Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 parking brake woes

Views : 11208

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 28th, 2010, 10:31   #1
msmith

Default XC90 parking brake woes

Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone can shed some light on my problem please?

We've got a 2007 manual 2.4D5 with FVSH.

Just had it serviced at Hildenborough Volvo (72K). The day after they dropped it back, I noticed that it had rolled down the slight incline on our drive and luckily come to rest on a kerb in front of the house. It could have been disastrous.

When I drove the car next I noticed that the average MPG had dropped to 23MPG (normally 32-34MPG)...When I parked again the brake wouldn't hold and I had to use bricks in front of it. I got about 8 clicks from the pedal.

Volvo took the car back a few days later and pronounced nothing wrong with it...Strange..

We have now deduced that when the car is cold the parking brake works very well (it will hold on a typical car park ramp with about 4 clicks) but when it is warm it hardly holds at all...Volvo agree with this but say they don't know why.

Volvo have the car again at the moment and want to strip it down to identify the problem. They want to charge us for the work despite the fact that it was fine until they serviced it and adjusted the brake and then delivered back to us in a dangerous condition.

Does anyone please have any idea as to what could have occurred here please? I have a suspicion that it was driven with the brake still on while they had it..The parking brake components were all changed about 2 years ago.

Thanks in anticipation,

Matt
msmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 10:57   #2
BestGear
Master Member

Not good!

You will have read that the xc90 handbrake is a pretty useless affair in terms of efficiency, even when well maintained.

The only thing I can suggest is that they check the rear calipers for biinding.

Thinking here is that if one or both discs are getting hot, they expand, and when cooled the shoe/drum pressure is released. This has happened (and is achnowledged) on several other vehicles.

Sticking rear calipers would also answer your poor economy.

You could (carefully!) check the wheel/tyre temperatures with your hand to see if they appear hotter/colder than the other wheels after a long-ish run to see if that gives any clues.

When the dealer serviced the car, do you know if they removed calipers etc to clean/inspect the pads etc? I dont expect they would have but you never know. Not sure how they could induce a/both calipers to stick however.

David

Last edited by BestGear; Oct 28th, 2010 at 10:59.
BestGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 11:00   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

has the travel of the pedal changed since they had it ? if the travel is more than before they may have tried to bed in the shoes for better grip , because MOST xc90 users with autos very wrongly NEVER use the parking brake and the drum surface rusts , hence poor grip . i would think most dealer technicians know this and try to improve it whilst testing the vehicle ...

If the travel is still the same then they wouldnt have done anything to the actual parking brake on a service other than adjust the pedal travel if necessary .
You really need the rear disc/drums and shoes inspected again ... you say it doesnt hold when warm , it could be binding and heating up when on the move hence that problem ..
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 11:28   #4
msmith

Hi,

Thanks for the replies - I'm very grateful.

The economy seems to be back to normal again now.

The pedal is harder to push when cold and the brake holds well. When it is warm it'll push to about 8 clicks and seems easier to push..

All Volvo admit to doing so far is "adjusting the brake".They want to take it to bits, but won't do so unless I pay! Seems very unreasonable considering it was absolutely fine 'til they touched it.

Cheers
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 12:48   #5
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith View Post
Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone can shed some light on my problem please?

We've got a 2007 manual 2.4D5 with FVSH.

When I drove the car next I noticed that the average MPG had dropped to 23MPG (normally 32-34MPG)...

Matt
I have the same year model and my economy is around this mark. I envy those who get 33mpg!! A full tank does me 360miles at best, so you are getting 420plus?
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 13:53   #6
msmith

I sometimes get over 500 on a tank. It is a manual and I do keep the tyres on the 39 psi eco setting which makes a big difference..
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 14:03   #7
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Now that's just showing off!! Mine are on eco setting too. No matter how i drive it I always get the same return and is the only major drawback of the car for me so far.
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 14:21   #8
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

out of interest do you have the sidesteps and mudguards fitted? I have, so just wondered if they make much of a difference in economy figures? Surely not enough to account for an 8mpg difference!!?!
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 14:42   #9
msmith

No sidesteps or mudflaps and rarely have to use the aircon..It's also v dirty -I heard somewhere that a car covered in a nice dirt film is more aerodynamic for a similar reason that golfballs have dimples....! Interestingly French supermarket diesel gives me more MPG (driving both in France and in the UK) than the stuff we get here.
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 15:11   #10
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

I always use aircon but I don't think that would use up the 25% deficit in fuel consumption- it's 8% at most from what I have read... maybe it's the asda supermarket diesel I am using? will try some premium stuff to see the difference