Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Chongwong's B*ggered v40 thread

Views : 1736

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 26th, 2014, 11:31   #1
chongwong
Incoherent New Guy

Default Chongwong's B*ggered v40 thread

I figured that as I seem to only appear on this forum when I've broken my car in some way, that I should isolate my idiocy to one thread, so here goes.

1. The handbrake issue is still ongoing, however the temporary 'adjustment' that I made roughly a month ago seems to be holding the car without issue, so it can stay as is until I get a proper job.

2. A new issue has arisen after entering a village in Fontainbleau, France (possibly millet-la-forret, can't really remember) on holiday at 50kph and coming across what can only be described as a man made (unmarked) trench in the road with a bit of a clunk. Said clunk now occurs every time the front left of my vehicle hits any form of bump be it a speed-bump, pothole, or some paper inscribed with braille. I think I've narrowed it down to the most probable cause ( twisted/out of place rubber gusset(bushing) thingy in the first picture, difficult to see), but figured I should post all the photo's I've taken of that side encase somebody wishes to call me a complete retard. Enjoy!

Edit: Turns out gusset is the completely wrong word, brain fart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0095.jpg (115.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0094.jpg (68.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0093.jpg (86.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0092.jpg (105.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0091.jpg (75.6 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by chongwong; Aug 26th, 2014 at 11:38. Reason: Correcting idiocy
chongwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2014, 11:37   #2
chongwong
Incoherent New Guy

better picture of rubber bushing, i fear that this being out of place is allowing metal to hit metal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0096.jpg (151.0 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by chongwong; Aug 26th, 2014 at 11:39.
Old Aug 26th, 2014, 12:09   #3
chongwong
Incoherent New Guy

Also, I forgot to ask, If I get hold of a ramp, Will relocating the bushing be as simple as unbolting the top mount from under the bonnet, and sliding it back into position? (assuming nothing is broken)
Old Aug 26th, 2014, 12:27   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

It looks to me like you may have burst your shock, in so much that oil has squirted out and reduced the damping ability. It looks a bit wet under there.......
My shocks developed leaks and sounded just how you described and the only cure was replacement.
It is a simple but not quick job if you know what you're doing.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2014, 12:50   #5
chongwong
Incoherent New Guy

Having had a second look, it seems to be relatively dry, and looks more like road grime than oil (i may be wrong), and it seems to be driving absolutely fine.

That said, i'll defer to your better knowledge if you look at this and still think the same, as I really have no idea how much/little oil these squirt out when fooked, and whether or not it would shoot out the bottom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0098.jpg (86.6 KB, 25 views)
Old Aug 26th, 2014, 12:54   #6
v40alex
I do like a V40

Quote:
Originally Posted by chongwong View Post
Also, I forgot to ask, If I get hold of a ramp, Will relocating the bushing be as simple as unbolting the top mount from under the bonnet, and sliding it back into position? (assuming nothing is broken)
No, you will need shock compressors and if the spring needs replacing, to disassemble the shock - dangerous if you are not confident to do the job so do some reading . It's easy to get the shocks out, it may be preferable to then take them to a garage to be fixed which shouldn't cost much. Also a ramp won't help as the wheels need to be off the ground, you need a jack and stands or a 4 post lift. Could be a broken spring, if so, they need to be replaced on both sides.

Do you know what brand of drop links are fitted and when were they last changed? These are normally the source of clanking from the front end and a cheap and relatively easy fix.
The Following User Says Thank You to v40alex For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2014, 12:59   #7
chongwong
Incoherent New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by v40alex View Post
No, you will need shock compressors and if the spring needs replacing, to disassemble the shock - dangerous if you are not confident to do the job so do some reading . It's easy to get the shocks out, it may be preferable to then take them to a garage to be fixed which shouldn't cost much. Also a ramp won't help as the wheels need to be off the ground, you need a jack and stands or a 4 post lift. Could be a broken spring, if so, they need to be replaced on both sides.

Do you know what brand of drop links are fitted and when were they last changed? These are normally the source of clanking from the front end and a cheap and relatively easy fix.
My bad, i'd meant lift also, i should probably read through the history to see if there's any relevant receipts. I cana borrow spring compressors from a friend if need be, however the spring itself looks fine, and the damper looks ok (to my rather blind eyes)
Old Aug 26th, 2014, 13:08   #8
v40alex
I do like a V40

That rubbery bit goes around the top of the spring. Is there spring where the rubbery bit once went or does the metal stop where the rubbery bit is still in position? A way to check for broken spring is the ride height - measure both sides from tyre to wheel arch.
Old Aug 26th, 2014, 13:10   #9
chongwong
Incoherent New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by v40alex View Post
That rubbery bit goes around the top of the spring. Is there spring where the rubbery bit once went or does the metal stop where the rubbery bit is still in position? A way to check for broken spring is the ride height - measure both sides from tyre to wheel arch.
There is spring where the rubbery bit once went, and the ride height is spot on :S THIS IS CONFUSING!
Old Aug 26th, 2014, 13:12   #10
v40alex
I do like a V40

If the spring isn't broken, you need to work out why that rubbery bit fell out. It should be under compression and not really have a chance to move. Look in the receipts for non-Volvo spring replacement, pattern parts are notoriously weak.