Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

CTEK Charger – Where to connect the Neg(-) alligator clamp?

Views : 473

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 7th, 2023, 15:42   #1
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Default CTEK Charger – Where to connect the Neg(-) alligator clamp?

Hi All

I have just stated using a CTEK MXS 5.0 charger on my MY22 XC60 B5 Mild-Hybrid, to avoid the nightmare dead-car issue.

I have set the charger to (Car + AGM) as the 12v battery is an AGM type and connected the Pos(+) alligator clamp to the Pos(+) battery terminal – under the red cover, and the Neg(-) alligator clamp to the jumpstart point screw.

However, I’ve now just read that if the battery has an Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS), then the placement of the Neg(-) alligator clamp is quite important. I’m also not sure if the MY22 XC60 B5 Mild-Hybrid uses an Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS) on its negative terminal?

If the car does have this (IBS) sensor, where should I be placing the Neg(-) alligator clamp?
A. Onto the jumpstart point?
B. Directly onto the 12v battery Neg(-) post?
I’m hoping that it can be (A) above, as getting physical access to the Neg(-) post of the battery is going to require some dismantling and fitting a permanent eyelet connector to it.

Hopefully this makes sense.
Old Feb 7th, 2023, 16:36   #2
giftgrub100
giftgrub100

Would give your dealer a call, would have thought that connections under the bonnet would do, but best check with them.

No point calling them after if its hooked up wrong.
giftgrub100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2023, 17:55   #3
sk546
Master Member

Use the interactive Manual in the Volvo Cars app (this can be found in the third tab along the bottom that looks like a text bubble).
In the section that says 'Explore your manual', type 'Using Jump Starting' and place the Ctek clamps on the same terminals suggested for jump starting (both under the bonnet) and away you go.

Never connect chargers or jump leads directly to a modern cars battery as you run the risk of blowing something up due to the complexity in them these days.

Hope this helps

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sk546 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2023, 20:14   #4
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Thanks both. SK456 you are spot on.

After re-reading the review statement below - which confused me a bit and then finding a post from this forum last year, further below, connecting the Neg(-) alligator clamp to the chassis/earth point - is the correct place to connect to and not directly to the battery Neg(-) post.

"IMPORTANT: Many newer vehicles are equipped with an Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS) which can measure the charge and discharge voltage and calculate the charge level and the general condition of the battery. If your vehicle has an IBS sensor (the sensor is usually placed next to the negative terminal (-) of the battery) then make sure that the charge voltage goes through the IBS sensor. Failing to charge the battery through the IBS sensor may result in a dead battery due to incorrect measurements by IBS."

"Direct connection to the battery bypasses the vehicle state-of-charge monitoring system and will result in confusing warning messages... on my Volvo the sensor is a series element built into the battery negative lead, hence the requirement to connect the charger negative lead to a chassis/earth point (and also why access to the battery negative terminal is not very convenient, unlike the positive terminal access)."