I'm 23, and they're steep!) However, while it does shift, it really doesn't feel like it could take on even a moderately-powered saloon and walk away laughing.

My previous car was also a Volvo, a 480 ES 2.0i, and with a difference in power of around 140bhp between the two I was expecting a bit more of a difference in performance. I've had a reasonable experience of different cars (Ford Fiesta through to Formula First), but this is the only T5 I've driven.

Obviously some decent figures would help, so a "rolling road" visit may be in order. In the meantime, does anyone have any thoughts on whether I am being unrealistic in my expectations - or is this a "fast" car that just feels "slow"? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Your comments appreciated.

Alastair
Al115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 06:59   #2
Mav_UK

Default RE: Underwhelmed with T5 performance

Considering the performance of my V40 2.0T, and the nasty look they guy in the boxter gave me when I sat glued (at a safe distance) to his rear bumper on the A12, the T5 should absolutely fly... If it's not, then I'd say you have issues.

Get it tested to make sure it';s producing the kind of power it should.

Stu
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 10:25   #3
somesy

I posted something similar not too long ago regarding my 850 T5-R. Have also driven a variety of cars and am seriously getting the feeling that most Volvo owners are simply over-exagerrating the extent of the performance achieved.

Have to admit that I'll be selling mine soon as it doesn't live up to my expectations! Will try and get hold of an Audi (R???)S4 as that seems about the quickest thing around by a long way.

Oh, and all the rubbish about sticking to a Boxster and so on isn't that impressive. Look at the stats for an early 2.5 to see what I mean. My motor has struggled with VW v5s, TDis(!!!), 2 litre Vectras, and plenty more. And it all checks out - nothing amiss shall we say.

Simply not impressed :(
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 11:57   #4
Mav_UK

If you have struggled with the VW 1.9 TDi's then you have issues. Whilst they are very good diesels, a T5 should still pull away from them with ease. I don't struggle with them.

As for checking out the stats of a Boxter, I know there mot much cop, but still a Volvo (the smallest estate Volvo make, and costing a mere fraction) keeping up with a Porche is quite impressive.

Sounds like either you have a bad R, or a bad garage looking at it. Have you had the garage drive the car to check it's performance, rather than simply plugging it in?

Stu
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 13:06   #5
somesy

Seriously on all counts - both independent and dealership - it is sound.

Honestly, it might pull a bit from cars you'd expect but in all fairness nothing like I'd expect it to, what with 240bhp and all the 'accolades'.

I am wholly disappointed! Used to drive a Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo - got a bit ridiculed mentioning it on this site actually - but my god there was a world of difference! That car would manage a Boxster...

Appreciate your comments - all valid - but gonna sell and try and get hold of an Audi all the same.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 13:45   #6
Mav_UK

Fair enough, good luck with the Audi hunting. From what I understand they are far 'sportier' than the Volvos - handling and power.

Stu
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 13:48   #7
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

Hi All,

from the experience with my T-5, it never SEEMED fast (as standard)until u looked at the speedo & were doing speeds that could get u a ban. I blame it on the high build quality (to smooth for its own good)
Pedro Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 13:55   #8
somesy

You're right and I concede that going by the speedo the car is definitely quicker than it feels. Just not 'that' quick.

I am driving the auto version as well which I guess I should mention, and it is definitely beefier on the Mways than around town.

Still expected a lot more though!
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 16:33   #9
Dan F
Premier Member

You have hit the nail on the head. It is all down to expectations.
You expected a space rocket, you got a performance car, that is very smooth and MOST deceptive with how fast it is going.

When I got my T5 I expected it to be WAAAAAAAY faster than my old T4, but it didn't feel like that and I was initially disappointed. However, I have now realised that it is indeed faster, it is just that the power delivery is so progressive that it dilutes the whole experience. Older T5s give more 'shove'.
I am not disappointed now though! :) 100mph comes around almost too quickly.

Bear in mind also, that the Auto is more sluggish than the manual.

Good luck with the Audi. Powerful, yes; fast, yes, but watch those transmission losses and look forward to some surprises from other Volvo drivers. ;-)

I hate to see people leave the marque, but you are obviously not suited.
:)
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 18:42   #10
Rooster
Speed freak

The newer T5's with the electronic throttle control feel alot more sedate compaired to the older 850 T5's but they should both be quick.

The T4's are alot more violante still compaired to the T5's, with the T4's you have a good idea of the speed you are doing without looking at the speedo.

Also i have a 98 2.0T S40 and have given a few cars a shock as you come flying past them. I raced a audi TT down motorway at weekend and managed 148mph out of it, it didn't get there as quick as the audi but it still got to 148.
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote