Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spare wheel winch problem

Views : 1573

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 13th, 2015, 17:03   #1
hodgsoja

Default Spare wheel winch problem

Hi

Had a puncture on my MY2009 XC90 so had to use the space saver spare wheel. All fine to that point, but when it came to putting the spare back in situ, the winch would only lower the wire a few inches before stopping dead. I've read there is a design flaw with the coiling of the wire when not under load (I.e when you're actually using the spare...) which means it gets tangled (obviously I only read this after the event). Any advice as to how I can untangle it/remove it & take it apart/replace it? Really hoping to not spend much cash on something that gets used once in a blue moon

Thanks
Jake
hodgsoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2015, 17:18   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgsoja View Post
Hi

Had a puncture on my MY2009 XC90 so had to use the space saver spare wheel. All fine to that point, but when it came to putting the spare back in situ, the winch would only lower the wire a few inches before stopping dead. I've read there is a design flaw with the coiling of the wire when not under load (I.e when you're actually using the spare...) which means it gets tangled (obviously I only read this after the event). Any advice as to how I can untangle it/remove it & take it apart/replace it? Really hoping to not spend much cash on something that gets used once in a blue moon

Thanks
Jake
you should have had a free recall on this see your dealer ..
Old Oct 24th, 2015, 20:04   #3
hodgsoja

Well the good news is that swinging on the wire like an ape while my assistant unwound it did the trick for me - I highly recommend giving that a go should anyone else encounter this.

I will get the dealer to fix it next time I'm in for a service though - thanks for the info.
Old Oct 24th, 2015, 20:26   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgsoja View Post
Well the good news is that swinging on the wire like an ape while my assistant unwound it did the trick for me - I highly recommend giving that a go should anyone else encounter this.

I will get the dealer to fix it next time I'm in for a service though - thanks for the info.
I would take it in as soon as you can in case the free service fix runs out . have you enquired about it yet ? If the cable is already tangled you may get a new winch rather than a cable guide modification .
Old Oct 24th, 2015, 20:51   #5
hodgsoja

I did enquire and got nothing but surprise and bewilderment from the other end. Part of my problem is that I've only owned the car 18 months and had it into the dealer once (for the hideous 108k service). I had that done at snows as they were a fair bit cheaper (albeit further away) than my more local ones (squire furneaux) but means I don't really have a 'relationship' with a dealer. I'll have another go now I've fixed the imminent problem