Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'Volvo - Ultimate estate or lost opportunity

Views : 2090

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 23:14   #1
bened

Default 'Volvo - Ultimate estate or lost opportunity

Dear All,
My name is Ben and i am in my final year at the University of Northumbria in the Uk. I study Transportation Design (basicaly car design) and for my final major project i am designing a "Purpose Built Estate Car". I was hoping that some of you who have estate's would be so kind to help me out and give me 5 mins of your time to fill out a questionnaire that will be used as research for my final project. This would be hugely appreciated and an invaluable sourse of research to help me set off on the right tracks for my final project.

1. a) age
b) Sex m/f
c)Occupation
d)Family size
e)Car model and fuel type

2. Why do you have an estate and what do you use it for?

3. Is image inportant and what statement do you want your estate to project about yourself?

4. How could your estate be improved

Many Thanks,
Ben
bened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 23:56   #2
James_N
VOC Member

a) age - 22

b) Sex m/f - M
c)Occupation - Telephonist / Receptionist

d)Family size - Just me, My Mom, and my dad

e)Car model and fuel type - In sig but 1989 Volvo 740GLE 2.3litre

In the first instance, because it was a cheap runaround while i sold my CTR, but it was so good, i decieded to keep it for good. So far its been used for moving junk from my dads work to home, ive helped a mate move house with it, ive moved a double bed with it, ive been to le mans in it this year, and now its going to be used to haul my newly aquired caravan around

3. Is image important and what statement do you want your estate to project about yourself?
I have gone from an 05 reg Civic Type R to an old volvo estate. My image is already trashed but no, seriously, Ive been there and done that. Im not too fussed about image or what people think of me for driving round in my estate. My mates agree that between the CTR and the Volvo, the Volvo wins hands down for everything (bar speed!)

4. How could your estate be improved.
Really, in terms of design, im not sure it can. Volvo have gone backwards in their design of estates. The older ones are big and boxy, so easy to stick sofa's in or any other large objects, but the newer ones are more rounded, making it difficult.
I suppose the only thing that bothers me about the 740 is the fuel consumption, its crippling around town. Whilst a 2.4 Diesel is an option, they are very thin on the ground.
As for the interior, better quality headlining would of been nice, as it always comes off!

thats all i can think of for now.

Good luck at uni, and if i can be of more help, dont hesitate to contact me
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 01:20   #3
alsner
In Volvo limbo

a) age = 32
b) Sex m/f = male
c)Occupation = Househusband, musician
d)Family size = 2 Adults, 2 children and large dog
e)Car model and fuel type = 740 Turbo, 2.3l petrol.

2. Why do you have an estate and what do you use it for? The reason I have an estate is size, load carrying abilities, enough room for the family + 1 extra. My dog can get in and out easily and have more than enough room when on longer journeys. If you've got a family and you have to travel anykind of distance then a big/powerful/loadhauler of a car helps alot!

3. Is image important and what statement do you want your estate to project about yourself? If I was worried about image I wouldn't have bought an old Volvo Estate.

4. How could your estate be improved ? I'm happy with mine its quick enough, fits the family easily, dogs got room and we can still put more in. Fuel economy is not good but that isn't down to it being an estate it because its a big car with a reasonable size engine.

Ali
I will return to the fold when the time is right.

It's Just a Ride
Bill Hicks
alsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 15:19   #4
JamesB

Hi Ben

Glad you found your way over here ... I already replied (here http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=12014) so I won't repeat myself ...

Cheers

James
JamesB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 20:51   #5
johnmorl

1. a) age

b) Sex m/f
Male

c)Occupation
Woodworker

d)Family size
1 kid

e)Car model and fuel type
'97 Volvo 850 diesel

Doubles as a van for work/leisure and a family car.

3. Is image inportant and what statement do you want your estate to project about yourself?
Image is not important and I don't try to make a statement other than the inverse snobbery of owning a relatively luxurious car for relatively little money. (In Ireland the year of registration is on the number plate, a lot of our modern Celtic Tiger cubs rate cars by whether they're '05 or '06 rather than whether they're intrinsicically any good)

It's very good as it is, but here goes...
Could do with a nicer interior with a better quality feel and no rattles and squeaks, my old Audi was a long way ahead in this respect. Self-levelling suspension, better headlights, slightly softer ride without compromising roadholding...rear wheel drive? Or better still transplant my diesel engine into a top spec V90!

'97 855 TDi auto, 150k, RICA, ITG panel filter, Monroe reflex (front), Eibach springs, Brembo discs & Textar pads.
johnmorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 00:12   #6
JUDGENINJA

1. a) age -31
b) Sex m/f - M
c)Occupation - Production Chemist
d)Family size - 3
e)Car model and fuel type 1997 850 T-5s

Originally looking out for a replacement car for the usual crappy car I'm used to driving. I had the choice of a Rover Vi or an 850 T5 estate... Insurance is cheaper on a family car, so went for the estate... other reason BTCC. I prefer estates..
Car is currently stripped out under going lightening work

[b]My volvo is individual. People can tell it's mine from a mile away. the fact that it is an estate has no bearing on it.. apart from the comments."Why..?"

The 850 and classic v70 were just about perfect, flat, full load space access, cubby holes to hide stuff. Estate owners want a car with the capability of using it as a van when required. After that does anyone look at the styling. The newer ones seem to have gone for style over substance........but we could argue all day over litreage of each car....

I suppose you could make more use of the side walls with more cubby holes/storage spaces....Front seats that fold flat to make a full size double bed (my old Nissan Pairie could do that) ..240v supply..fold out sink..toilet..inflatable floor so you don't need to carry an air bed.....OK I'll stop now..
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 15:05   #7
roy chu1

1. a) 29
b) Sex m
c) Shopkeeper
d) 5
e) Volvo V70 Petrol

I have an estate because my dad got it and used it for the cash and carry to haul stock. Anyway he got another and gave me the estate, it comes in handy to pile in 5 adults with bags and trek off for a good weekend. Too many of my mates have coupes which are not that practical. I seem to be the only practical one in the family.

I am not one to base my appearance on forced image based on trends, I make my own mind up on what I like. I like the volvos, they are renound for there history of build quality and safety which is appealing to me. My volvo doesn't project anything about me, it is a tool I use to get around, but at the same time to look after it aswell, I like to drive my cars until they no longer work. These cars do take some maintenence but with that done, they are excellent.

My estate could be improved by more up to date options being available for it, such as external features which add a subtle difference. Or maybe external styling for aesthetics. Maybe improved with a better entertainment system on the inside. But more importantly volvo corporation would be praised for owning up to at least half the faults which go wronge due to poor craftsmanship.

All the best for your project.

Roy
roy chu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 15:43   #8
Fordy

1. a) 38
b) Sex Male
c) Quantity Surveyor
d) 4, 5 including dog
e) 2001 Volvo V70 2.4 Petrol

Use it for work, rest and play! I'm self employed and need to be able to carry large amounts of paperwork at one time when collecting/delivering projects. We go camping and it swallows all the gear needed for a family trip. The dog jumps in the back and we go to the woods.

3. Is image important and what statement do you want your estate to project about yourself?

I prefer practical to image, but there are some brands I would not buy because of an image stigma. Any (wrongly held!) negative associations of being seen to be a 'volvo driver' are more than made up by a reputation for quality, safety and longevity. The V models are so named for versatile, that word captures the ideal image for me...if I was bothered

More power, better economy! I had a V40 before, the V70 is better as it benefits from a flat load area, loads of cubby holes, increased room, roof rails. I only miss the seat belt in the boot feature from the V40 for holding stuff still quickly and easily, far better than the silly bag holder in the V70 floor. Oh yeah, being able to change bulbs easily without scraping the skin off if you haven't got Munchkin hands.

Good luck.
Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 22:17   #9
James_N
VOC Member

good replies so far, i have to admit i expected more of a response to this thread given how many estate drivers we have around there.

Tried putting this on turbobricks.com too?
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 10:45   #10
bened

Talking

Just wanted to say a HUGE THANK YOU for all of your replies, its a great help and very much appreciated.

Thanks again,
Ben
bened is offline   Reply With Quote