Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 auto box?

Views : 1834

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 25th, 2016, 13:12   #1
Mrjon
Master Member

Default XC60 auto box?

Hi,
Last time I tested an automatic XC60,way back in 2011 I remember the gear change was non too smooth so I ended up buying a manual.
I'm thinking of returning to the Volvo camp from Jaguar to either a V90 or more likely a run out model XC60 as I loved my last one.
I was just wondering how owners with new automatic XC60s find their auto box, has it been improved over the years since I left?
Cheers
Old Oct 25th, 2016, 13:27   #2
bobby2000
VOC Member

My first Volvo and I find the auto box to be smooth unless you floor it but even then I wouldn't describe it as jerky.
I can only compare it to the auto box of my Peugeot 407 coupe which is again very smooth, the same engine and gearbox as used in some Jags.
Old Oct 25th, 2016, 13:49   #3
Spitfire4
Master Member

I have an auto box and am delighted with it, maybe not quite as smooth as BMWs but not far off, can feel the odd change sometimes, mainly when slowing, but have decided that I would rather have a fwd d4 rather than awd as I prefer the 8 speed box, next time if funds allow!
Old Oct 25th, 2016, 13:51   #4
BEJ

I cannot fault the auto box on my car. Best auto I have ever driven.
Old Oct 25th, 2016, 17:17   #5
iain cooper

I always swore I would never buy an automatic as I like to be in full control.

but after a bit of research decided to give it a go, and must say the 8 speed auto box suits the car well.

I still enjoy my manual box in my MX5, but love the auto in my XC60 and would never go back to a manual in this type of vehicle.

It's a pleasure to drive and so comfortable and relaxing.

Iain
Old Oct 25th, 2016, 23:38   #6
molsal

Geartronic 8 speed is as good as I have driven, the old clique " I don't feel in control when driving an automatic" is dated to say the least. If a driver can't fully control a modern automatic then he should possibly have a few remedial lessons.
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 11:20   #7
iain cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsal View Post
Geartronic 8 speed is as good as I have driven, the old clique " I don't feel in control when driving an automatic" is dated to say the least. If a driver can't fully control a modern automatic then he should possibly have a few remedial lessons.
must disagree, you are not in control when driving an automatic.

It choses which gear is best, not you.

Iain
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 12:44   #8
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain cooper View Post

Iain
Well, you do have paddles (or gear lever!) if you wish to take more control !

I originally tested an older D5 unit when I was first looking early in late 2013, early 2014.
The seats were lovely, I enjoyed the high position, but the gearbox felt rather....agricultural.

The FWD of course came with the new 8-speed auto, and I rather took a punt on it "unseen" with my order of Stormy: I felt that the tech in the industry was such that it *ought* to be good, it claims VERY close MPG to the manual (albeit as optimistic as those factory figures always are!), low emissions, plus it got some good early industry reviews.

Result?

Well, I have now enjoyed 37K miles in it, and the 8-speed is the cheese to the older auto's chalk - IMHO it is super smooth, generally do not feel ANY of the changes, rapid enough (for a big motor!) when you want (at cost of fuel of course!). I get around 38-40mpg in general, although if I could drive at slightly more sedate speeds I feel I could achieved 45....
but overall I think it is a superb combination.

Try one and see! A well-spec'd run-out XC60 with this combi should be a terrific deal right now. Aim for 20%+ off list.
Oh yes - get it with DSP if you can, it is most excellent!

If, however, you are requiring an AWD unit, then you will be 'stuck' with the older gearbox, and in my mind, my first experience on the test drive would make me think twice about that!

If you are ever in Leicester (LE3), drop me a message, happy to take you for a short spin. TMS is a great dealer to use: not sure which ones may be closer to you (or if you are looking privately, in which case keep an eye on the boards here, always someone with one to move on!)
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 16:01   #9
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain cooper View Post

Iain
It's an entirely different way of driving, which you get used to. In some ways in difficult situations you have more control as you dont need to take your hands off the wheel.

And as all Volvo autos have geartronic and have had for some time, you can select whatever gear you want and in doing so (depending on the box and software) you have engine braking etc.

Most people who tow (even heavy stuff) prefer the auto.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 19:35   #10
Mrjon
Master Member

Thanks for the replies.
I'm looking at getting another AWD as I live in the hills and the last one I had cut through the snow we get in these parts like it wasn't even there, where as my current XKR tends to go sideways in light drizzle if you are not careful !
So, it looks like I'll be limited to the older 6 speed box, I'd best have a test drive first before I making a decision then.
I'm just a little disappointed there is no longer the option of 4C on the XC60, better have a test ride of a sports chassis R design while I'm at it then.
I've had a test of the Jag F-pace and it's nice, but not really any better than I remember my XC60 being, and it costs quite a lot extra.
I've said it before on these forums, the quality of volvo is easily on a par with jaguars products, and comparing Jag's latest build XE,XF,F-pace to volvo's latest XC90,V90 I genuinely think vovlo now have the upper hand.