Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Looking at a 98 V70 with a code for speed sensor/trans limp

Views : 767

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2011, 11:04   #1
Canker

Default Looking at a 98 V70 with a code for speed sensor/trans limp

I searched around last night and figured out the speed sensor code usually means the ABS module needs rebuilt/replaced but would that also put the trans in limp mode? I've also read that it could be a wheel speed sensor or a reluctor ring. I asked a bunch of questions in the email I sent the owner but didn't get much info in return.

here is his reply
"No the abs light is not on just the check engine light. I'm not a macanic but I believe its the speed sensor in the transmittion. Cause the tanny goes limp."

http://huntington.craigslist.org/cto/2488788817.html

I haven't seen the car in person yet and it sounds like it has been sitting a while. The trans being in limp mode scares me. Don't want to buy the thing and then find out the trans is trash.

I read on one of my many searches on the net that disconnecting the ABS module if that is the problem would get the trans working again or at least the first 3 gears. Haven't come across that anywhere else though.
Canker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 11:24   #2
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

Right then .....

Firstly the two Faults ARE NOT RELATED ...

if the ABS light is on or its "Intermittently" on it Probs IS the ABS module

If the ABS light is on & THE SPEEDO IS NOT WORKING its the Front N/S ABS sensor faulty.

Quote:
"No the abs light is not on just the check engine light. I'm not a macanic but I believe its the speed sensor in the transmittion. Cause the tanny goes limp."
as he said ^^^^^ the ABS light is NOT ON only the "Check engine Light"... therefore the fault lies with the Speed Sensor IN THE GEARBOX & NOT the ABS Module.

Keith
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 11:35   #3
Luxobarge
Premier Member

If the check engine light is on you need to read the codes and find out why - anything else will be guesswork.
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 12:12   #4
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

My reaction? Walk away. There must be more out there.

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 07:58   #5
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

It depends which exact model year the car is.

Over various model years the auto transmission took vehicle speed reading from the ABS or a speed sensor on the gearbox.

Either fault is not the end of the world.

Your call, if the car is good otherwise and the price is right, considering the fault, it could be a cheap DIY fix.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 08:32   #6
Canker

According to the owner the body, interior, and all the electrical do dads are in good shape. The price is around half of what they normally go for around here. I'll probably go look at it on Saturday. If I can talk him down some more I may risk it. I need to figure out why he hasn't just paid to have it fixed since it shouldn't cost much even to have a volvo dealer do it if the speed sensor is the only problem.
Canker is offline   Reply With Quote