Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diagonal length of 940 wagon boot

Views : 755

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 3rd, 2022, 21:41   #1
SalvadorP
Master Member

Default Diagonal length of 940 wagon boot

Does anyone know the diagonal length of the boot from the trunk door at the bottom to the roof just above the front seats?

My lady wants one of those sofas that convert into bed. The frame is 2m. I know the horizontal length of the boot is 1,80m. I'm wondering if it would feet diagonally.
Has anyone fit anything with 2m this way?
I'm thinking if i put something on the backseat before folding it, so it doesn't fold completely and makes a nice support for the frame to seat on the diagonal position?!?! But not sure if it would fit lengthwise.

Last edited by SalvadorP; Mar 3rd, 2022 at 21:48.
SalvadorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2022, 23:33   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvadorP View Post
Does anyone know the diagonal length of the boot from the trunk door at the bottom to the roof just above the front seats?

My lady wants one of those sofas that convert into bed. The frame is 2m. I know the horizontal length of the boot is 1,80m. I'm wondering if it would feet diagonally.
Has anyone fit anything with 2m this way?
I'm thinking if i put something on the backseat before folding it, so it doesn't fold completely and makes a nice support for the frame to seat on the diagonal position?!?! But not sure if it would fit lengthwise.

Talk her into a shorter one, problem solved!

If it's any help, i recently had a 6' x 4' (1.8 x 1.2m) fence panel in the back of mine easily.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 4th, 2022, 00:05   #3
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Talk her into a shorter one, problem solved!

If it's any help, i recently had a 6' x 4' (1.8 x 1.2m) fence panel in the back of mine easily.
It's an Ikea unit. They only have that size.

I know 1,8 is alright. I'm gonna try to measure diagonal length tomorrow. Need to buy a new measuring tape, forgot mine in Portugal.

Now that I think of it. It's simple mathematics. With height i could easily find the diagonal length.
Old Mar 4th, 2022, 00:10   #4
SalvadorP
Master Member

If height is 76cm and length 180, the diagonal should be 195cm. I think it might fit, even if it goes 5cm over my head. Perks of being 160cm tall.
Old Mar 4th, 2022, 01:00   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
If height is 76cm and length 180, the diagonal should be 195cm. I think it might fit, even if it goes 5cm over my head. Perks of being 160cm tall.
I was waiting for Pythagoras to come along!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Mar 4th, 2022, 08:18   #6
Forrest
VOC Member

You can get longer loads in by lifting them over the ledge formed by the folded down rear seat. Either put one/both front seats a bit forward or, if the load is narrow enough, the front passenger seat all the way forward with the back fully forward or fully back - whatever works best for the particular load.

Doing this I have carried 2.5m lengths of sheet flooring and 3m lengths of timber and piping with the tailgate properly closed.

Another way is to have the load hanging out the back and tie down the tailgate. If you do this it’s best to have the front windows open to reduce the build up of exhaust fumes in the car.

Or use a roof rack and tie it on the roof.

AlternativeLy, have the shop deliver it!
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 4th, 2022, 09:11   #7
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
You can get longer loads in by lifting them over the ledge formed by the folded down rear seat. Either put one/both front seats a bit forward or, if the load is narrow enough, the front passenger seat all the way forward with the back fully forward or fully back - whatever works best for the particular load.

Doing this I have carried 2.5m lengths of sheet flooring and 3m lengths of timber and piping with the tailgate properly closed.

Another way is to have the load hanging out the back and tie down the tailgate. If you do this it’s best to have the front windows open to reduce the build up of exhaust fumes in the car.

Or use a roof rack and tie it on the roof.

AlternativeLy, have the shop deliver it!
I have carried something about 220cm that way. Thing is it is not narrow enough. The only way here is to put it diagonally.
I don't feel confortable driving around with the tailgate open. And i don't have a roof rack, only roof bars. I could tie it to the bars, but don't know the local legislation on such method of transportation and don't wanna find out the hard way.

I could have someone deliver it, yes, but then i couldn't brag about fitting a 2m sofa inside my Volvo 940!!!
Old Mar 4th, 2022, 09:35   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I have carried something about 220cm that way. Thing is it is not narrow enough. The only way here is to put it diagonally.
I don't feel confortable driving around with the tailgate open. And i don't have a roof rack, only roof bars. I could tie it to the bars, but don't know the local legislation on such method of transportation and don't wanna find out the hard way.

I could have someone deliver it, yes, but then i couldn't brag about fitting a 2m sofa inside my Volvo 940!!!
Find a slightly smaller, more comfortable sofa from somewhere else that delivers FOC and if they don't, you have a good chance of fitting it in without compromising safety.

Many moons ago i fitted 2x 3m worktops inside a Honda Accord Coupe but if i'd hit the wrong bump on the way home, i would have lost my windscreen! Luckily didn't have far to go and it was on slow roads so i was halfway safe due to that but i wouldn't recommend fitting something too big for the car inside just because it fits - if it won't do it safely, get it delivered!

The other way you may be able to do it is to completely remove the back seats and fit the front end of your sofa down low behind the front seats with the back end up high at the tailgate end.

Old Mar 4th, 2022, 14:25   #9
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Find a slightly smaller, more comfortable sofa from somewhere else that delivers FOC and if they don't, you have a good chance of fitting it in without compromising safety.

Many moons ago i fitted 2x 3m worktops inside a Honda Accord Coupe but if i'd hit the wrong bump on the way home, i would have lost my windscreen! Luckily didn't have far to go and it was on slow roads so i was halfway safe due to that but i wouldn't recommend fitting something too big for the car inside just because it fits - if it won't do it safely, get it delivered!

The other way you may be able to do it is to completely remove the back seats and fit the front end of your sofa down low behind the front seats with the back end up high at the tailgate end.
That's another idea. But i think it's actually alright the way I'm thinking without compromising safety. Thing is we are buying second hand so it's always harder to arrange delivery. But i think it's alright.

If not I'll mount the roof bars and carry it on top.
Old Mar 4th, 2022, 15:01   #10
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
You can get longer loads in by lifting them over the ledge formed by the folded down rear seat.
On my 740, the rear seat bases lift out which allows a flat load floor with no 'step'.

Just flip the seat base up to the vertical, and then lift the whole thing upwards and it pops out. Reverse to clip it back in again
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post: