Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 13 Pin Socket and Loom

Views : 3146

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 27th, 2011, 18:45   #1
DMACKUK

Default V50 13 Pin Socket and Loom

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction here.

I have a V50 fitted with with Volvo towbar and trailer module and 7 pin socket but my new caravan has a 13 pin socket so I need to change the car electrics to suit.

Does any one know if a non Volvo 13 pin socket will fit the tow bar plate and if it is a simple job to rewire the connector into the trailer module?

Alternatively, where I might buy a Volvo 13 pin socket and loom for less than a kings ransom?

Many thanks
DMACKUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 18:57   #2
kevinbis
VOC Member

Take a look on EBay and get an adaptor. !3 pin to 7 pin.
Any trailer shop should have them but probably cost a bit more.

I bought this one and it done the job a treat.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=170612853084

Last edited by kevinbis; May 27th, 2011 at 19:15.
kevinbis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kevinbis For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2011, 19:14   #3
DMACKUK

Thanks for the advice regarding adaptors but I have read about problems with excess length etc, so I am looking to keep everything nice and tidy. Not sure how much an adapter will cost but if I can change the socket and wiring on the car for under £30 I will be happy enough.

Having now looked at your link, I see that the adapter will allow direct connection of my 7 pin car socket into the 13 pin on the caravan. Will this allow full operation of ancillaries, reverse lights etc?

Last edited by DMACKUK; May 27th, 2011 at 19:38.
Old May 27th, 2011, 20:39   #4
Drivelupo

Hi Dmack, the best thing to do is pick up a 13 pin socket from your local caravan shop they normally retail for around £10.00. I did this job myself at the start of the season after the adapter came loose and burnt through the cable on our last trip. All of the pin numbers and colours are the same on both 7 and 13 pin sockets and they are quite easy to fit. You didn't say if you had an extra 7 pin socket for the fridge etc. Normally the reverse runs through this socket, if you have one disconnect and wire up to the 13 pin socket in the same way.

I've got a diagram somewhere i'll dig it out and try and post it.
Drivelupo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drivelupo For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2011, 11:58   #5
Drivelupo

Default 7 pin to 13 Pin wiring

Hi Dmack I got these from the Towbex website and apart from having their logo on are exactly the same ones I use in printed format. I've included the 7 pin both the normal (for road lights etc) and the supplimental (for fridge / reverse). The coulours may vary slightly depending on the cable used, so I always go by the numbers. The sockets are well marked.

Hope they help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 12 Normal Wiring Diagram.pdf (97.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: pdf 12 Supplimental Wiring Diagram.pdf (62.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: pdf 13 pin wiring diagram.pdf (137.8 KB, 16 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Drivelupo For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2011, 13:08   #6
DMACKUK

DRIVELUPO,

Many thanks for posting the wiring diagrams, still not sure whether to rewire myself or bite the bullet and purchase a Volvo loom which will be much easier to fit by simply removing the bumper - but a lot more costly.
Old May 28th, 2011, 14:34   #7
Drivelupo

Default Swapping the socket

Hi Dmack, the wiring to the exsisting socket is exactly the same as the wiring required for the 13 pin socket, there is no need to buy a loom as you put it. All you need to do is dismantle the 7 pin socket 3 screws under the main cover held by 8 mm nuts at the rear of the plate. The socket comes apart and you can then unscrew the individual wiring connectors.

Once the 7 pin socket has been removed thread the wires through the 13 pin housing and gromet and connect all of the wires 1 - 7 into the 13 pin housing the insert into the main body before screwing the lot onto the exsiting back plate using the original crews ant nuts. Finally test each pin using a test lamp.

If you have two 7 pin plugs thread both cables through the gromet and connect as per the diagram. The main vehicle wiring is the black cable and the supplimental is the grey cable, note that not all the pins are used no. 12 is spare, and don't connect any two pins together pins 3, 11 & 13 are all earths.
Old May 28th, 2011, 15:03   #8
Drivelupo

Default 13 Pin Wiring

Dmack found this additional diagram.

might help
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Haynes manual Wiring diagram.pdf (245.7 KB, 11 views)
Old May 28th, 2011, 19:14   #9
DMACKUK

DriveLupo,

Thanks again for this, it clarifies the situation where I am converting 7 pin to 13 pin on the caravan side - BUT my problem is on the car side which only has a single 7 pin plug.

I have studied the wiring diagram for the tow bar module fitted to the car and it appears on paper as though I can utilise the outputs to the 7 pin plug and bridge where necessary, to provide suitable feeds to all the pins on a 13 pin plug.

My concern, having opened up the trailer module and seen that all the socket pins feed internally onto a PCB is that some of the module 13 pin feeds are switched or have a relay in their circuit and by just bridging the 7 pin feed out, I may bypass a protection relay.

It appears that unless a guru on here can allay my fears in this regard, I will probably have to contact Simon at FRF and order a new cable.

Can't thank you enough for your help though. From reading other posts on this forum, it seems members are all keen to help one another which can only be a good thing if it helps fellow members to save money in these tight times.
Old May 29th, 2011, 19:24   #10
Drivelupo

Dmack the wiring on your car is exactly the same no matter wich socket is fitted. The sockets are only the termination point for the caravan plug to go into. When you fit a 13 pin plug you utilise the same cable that had 7 wires from the original socket, in fact the pin numbers are exactly the same. The other cable will have either 5 or 6 wires inside which are then wired into the 13 pin socket. This way instead of having two 7 pin sockets on your car, you will have one 13 pin socket.

Dismantle the 7 pin socket and not the cable module.

can you post the wiring diagram and i can have a look for you.

Last edited by Drivelupo; May 29th, 2011 at 19:37. Reason: Spelling mistake and request more info