Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Self levelling xenons issue since suspension overhaul

Views : 1436

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 6th, 2023, 11:23   #1
rowleray

Default Self levelling xenons issue since suspension overhaul

XC70 2011 D5
Hi all.
I have recently replaced the shockers and springs, front and rear (and link arms) on our XC70. I only replaced like for like - I wanted to upgrade to Nivomats but baulked at the cost of that!
It now is noticeably higher sat on the drive (looks 'proud' again!) and rides much better.
When doing the front suspension I had to disconnect the front level sensor on the right side (that I believe is for the xenon light levelling and of course have refitted it).
Which leads me to my issue.
I am now getting a headlamp failure warning with the 'up and down arrow' by the image of the headlamp on the dash on start up.
And I noticed in the dark that the lights set themselves to the 'default' fully dipped position (far too close in front to be much use!)
Can anyone shed any light (excuse the pun!)?
I am thinking perhaps there is a reset of the system needed - the car thinking its now too high?
Or maybe I have refitted the sensor incorrectly? (I only disconnected it off the control arm - but of course it then hangs loose, maybe its reconnected correctly but has gone through 360 degrees or.....?)
I hope someone can help.
Thanks in advance.
2011 XC70 D5
rowleray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2023, 17:56   #2
100K+
Premier Member

I thought the levelling potentiometers were fitted on the rear suspension. Certainly true on the P2 cars. Perhaps P3 are different. My AWD R had two, one each side, but other P2 chassis with Xenon lights only had one.

Image is a pic from My AWD R with the arm down to the suspension detached. Needs rotating 90. Deg

Cheers
Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sensor 05.jpg (186.9 KB, 34 views)
2002 V70 T5 SE now sold
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2023, 21:34   #3
apersson850
Premier Member

For Xenon you have one forward and one rearward, on the right side. If the car has 4C there's one at every wheel. They are then used for Xenon leveling too.

Note that these are all sensors. They just check how far off level the car is. The Nivomat level adjusting shocks are actually influencing the ride height. These you have at the rear, one on each side.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2023, 07:42   #4
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
I thought the levelling potentiometers were fitted on the rear suspension. Certainly true on the P2 cars. Perhaps P3 are different. My AWD R had two, one each side, but other P2 chassis with Xenon lights only had one.

Image is a pic from My AWD R with the arm down to the suspension detached. Needs rotating 90. Deg

Cheers
Bob
Yes, on our P3 the sensors are both on the offside. I had the same dash warning some months ago and the one arm had become detached and is generally in a bad state. The 'temporary repair' became semi-permanent until this week as I now have the warning back. The sensors seem to be about £140 a pop new.
Old Mar 13th, 2023, 17:27   #5
rowleray

Thanks Bob. sensors front and back - right side
2011 XC70 D5
Old Mar 13th, 2023, 17:30   #6
rowleray

Quote:
Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
For Xenon you have one forward and one rearward, on the right side. If the car has 4C there's one at every wheel. They are then used for Xenon leveling too.

Note that these are all sensors. They just check how far off level the car is. The Nivomat level adjusting shocks are actually influencing the ride height. These you have at the rear, one on each side.
Thanks for that. Yes, sensors on the right front and back. No nivomats I am afraid on my '70, (hence the need for height sensors I guess Lol) - though I have Nivos on the 850.
2011 XC70 D5
Old Mar 13th, 2023, 17:34   #7
rowleray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgeonpost View Post
Yes, on our P3 the sensors are both on the offside. I had the same dash warning some months ago and the one arm had become detached and is generally in a bad state. The 'temporary repair' became semi-permanent until this week as I now have the warning back. The sensors seem to be about £140 a pop new.
Thanks again. No real answers here I fear. I am guessing one of the sensors has gone down then?

In addition - I heard that it was possible to manually adjust the height (as a temporary fix). A quick look under the bonnet reveals nothing obvious.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks
2011 XC70 D5
Old Mar 13th, 2023, 19:40   #8
37 RUBY
Master Member

Hello

Well my best guess is this....when a sensor is faulty it tends to produce a disparity on both beams with one point inboard and downwards giving the car a cross-eyed look.

How long have you had the car...could subsequent technicians/owners raised the levels as the suspension aged?

Do the headlights cycle equally upon first start or is one wayward and doing its own thing?

If they're equal you could try raising them. See image

...in the meantime I'm on Vida trying to find information re calibration/testing your sensor. Ive done this before for a friend but cannot for the life if me locate the correct section. Lack of Vida use and my advancing years.
Will come back with an answer.

Edit : there is a position sensor calibration within Vida once connected to your vehicle.

Check your PM's/email.

Last edited by 37 RUBY; Mar 13th, 2023 at 20:19.
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 37 RUBY For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2023, 15:14   #9
rowleray

Thanks all.

I have a really good Volvo guy just round the corner (ex Riverside mechanic, did his apprenticeship at Volvo). So he plugged in for me and sure enough, as I suspected and said in one of the follow up posts, the front sensor was faulty - won't calibrate. Ive fitted a new one (£150!) and he's calibrated it - all okay now.

Still dont know if there was a manual adjustment option ???

Please see further issue I am having - new post. Cheers and thanks again all.
2011 XC70 D5
Old Mar 16th, 2023, 15:36   #10
apersson850
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowleray View Post
No nivomats I am afraid on my '70, (hence the need for height sensors I guess Lol)
Cars with Nivomat still have the separate height adjustment of Xenon lights. I know, since I have it.

The manual adjustment is there. The purpose of it is to set the two lights to the same and correct level, once the automatic height adjustment has done its thing. The automatic adjustment will just set the adjustment motor drive at a certain position for each car level measured. That position can still be way off, so you have to mechanically set it to the correct angle of the lamp housing.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote