Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacement of filament bulbs to LED

Views : 2900

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 12th, 2020, 15:46   #1
Yelper85

Default Replacement of filament bulbs to LED

Hi all,

Looking to change the all filament bulbs both internally and externally (not main beam) for LED versions. The list I'm looking to change is as follows:
  • Courtesy (front and back)
  • Vanity
  • Glove box
  • Footwell (are these already LED?)
  • Mirror puddle lights (are these already LED?)
  • Front and rear indicators
  • Rear fog
  • Reverse light

I've not had the covers off yet to check, but the vanity mirrors according to the manual use tiny oddball T5 bulbs.

Has anybody successfully changed some/all of that list for LED where applicable?

If so, I assume the indicators, fog and reverse light will need to be CANBUS compatible whereas the interior lights don't?

Cheers for looking.
Yelper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 00:09   #2
Lonsdale

This any help?

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=137121&highlight=led+interior+lig hts[/url]
Lonsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 09:25   #3
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonsdale View Post
This any help?

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=137121&highlight=led+interior+lig hts[/url]
Hi Lonsdale,

Apologies, I completely missed out a paragraph in my initial post!

What I meant to include was that I have an Early 2016 V60 so wasn't sure if some of the other posts on the forum are correct due to the age as some of the bulbs they mention have already been changed to LED as standard, like the brake lights.

Many thanks for the link though, much appreciated and clearly shows it can be done to some degree, although I don't like the idea of wedging paperclips and foil in to work!

If anybody has any experience on this with a newer model (say 2015+) that would be most welcome.
Old Nov 27th, 2020, 18:30   #4
Yelper85

Evening all,

Does anybody know if the number plate lights need to be canbus compatible if swapping to LED?

I have read that the inscription models came with LED lights as standard and that the fittings are a direct replacement. This seems highly unlikely to me but if anybody has info or experience on this, please do let me know.

The other thing is why did Volvo not state the length of the C5W bulbs in the manual. They have for the other bulbs but not the festoon bulbs?
The Following User Says Thank You to Yelper85 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 7th, 2020, 08:02   #5
Yelper85

Bit of an update.

Changed the reversing lights to LED, they work fantastic.

The number plate light is 38mm long. Not tried LED bulbs yet.

The vanity bulbs are held in a metal ring so you must ensure the width of any LED is indeed 2mm and insulated, however there's room for extra length.

All courtesy lights are standard T10 wedge type.

The glove box is indeed 43mm.

Pictures attached.

One thing I have noticed is the manual states the cargo area lighting is also a 43mm festoon like the glove box, however mine is already an LED like the footwell lights. I assume this 43mm festoon is for those that had the light added on as an extra like the the 12V boot socket in addition to the standard LED unit in the boot lid (I think the Cross Country comes with both of these as standard?)

It's very strange that Volvo decided to make some bulbs LED and some filament, especially with how safety conscious they are. Not having lights (and 12V socket) in the sides is also a real pain in the backside and again not very safe in my opinion!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Number plate 1.jpg (46.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: png Rear courtesy bulb 1.PNG (149.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: png Vanity 1.PNG (270.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Vanity 2.jpg (48.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Vanity 3.jpg (41.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Vanity 4.jpg (31.9 KB, 26 views)

20 plate XC60 Inscription Pro T8 PHEV + Polestar
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yelper85 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2020, 10:40   #6
Yelper85

Apologies, I said the vanity bulb was 2mm width, it's not, it's 5mm.

I've ordered some ultra bright COB LED units from eBay

The Following User Says Thank You to Yelper85 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 16:50   #7
Yelper85

Hi all,

Just a quick update, changed the glovebox, vanity mirror lights, puddle lights and reversing lights for LEDs.

The numberplate lights were easy and the picture actually makes it look more bright and white than it is, which I didn't want. I turned the LEDs 90 degrees and the result is a very sleek, soft white effect where you know it's white LED but not stupid boy racer white like having 2 x 50W floodlights on the numberplate that light up 100m behind you!

The interior courtesy lighting I ended up buying Philips Ultra White Vision halogen bulbs as LED bulbs with CANBUS won't fit in the light fixtures due to the length and if you use non-CANBUS bulbs (I tried Philips Xtreme ones), they stay lit for 10-15 minutes after they go out as the current drains away through the cars module/controller. I did get CANBUS bulbs the same size as original bulbs, however the built in resistors wouldn't go in the holders without damaging them so I decided to get as close to white as possible.

The tailgate and footwell lights are LED already and are a pain to remove, so I decided against it, plus the whiter courtesy halogens match the footwell now rather than having a mismatch. Looks sleek in my opinion.

I've not got a pic of the glovebox or reversing lights yet. Will post when I remember to get a pic, however the reversing lights are sooooo bright it's like a police helicopter has turned the search beam on!

Glovebox box wise, this is indeed an oddball 43mm and the only LED I could find was a £15 Philips Xtreme, however it's super bright and looks amazing.

Puddle lights, very easy to change indeed. No need to remove the glass, just move the glass up, but a bent piece of metal in the slot at the bottom (picture 5, a screwdriver will work but it's harder to do) then push down.

Vanity mirror wise, this was tricky. Thought I'd damaged the fitting as it's difficult due to the limited space and ended up causing sparks due to how the fitting is constructed. I purchased a second hand fitting and striped it down to understand how it worked! Pics attached. The fitting is actually very strong, just need to ensure the LED leads are bent up and out so when you fit it, then hold tight.

Hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Number plate lit.jpg (37.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Puddle lit.jpg (62.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Vanity lit.jpg (19.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: png 4.PNG (292.7 KB, 53 views)
File Type: png 5.PNG (367.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: png 3.PNG (202.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: png 1.PNG (214.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Vanity strip down 1.jpg (61.8 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Vanity strip down 2.jpg (42.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Vanity strip down 3.jpg (46.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Vanity strip down 4.jpg (29.0 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Yelper85; Feb 26th, 2021 at 16:53.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yelper85 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2021, 13:18   #8
Easington
Master Member

Looks like you've got a bogey up your nose on pic4.

Only joking - be interested to know which reversion lights you used please
Old Mar 2nd, 2021, 08:53   #9
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easington View Post
Looks like you've got a bogey up your nose on pic4.

Only joking - be interested to know which reversion lights you used please

Forgot to put my lipstick on as well

I'll post a pic of the lights in action ASAP, however the link to them is here:

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/38...onet-bulb.html

Fitted in seconds and no warning errors. Honestly one of the cheapest and best upgrades you can do for the car alongside the puddle lights.

I also upgraded the Xenon bulbs to Osram Blue Boost. What a difference! No blue at all, pure white just like the LED counterparts. Cost a bit but soooo worth it in my opinion. I'll post one of the Xenons as well!

Old Mar 2nd, 2021, 13:27   #10
Easington
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelper85 View Post
Forgot to put my lipstick on as well

I'll post a pic of the lights in action ASAP, however the link to them is here:

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/38...onet-bulb.html

Fitted in seconds and no warning errors. Honestly one of the cheapest and best upgrades you can do for the car alongside the puddle lights.

I also upgraded the Xenon bulbs to Osram Blue Boost. What a difference! No blue at all, pure white just like the LED counterparts. Cost a bit but soooo worth it in my opinion. I'll post one of the Xenons as well!
You're not a true Derbyshire guy unless you wear lipstick!

Cheers, will take a look at those