Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine problem-pistons pitted & fractured!!!

Views : 1422

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 29th, 2010, 12:52   #1
triumph1

Default Engine problem-pistons pitted & fractured!!!

I own a XC90 D5 AWD SE 04 with 110000 miles on the clock, at 100,000miles had cam belt replaced-about 6 months ago, 10,000m later car, went to limp mode - had Turbo replaced, it continued blowing blue/white smoke and going into limp mode, but no real loss of power, thought valve seals may need checking, took head off to find that the first piston top had broken away & this caused fragments to go into turbo which was why turbo failed, barrel scored, (head ok), requiring rebore with new pistons advised & oversize rings, pistons heads3/4 badly pitted, car never overheated. Pitting usually found in petrol cars as I've been told they run at a higher temp. Was there a fault in the manufacturing of these pistons? All services carried out by Volvo, until the last at 100,000, a local garage replacing timing belt & w/pump at this time. There does seem a lack of durability of this engine, as I assumed that diesel engines should be good for at least 150,000-200,000 without much overhaul. Has anyone else experienced anything like this with this mileage, I believe the D5 engine is used in other models like V70, have been told that the heads crack on these engines which need replacing but this cost is too much!!! Thanks for any comments.
triumph1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 08:15   #2
Bernard333
Premier Member

Is yours the 163hp euro 3 engine ? Have not heard of a problem with cracking cylinder heads on these , I have been reading nearly all the diesel posts for the past couple of years and cannot recall anyone posting a similar problem . I also watch the prices on V70 D5s of 2001 - 2003 on ebay and the majority of them have 150 to 200k miles on them . My D5 engine 163bhp 2003 has done 144k miles and I think the top end of the engine is getting noisier which could be due to cam shaft wear but apart from that the engine seems ok and was hoping to get 200k out of mine before changing the car . What state are your camshafts in ?
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 20:31   #3
triumph1

Yes it is the 163hp - D5244T. Have not decided to go that far, but think the garage said everything else was OK, but who knows. I have managed to find a brand new engine block, with head fitted for 1100stg, no exchange and delivery it came to 1500stg, as I live in Ireland it would have cost much more to recon the engine, so will go with that. I can't be the only one as there were 2 others chasing the same engine, don't know what problems they had though, but they thought it was too expensive, second hand engines were being quoted anywhere from 1000stg with very little guarantees, and reconditioned at 1300stg plus with 3months or 12000m, so to replace with new for that price is a much better option. Rgds.
triumph1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 22:25   #4
definethelight

Hi Triumph1, I have just had a main dealer engine replacement on my 55 plate S60 D5 (185). I had a displaced rocker that gradually chewed it's way into the casing of the injector. Took a few agonising weeks to establish the cause of the original symptoms (intermittent smoking). Sniff under 7k for an 'Exchange engine' didn't come with much though - just the block. No injectors/turbo or even flywheel! Feel a little swindled by Volvo main dealer. No explanation offered as to what caused the displaced rocker. The engine had done 148,000 miles. Best of luck with yours.
definethelight is offline   Reply With Quote