Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Antifreeze and PAS fluid colour - D5 163bhp

Views : 1959

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 21st, 2010, 21:39   #1
macs

Default Antifreeze and PAS fluid colour - D5 163bhp

Hello,
Can you tell me what colour should antifreeze and steering fluid be on S60 D5 54reg.?
I bought the car recently and not too sure if these fluids are the proper ones, based on some posts I have read here.
At the moment I've got pale green antifreeze and the PAS fluid is sort of dark yellow/ amber colour (should be green?)
The steering gets heavy when engine warms up, there's no noise at full lock, I thought it could be down to wrong fluid in there?

Cheers,

Maciej
macs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 16:56   #2
kdst5

I believe both should be green. I suspect that PAS fluid is past its best hense the colour. If I remember correctly you need between 1 and 2lt to replace the PAS fluid.
kdst5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 18:14   #3
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Original antifreeze was green, this is replaced by blue now.

The PAS fluid should be green.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris_Rogers For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 22:06   #4
macs

Thank you gents!
I will replace the PAS fluid then.
Is it sensible to replace the antifreeze either? In the expansion tank I noticed some flakes, lime scale probably.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 22:47   #5
v_matt_v
Volvo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rogers View Post
Original antifreeze was green, this is replaced by blue now.

The PAS fluid should be green.
Chris,

What is the part number of the blue antifreeze? I've been to dealer recently and I got a green one.
v_matt_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 08:47   #6
macs

Matt,
I've read your PM, thanks! I can't answer as I haven't made 30 posts yet. Would have a few more questions though...
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 11:46   #7
Jim314
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macs View Post
Thank you gents!
I will replace the PAS fluid then.
Is it sensible to replace the antifreeze either? In the expansion tank I noticed some flakes, lime scale probably.
It is definitely sensible to change the engine coolant (antifreeze). The susbsance responsible for the antifreezing propoerty (ethylene glycol) does not decompose, but the anti-corrosive chemicals do. The new longer life coolants will last over 5 years or 150,000 miles, but they do not last indefinitely.

This would be a drain (and maybe with a rinse) and refill, but not some sort of pressure flush which could damage seals and gaskets. The dealer might term this process a 'flush' because this sounds good to the customer. Years ago in the US pressure 'backflushes' got to be the rage. These got the cooling system clean, but too often blew out gaskets and seals.

There are several different anti-corrosive chemical sets available and different ones are used by different auto mfgrs. The different types are not compatible.See http://www.valvoline.com/products/br...ex/antifreeze/.

I think Volvo uses Zerex G-05. See this pdf http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/Zerex_CoolantChart.pdf. According to the text on G-05 this is for Volvos. The retail color of G-05 (in the US anyway) is gold, but the auto manufacturers must buy it in bulk and specify their own dye color. The result is that one cannot go simply by color.

It is safer to buy the Volvo product, but it will be more costly than buying Zerex G-05 in retail containers.

I just had my local dealer change the coolant in my 2004 V70 at 45,000 miles and 6.5 years. I used to do this sort of service myself, but have gotten lazy in my dotage. The ethylene glycol in anti-freeze is highly toxic to birds and mammals, I figure the dealer is doing proper disposal of the waste. I would do proper disposal too, but the whole thing is a lot of trouble.

Last edited by Jim314; Jun 23rd, 2010 at 12:02.
Jim314 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim314 For This Useful Post: