Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Intermittent loss of steering. Scary!! please help.

Views : 886

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 27th, 2013, 00:44   #1
gswede

Default Intermittent loss of steering. Scary!! please help.

The last few months I`ve been having steering issues. When cold I have trouble engaging steering to the left, like the steering rack has to overcome a “nudge”.
When the car warms up, (which now takes about 30 minutes or so, and only under load. Changed the thermostat twice since October with no positive result – ongoing investigation) the steering operates as per normal.

The “nudge” feels more like a fluid pressure issue rather than mechanical.
Let’s say I`m going in a straight line and want to turn ever so slightly to the left, it feels like there is pressure holding the steering back, just for a second or so. During this second, no amount of force applied to the steering wheel can overcome the pressure. Meaning that no matter how hard I turn the wheel it wont pass midpoint to start turning left

I have heard of XC90`s having trouble with their steering rack o-rings. When bad, the steering servo pressure nullifies steering wheel input, as there is the same fluid pressure on both sides of rack.
According to Volvo, they have never heard of this issue on our s40/v50.

I have had the mrs leave the car at the dealers. One of the mechanics will have the car for two weeks as I am off for overseas work. As he is addressing the thermostat issue he is taking the car home after work to more thoroughly diagnose thermostat, seeing how the the engine heats up from dead cold. Happily he does this on his own time, not charging me.

Well, this morning I talked to him and sure enough. The steering did this thing a few times on his way to work. He mentioned the rack issue on other Volvos and proceeded to tell me that a new rack, if indeed it is the root cause, will be 4000USD for the part alone, then labor on top of that.

Have any of you guys experienced the same? Does anybody know how such a st-rack problem would develop?
I remember from my muscle car days the whenever I turned the wheel all the way to one side, the servopump/rack would start squealing as if it was bleeding pressure like crazy.
Guess I`m asking if holding the wheel locked all the way to either side could result in o-rings bursting or whatnot.

Any feedback will be much appreciated.
This car is really beginning to get to my nerves,
Some data, 2004,5 v50 T5 GT 60k miles.

Almost forgot to mention, the problem goes away when the car reaches operating temperature.
Is the steering fluid heated by loop through engine or engine coolant by any chance?

Could it be that the fluid need changing, thinking if it was the o-ring in the st-rack it would be the same problem regardless of temperature.

BTW, steering fluid reservoir is at normal level. Fluid color is dark brownish, no particular burnt smell.
gswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 15:03   #2
ian7675

$4000 Really? Surely that a 0 too many.
ian7675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 16:54   #3
Daim
Brit in Germany

I think it is more so, that the steering position sensor is either broken or damaged. Iirc the P1 Volvos have an electro-hydraulic steering system (not all) which only activates the power steering pump, when the wheel is turned...

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daim For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 23:03   #4
gswede

Got word from dealer mechanic today. They suspect it could be a misalignment or otherwise a suspension problem. Given that the problem only occurs while at speed. When stationary everything feels normal.

Not holding my breath but crossing my limps..:-)
Hopefully I will know more tomorrow.
gswede is offline   Reply With Quote