Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Civic question

Views : 1173

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 10th, 2013, 14:43   #1
jeffreyt

Default Civic question

one of my daughters in law is thinking of getting a Honda Civic and asked me what I thought of them,I had to admit I didn't really know anything about them.She has been offered an '08 1.8 petrol at a good price by one of her work colleagues and is quite taken with it.
I tried going on the Civic forum with a few general questions but didn't get much back in the way of practical inf so I will stick with the forum I know.
Anyone had any day to day experience of these recent Civics?
I know they had some teething problems with this current model but that must have been 10 years ago.
Thanks.
jeffreyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 16:13   #2
Brodick
Master Member

Honda recycle their cars around the 6/7 yr mark
all new civic came out the back end of last year.
They are not as reliable as they used to be. But then what is these days
Cracking small hatchback if she gets a good example.

Try this forum: www.civinfo.com
Brodick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 17:46   #3
Essexboydave

I currently drive a 2010 Civic Type S GT and before that I had a 2007 Civic 1.8 I-shift, if the first one hadn't been good I wouldn't have gone back and bought a second one As far as I know the only problem with the 1.8 petrol Civics was with the handbrake and if it was made with the earlier mechanism it should have had a recall to fix that. I can't really fault the 1.8 Civic, I have driven the 1.4 as well and found that to be quite underpowered and gutless but the 1.8 is quite quick and responsive but at the same time pretty economical. She should have a test drive first though as not everyone gets on with the steering which while light does have a bit of a go-kart feel to it, cornering wise though it is pretty good and would leave my volvo for dead down a twisty road!
One of the better points about the Civic is it's load capacity, with the rear seats folded down it'll take loads of luggage for the size of car and if it's a 5-door it should have rear seats that will also fold up into the seat backs, this featured coupled with rear doors that open to 90 degrees means you can get some pretty big boxes into the back through the side doors!
The only extra which I consider a must-have are rear parking sensors as the rear visibility is a bit restricted but I gather they're quite easy for a Honda dealer to fit. On the whole I've been very pleased with ours
Essexboydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 19:58   #4
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodick View Post
Honda recycle their cars around the 6/7 yr mark
all new civic came out the back end of last year.
They are not as reliable as they used to be. But then what is these days
Cracking small hatchback if she gets a good example.

Try this forum: www.civinfo.com
Good forum, I'm a member. I have a 1.4 Mk8 Dsi. Cracking motor and I'd recommend one to anybody. The 1.4 is under powered but a reliable car. My Civic has a 138k on the clock and drives like new. The 1.8 has more grunt and the 2.2d is powerful and economical. You won't go far wrong with them.

TT
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 12:30   #5
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Are Hondas not just the Japanese version of a Volvo? Reliable, solid, dependable, not particularly exciting at times but the sort of car you would feel happy about if one of your family turned up in it. Good solid choice.
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 12:45   #6
wooble
Stay gold baby!

I worked at an independent Honda garage in 2010-2011, and all I can say is I don't remember ever having to do anything other than routine servicing on the civics. I will say, though, that replacing the fuel filter is a pain, it's in the fuel tank.
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 09:37   #7
Rawas
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
Are Hondas not just the Japanese version of a Volvo? Reliable, solid, dependable, not particularly exciting at times but the sort of car you would feel happy about if one of your family turned up in it. Good solid choice.
So is Subaru, Toyota, Nissan, Suzuki and Mitsubishi. Reliable yes, dependable yes but definitley not solid and not particulary exciting at all times!!!
Rawas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 10:01   #8
Harvey1512
Premier Member

My perception, and it is that, is that Honda are slightly above those brands. My wife has a Juke on lease and the internal plastics and buttons on that are not great quality. I have relatives who have Suzuki's, Toyota's, Subaru's and Mitsubishi's and none are that great in terms of cabin quality, certainly nowhere near a Volvo for example. Okay but not premium. I would expect more from Honda. That perception may be wrong of course.
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 10:34   #9
Rawas
Master Member

I am sorry harvey, I find no reason what so ever to exempt Honda from the list. Not being opinionated, but everytime I see a Japanese car I see some sort of Ugliness, disproportions, dullness on top of their crappy plastics. I believe that the history of the Japanese car industry can be summarised as a series of funny experiments, and that they still needs years to catch up with the Europeans, at least in terms of design issues.
Can anybody please find any aesthetical values in this:

http://blog.trovit.com/9-generations...e-honda-civic/
Rawas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 10:39   #10
Brodick
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
My perception, and it is that, is that Honda are slightly above those brands. My wife has a Juke on lease and the internal plastics and buttons on that are not great quality. I have relatives who have Suzuki's, Toyota's, Subaru's and Mitsubishi's and none are that great in terms of cabin quality, certainly nowhere near a Volvo for example. Okay but not premium. I would expect more from Honda. That perception may be wrong of course.
Would say Lexus, Infiniti, Acura were more in volvo's ball park
That is to say the premium brands from Toyota, Nissan & Honda
Brodick is offline   Reply With Quote