Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Looking for P1800

Views : 1475

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 20th, 2012, 21:28   #1
charlski

Default Looking for P1800

Hi, New to forum , looking for a P1800 pref late 60's car, looked at a few on e bay, and i am new to this car, (although wanted one since the 80's !!) and the few i have looked at are less than honest !! if anyone knows of a good affordable one, would be great to know ... looks like a just missed a lovely one in the Isle of Wight !! ... Damn !!

Thanks

KC
charlski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlski For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2012, 11:14   #2
paul staines

The one from the isle of wight turned out to be a bit of a shed. I know as i paid well over the odds for it £8,500 paid +£500 to have it delivered.True value approx £4,500. So many things wrong,so many parts missing,so many jobs done poorly.The paintwork that looked good in the advert looks like it was applied by brush.poor chromework and rust,bad door shuts due to poor fitting replacement sills. Be carefull dont buy with your heart like i did.On the plus side engine now fully rebuilt,carbs fully rebuilt,new clutch,electronic distributor,all new chrome tims,spears ,caps window surrounds gutter trims,all other chrome sent for refurb.some great quality quarterlights and window surrounds from america.All new rubbers and seals.Next job is to strip the paint to see what horrors lie beneath. good luck Paul
paul staines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2012, 23:13   #3
charlski

hey paul ... sorry to hear that, it looked good in the pics !! just goes to show as you say dont let your heart rule your head, think this will make me doubly aware ! trouble is paint can cover a multitude of sins.
charlski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 10:28   #4
paul staines

Smile

The plus side to this is,when its finished it will be rust free and mechanicaly sound as i am replacing many parts.should be ready feb. Then its ready for interior re-trim,i think black alcantara with red stitching.Although i am enjoying doing this an extra 8k on top of the purchase price of the car hurts.When its done its for keeps ! Regards Paul.
paul staines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2012, 16:48   #5
skysurfer
VOC Member

I bought mine unseen for £5k about 6 years ago. They say the camera never lies but unfortunately it does ! Should have known better, but had been looking for some time and they rarely come up nearby. I was also fussy about the spec (B18, colour and all that). Having said that, the problems were mainly superficial......chrome, interior, minor mechanical stuff....and the shell itself was relatively rust-free and it had been properly resprayed in its original colour. I suppose I've spent about £3k on it over the six years and it's now very presentable - but no show pony. However, you have to be philosophical about these things. £500 a year is a lot less than the annual depreciation of an average eurobox. There are still things to do but they can wait whilst I spend time enjoying it. I do think that these cars will gradually increase in value over time which makes the investment in improvements all the more worthwhile.
skysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skysurfer For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2012, 10:39   #6
blind-dog-birtles

Hi KC.
I have a 67 1800s in green that I'm thinking of selling.
Car was painted during the 90's and still looks good, lots of new trim incl bumpers, grill, side trim etc. Virtually new tan interior but dash needs tidying. All mechanics are good & the car is currently mot'd & on the road.
Not sure of price, plan was to put it in upcoming bonhams auction @ harrogate, where I would hope to reach 10k, I don't fancy the eBay route with such a nice car. Your welcome to come & view before it's offered on the open market. I'm in wakefield, west yorkshire so just up the M1 for you.
Cheers, Pete 07939 504325.
blind-dog-birtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 18:26   #7
red13

Default volvo p1800s

Are you still looking for volvo? I've a 1967 p1800s.
If so and want to take a look I'm in Oxfordshire.
Thanks Jo
red13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 16:53   #8
midgetman

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlski View Post
Hi, New to forum , looking for a P1800 pref late 60's car, looked at a few on e bay, and i am new to this car, (although wanted one since the 80's !!) and the few i have looked at are less than honest !! if anyone knows of a good affordable one, would be great to know ... looks like a just missed a lovely one in the Isle of Wight !! ... Damn !!

Thanks

KC
Hi are you still looking for a p1800 ? if so im contemplating selling my 1972 p1800e. Please ring me for details, 07941772013.
midgetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 17:41   #9
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

may have a p1800s for sale in british racing green left hand drive tho but is a very sold project and i know a good one from a bad one ( no !! panels needed apart from out of chioce one rear floor pan which is with car but is the pressed type and will cost extra ) if any good asking price in its present state is £4,500 b20 with overdrive and it is the next car inline so dont hang around to long or in the new year its next into workshop
v5 present and the car has everything to do it chrome work etc bumpers its a runner aswell so can hear it run and drive it

on request i can post a few pics when next over at workshop

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !

Last edited by 123GT-AMAZON; Nov 16th, 2012 at 17:44.
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote