Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

help removing a mbc.

Views : 3812

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 13th, 2009, 16:35   #1
dazzer
v70rdaz

Default help removing a mbc.

can anyone supply a diagram or something of how to take out a mbc as i have not noticed any difference at all and it has brought on my engine check light,i had the codes read and its to do with the tbc (turbo boost control)im hoping that when its taken out i can then have the codes wiped and it will stay gone unlike before,obviously its gonna be easy to take it out but because i didnt put it in i dont know where the pipes go back and theres no colours on the pipes cos they were cut off putting it in,it boosts to 1.1 bar with everything else standard but as i stated i have noticed no difference and would like the dashboard dark again.i am not the most mechanically minded so please try to explain in simpleton terms lol,unless anyone lives near the staines area that could do it for me,i have the piping and clips,i would go to a garage but i dont trust them to work on the turbo if they dont know where the pipes go and a volvo garage will want at least 2 hours to do it costing me a small fortune.

the beast,dont mess with it, its a 240bhp kiddie carrier.
dazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 19:13   #2
dazzer
v70rdaz

can anyone give me a price guide on an ecu remap,i think i would like to go this way once the mbc has been removed?.ive got a 98 v70 r awd auto.

Old Apr 13th, 2009, 21:31   #3
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzer View Post
can anyone supply a diagram or something of how to take out a mbc as i have not noticed any difference at all and it has brought on my engine check light,i had the codes read and its to do with the tbc (turbo boost control)im hoping that when its taken out i can then have the codes wiped and it will stay gone unlike before,obviously its gonna be easy to take it out but because i didnt put it in i dont know where the pipes go back and theres no colours on the pipes cos they were cut off putting it in,it boosts to 1.1 bar with everything else standard but as i stated i have noticed no difference and would like the dashboard dark again.i am not the most mechanically minded so please try to explain in simpleton terms lol,unless anyone lives near the staines area that could do it for me,i have the piping and clips,i would go to a garage but i dont trust them to work on the turbo if they dont know where the pipes go and a volvo garage will want at least 2 hours to do it costing me a small fortune.

If there is no noticable difference the MBC has not been set up correctly...
The lambda light it telling you the BCS is not connected....
Cheers
Jod
The Following User Says Thank You to Jod T5 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 20:27   #4
Suterman
240 Turbo

I thought these new fangled FWD machines were electronically controlled boostwise therefore an MBC would not be an option?
1985 Bedford CF2 B230E
Suterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 11:09   #5
Ross9
Master Member

they are, but they are electronically controlled via a boost control solenoid, the reason as Jod says that the light is on is because whoever has fitted the MBC for the guy has removed it by the sounds of it, rather than just disconnecting the pipes running to and from it and leaving it plugged in.

As for the fact there's no difference, again this means somethings not been done right, as faras I am aware 1.1 bar is a fair bit higher than a T5 will run, it's 0.2 bar higher than a T4 runs as standard and I'm 99% certain they always had a wee bit more boost pressure off the production line. Perhaps because there's a fault being detected to do with the boost solenoid etc, the ECU is retarding the timing etc as a precaution, so in fact plugging the solenoid back in may cure both issues.

My only concern was, if it is as I suspect and the solenoid has been disconnected from both the vacuum pipes and the plug, where is it?

Ross
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 21:34   #6
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross9 View Post

My only concern was, if it is as I suspect and the solenoid has been disconnected from both the vacuum pipes and the plug, where is it?
A good question Ross..A 850 BCS should be screwed to the airbox, tho most people hang them loose, especially if they have been fiddled with...With no vacuum conection OR electrical connection it may be missing or hanging from the air inlet pipe connection...?..

Cheers
Jod
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 19:58   #7
dazzer
v70rdaz

i have found the plug and put it back in,the yellow pipe is going to the side of the mbc and the one from the air filter pipe has been removed,the last pipe is going to the sde of the mbc,it looks like a sideways T with the screwy adjustable nob on top.

Old Apr 19th, 2009, 18:46   #8
Ross9
Master Member

what results have plugging it back in had?

Ross
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 12:35   #9
bigV

I assume your car doesn't have ETM but an old fashioned throttle cable?.... ETM would make a MBC completely pointless.......

Again, if an MBC has made no difference then either the MBC isn't set up properly, there is another fault with the car stopping it reaching full performance OR possibly it has been chipped / remapped without your knowledge by a previous owner, and so the performance gain over a remap would be minimal.

Also, you should keep the BCS plugged in even when running an MBC, to avoid getting the warning lights on the dash board. (that is what I was told anyway), plugging the BCS back in and unplugging the battery for 24hrs may reset the light.

Last edited by bigV; Apr 20th, 2009 at 12:39.
bigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 16:58   #10
dazzer
v70rdaz

it feels a little smoother but still no noticable gain, perhaps i have just got used to the power and not noticed it,i think ill just get the lights turned off properly.i will try and post some piccies of the way it has been installed.as you can see, the yellow pipe from the top of the turbo goes to the side of the mbc,the pipe that goes to the bottom of the mbc comes from the bottom of the turbo and the one that came from the air filter has been taken out,if it had been installed incorrectly how come its measuring more boost on the gauge?.its an R-spec one(the mbc).i think ill wait until the next meet at the crooked billet and get someone to check it for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0296.JPG (25.2 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by dazzer; Apr 24th, 2009 at 17:10.