Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 T5 Estate for sale

Views : 2946

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 16:59   #1
Audrey Old
VOC Member

Default V70 T5 Estate for sale

Immaculate R-reg Volvo V70 T5 estate for sale. Recently SORN'd due to swapping of engine but regrettably now run out of space/time to finish.
Car is dark blue with manual gearbox and dark grey leather interior, unscuffed Alloy wheels, but 3 tyres are fairly worn. Engine in car is not yet fully rigged with ancilliaries (eg new alternator) but original engine (condition unknown) is included. One small scuff on one bumper but otherwise unblemished.
Car is near Redhill on trailer - can deliver locally if interested. Will take some pics when a camera can be borrowed, so send PM if interested. Looking for offers around £500
Audrey Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 15:03   #2
mrdave2003
Premier Member

out of curiosity why is the engine being changed? Not a bad price though.
mrdave2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 19:07   #3
Audrey Old
VOC Member

Default T5 for sale

Back here again now, so a bit more info. However, this is a NI relatives car so I only write what I'm told.
Apparently the original engine had a cambelt failure which damaged it somewhat. The relatives friend changed the engine (condition and origin unknown) but for one reason or another didn't complete the work, and the car has now had to be removed from the garage. Lots of its ancilliaries are in the back, including a new alternator and the original engine - he has the V5.
Some pics of it are now available from us on audakt@tesco.net but the seller is on 07908 198301 if you'd like to see it one evening. Regret can't add to this list as only have a weak dial-up computer, so advise your email address and will send direct.
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 20:19   #4
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Hi, I'm looking for a T5, and I'm about 8 miles from Redhill, so I'm interested.... possibly. Main thing I'd like to know is exactly what work is required to finish the car and get it running?

I've sent an e-mail also as I'd like some pictures too if that's OK.

Cheers!
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 21:57   #5
Audrey Old
VOC Member

Default T5 for sale

A brief but ominous update - have just been told the seller is planning a late (or early?) holiday in February, and wants the car moved before they go away. Therefore if anybody wants it at scrap value they can take it away. No funny offers though - he took a friends abandoned project Sierra, which had been blocking the garage for a decade, for scrap a couple of weeks back and got £180 for it.

Therefore although he knows the value of scrap it does seem a shame such a nice-looking modern car doesn't attract the same interest a thirty-forty years old Volvo gets. I had to pay large for a rough one just to get bits for our Amazon. You try getting an engineless 40-year old in such good condition for so little - this country has gone crazy. Perhaps its the younger generation not getting kicks out of doing a job oneself. If I was 25 years younger it wouldn't have been advertised - I would be straight round HEC, get a recon engine and whack it in myself.

Paul
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 17:05   #6
Audrey Old
VOC Member

Default T5 no longer for sale

I thought the Volvo Forums were where true enthusiasts gathered, both to help each other and to pass on decent items for nominal value. However, I appear to be wrong - the buying/selling side is merely ebay under a different name. I go to some length to act as the middle man to find a magnificent T5 a new home, send pictures to people saying they are interested and get transport costs, repeatedly quiz the seller with ebay-like abysmal offers, yet still nothing, not even if it would be broken for spares.
I have just been advised that this superb basis for a heart-transplant has now met its maker, so to all of you supposedly-interested-but-really-just-bargainhunters, it is now at the metal-mincers. I took my spare battery to it yesterday to test all the electrics out - everything worked, but nobody even asked if the seller was prepared to break it. Therefore perfect light lenses, seats, doors, alloy wheels etc etc have now been wasted.
I must therefore conclude that all members interested in newish Volvo's are wealthy and don't deserve being offered a mint car for b**ger all. I have learned from all this - NEVER put yourself out for Forums members under the false impression you would be helping enthusiasts out.
The seller said earlier anybody could have it for scrap value - he got about £300 for it, with two engines and all those new boxed spares. And now you lot loose out on everything. The seller does the occasional car-scrap as he has a trailer, and says he has another fairly new Volvo to move, but you lot will not be hearing about it.
Enthusiasts with traditional Volvo's wouldn't act like this, so I'll stick with helping them out from now on and never mention anything else in this category again.

Paul
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 18:09   #7
RUTV70
RUTRUNNER

Undeserved and unjustified view IMO...you can't MAKE people buy, or be interested in, something they don't want...just because YOU think it's a bargain.
I dislike being tarred with such a broad brush and being referred to as "you lot"
We are generally NOT wealthy individuals as you suggest and have to make our hard earned money go as far as possible.
Shame on you.

Neil

Previous Volvos...264 auto...loved it.
340 manual...not so loved.
760 auto...loved it.
RUTV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RUTV70 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 19:15   #8
Meko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey Old View Post
I thought the Volvo Forums were where true enthusiasts gathered, both to help each other and to pass on decent items for nominal value. However, I appear to be wrong - the buying/selling side is merely ebay under a different name. I go to some length to act as the middle man to find a magnificent T5 a new home, send pictures to people saying they are interested and get transport costs, repeatedly quiz the seller with ebay-like abysmal offers, yet still nothing, not even if it would be broken for spares.
I have just been advised that this superb basis for a heart-transplant has now met its maker, so to all of you supposedly-interested-but-really-just-bargainhunters, it is now at the metal-mincers. I took my spare battery to it yesterday to test all the electrics out - everything worked, but nobody even asked if the seller was prepared to break it. Therefore perfect light lenses, seats, doors, alloy wheels etc etc have now been wasted.
I must therefore conclude that all members interested in newish Volvo's are wealthy and don't deserve being offered a mint car for b**ger all. I have learned from all this - NEVER put yourself out for Forums members under the false impression you would be helping enthusiasts out.
The seller said earlier anybody could have it for scrap value - he got about £300 for it, with two engines and all those new boxed spares. And now you lot loose out on everything. The seller does the occasional car-scrap as he has a trailer, and says he has another fairly new Volvo to move, but you lot will not be hearing about it.
Enthusiasts with traditional Volvo's wouldn't act like this, so I'll stick with helping them out from now on and never mention anything else in this category again.

Paul
so you're complaining that nobody bought the car?
Meko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 19:29   #9
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey Old View Post

Paul
first things first, you were asked questions about the car and for photos, NO RESPONSE. So how are we supposed to make any kind of judgement on the condition of the car with NO information OR photos to go on?

You didnt put ANY service history about the vehicle, so im affraid if anyone is in the wrong here it was you not us.

I for one would have been interested but as the basics were not even included why should i bother when you cant be bothered?

Try harder if there is a next time and quite complaining because u did something wrong no one else.
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 22:35   #10
Audrey Old
VOC Member

Deathrider - you obviously didn't read all I said before, so for your benefit I'll repeat it: I didn't own the car, I never even opened the doors, I DID say I had photos but you obviously didn't read that. I opened the bonnet and saw an engine fitted but lacking parts, some of which looked new, like the alternator which was protruding from a box in the back. I fitted my battery and the owner checked all systems, and all I can vouch for was the immaculate condition of the interior.
It doesn't concern me a jot whether anybody wanted to buy it or not - I was merely listing it as the car was so clean, and I consider myself a true car enthusiast, not just a buyer of the newest car I can afford. Again as I said before, I wouldn't have chosen to buy this car, as now I'm retired with sick family members I couldn't afford the time and money to fix this car whichever way might have been best for it.
I have bought, run and subsequently sold several Amazons over the years: when I saw the adverts I asked questions, responded to answers and in most cases offered the asking price. I then collected promptly, ran them then - often on Forums - found buyers for them: ask johnjp and jakobandhismakarov on here. A project I now have was also going to be scrapped and I was asked to commit myself one way or the other. I did, and solely based on what I was told hired a trailer and drove over 100 miles to collect it.
I did that for my current day-car Volvo 240 too - I call it honoring my enquiries and word. However, perhaps such honour isn't so prevalent nowadays. I mean, Deathrider, did YOU ring the seller for more info - I posted his number? As you live so far north of course I understand why you didn't, but why so critical of me - the messenger? Still, it won't happen again: Forums-users lesson learned.

Paul