Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 240 GL - LPG - low, slow and economical

Views : 1279

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 4th, 2014, 14:48   #1
StvC

Default Volvo 240 GL - LPG - low, slow and economical

Hi All

Up for sale is my 240 GL due to emmigration.
I was going to turbo this and keep it as I love the metallic beige. I was going for a low cruiser and there where it is at the moment.
It's a great vehicle, solid as you like NO rust, undersealed and very straight except the below and only 112k miles.

The only things thing that let it down is the elderley owner before me has obviously caught a post or something and there is a scrap and dent on the drivers side. As such it's halfway between being a minter and a rat look (perhaps matt black) type cruiser. See pictures. It also has a slow puncture in one of the tyres which take about 10 days to go down. Finally the rear speaker connections cannot be plugged in because the LPG tank is too tight with the parcel shelf and the heated seats are not working (not sure why, he said they're just not connected but why wouldn't you just conenct them up again if it was that simple).

Beyond that, I can see the car has been well maintained by the elderley couple's son on his drive (he owns a 70s 911 and a massive 60s Merc in some trendy part of London). It has a heavily annotated Haynes Manaul but no receipts or service history.

The all important LPG conversion is a very tidy job done by a professional outfit in Exeter (I forget the name) and the vehicle is registered on the LPG database.

I believe the vehicle is known to the forum from the original auction which I eventually won after a couple of relists...well I was able to go and get it within 24hrs and the guy was not very experienced on ebay and I can confirm the purchase was one of the more pleasurable ones by an honest seller.
I bought it running lumpy and achieving a terrible MPG and the LPG required setting up again to make it run ater the lumpy running issues had caused all the mixtures to be out of kilter. After a manifold gasket change, injector seals and some tinkering with the K-Jet injections by a professional auto-tuner the vehicle's running on petrol issues were sorted.
I then took it to the most reputable LPG centre in my area to have the LPG side of things set up and can now report a great running little B200 engine.

Finally, following the guides on Turbo Bricks I lowered the suspension as much as I could by cutting the springs (to get an idea of the look before replacing with GLT suspension) and fitted some Virgo alloys from a 242GT which set the car off a treat. And that's how it sits at the moment. MOT until September (I think, need to check) and ready to go.

Price is £1200 but I am looking for a quick sale so for a hassle free transaction I would accept a fair offer. Although the car is honest and straight I am aware they can be got much cheaper but I value the LPG system and the alloys at over half the asking price and have spent a fair bit getting it running right.

For further info, PM me or reply to the thread here or text me on 07980301619 - I have no problems with delivering this anywhere if you want me to quote.

Pics coming up next post.
StvC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 15:02   #2
StvC

Old Feb 4th, 2014, 15:08   #3
StvC

Ooo, forgot to add that I have both sets of keys and even the orginal key code tag still attached as a nice little memento of it's well looked after life.

Locking wheel nuts and original steel wheels also included.
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 23:34   #4
Volvorama
Too many cats

Default Mmmmm

Could be interesting but I'd have to change it to manual. Doing this at the moment on another one! Dudley 633132 - give me a ring if I don't get in touch first.
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 23:57   #5
StvC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvorama View Post
Could be interesting but I'd have to change it to manual. Doing this at the moment on another one! Dudley 633132 - give me a ring if I don't get in touch first.

Well the nature of the car is such that spirited manual driving is less of a liklihood than sedate cruising. I used to drive manuals exclusively but there is something to be said for not dipping the clutch in traffic jams and holding your partners hand while cruising without worrying about gear changes and the like.

I think it suits a car as slow as this tbh.

Vehicle is only down at Coseley if you want a closer look.
Old Feb 9th, 2014, 01:45   #6
StvC

Car now sold. Very happy with it's new home.
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 01:10   #7
V8brick

Really liked the colour! Very unusual!