Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

wheelhub/bearing mystery.

Views : 261

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Yesterday, 12:16   #1
emtor

Default wheelhub/bearing mystery.

I need to replace the front hub/bearings on my Volvo V70, and I've been at the swedish Autodoc site.
By submitting the registration number I get a long list of parts suitable for this car. Most of the kits are equal to the image below.
The problem is that the hub needs to be pressed out/in with a hydraulic press. -Forget that.

Another bearing kit from Autodoc is this one, where the kit bolts on to the spindle housing with four bolts. No need for a press.
But, this variety is equal to the bearings for the rear wheels although the Autodoc site has it listed as front bearings.

Furthermore, the number of splines aren't the same for all the kits either.
Some have 40 splines, while the one which bolts on with four bolts has 36 splines.

I've been watching videos made by large workshops, and all of them shows the easy version that bolts on the spindle housing. One video however shows the version that needs a hydraulic press.

I'm confused.
emtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:52   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtor View Post
I need to replace the front hub/bearings on my Volvo V70, and I've been at the swedish Autodoc site.
By submitting the registration number I get a long list of parts suitable for this car. Most of the kits are equal to the image below.
The problem is that the hub needs to be pressed out/in with a hydraulic press. -Forget that.

Another bearing kit from Autodoc is this one, where the kit bolts on to the spindle housing with four bolts. No need for a press.
But, this variety is equal to the bearings for the rear wheels although the Autodoc site has it listed as front bearings.

Furthermore, the number of splines aren't the same for all the kits either.
Some have 40 splines, while the one which bolts on with four bolts has 36 splines.

I've been watching videos made by large workshops, and all of them shows the easy version that bolts on the spindle housing. One video however shows the version that needs a hydraulic press.

I'm confused.
It is not just a hydraulic press you need, Also the Volvo special tools to support the hub and press the bearing out and in.
Old Yesterday, 14:17   #3
Kev0607
Premier Member

Picture 1 is the front bearing. You need those if you're replacing the fronts.

Picture 2 is the rear bearings. No press is required for those, as those are bolted on.

The Autodoc site isn't correct. Picture 2 can't go on the front. Its not possible. So don't order those for the front because they won't work.

So for clarity, if you're replacing the front bearings, you need 2x number 1 picture, plus a way of getting the old bearing out and the new one in - A hydraulic press for fitting and a puller to get the old bearings out. If you haven't got those, it can't be done DIY.

The other option is remove the spindles both sides of the car on the front (so disconnect the track rod end, drop link, shock from the spindle, ball joint, brake caliper and brake disc each side), remove the spindles from the car, put them in the boot of another car or a friend's car (you won't be able to drive yours) and bring it to a local garage with your new bearings and ask them to replace the bearings for you. They should do, for a fee.

Then bring the spindles back and connect everything you removed back into place. Or, if you don't fancy doing that, bring the car to a garage and let them do the whole job.

Have a look at SKF bearings too. Meyle are a good brand, but SKF are better for bearings I think.

Last edited by Kev0607; Yesterday at 14:31.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 16:03   #4
emtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post

The Autodoc site isn't correct. Picture 2 can't go on the front. Its not possible.
I did watch a couple of videos from 1A Auto Parts in the US that replaces the front bearings on a V70, and those were the ones with four bolts like the rear bearings and also a video from Autodoc Norway having the same bearings.
I went to the local garage and they said that Volvos destined for the USA has the easy variety with the four bolts, and that older V70's has it too but after some point in time V70's came with the hubs in picture number 1.
I've been having a cold for some time now and I'm not feeling super well so I'll let the garage do the job.
Old Yesterday, 16:44   #5
Simmy
Premier Member

dont buy any cheapo no name bearings. or you will end up doing the job twice .skf or fag are good well known makes. many have made the cheap bearing mistake
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 18:36   #6
emtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
dont buy any cheapo no name bearings. or you will end up doing the job twice .skf or fag are good well known makes. many have made the cheap bearing mistake
SKF is king.
I'll tell the garage to get SKF or equivalent quality bearings.
Old Yesterday, 19:03   #7
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
I did these "GEN2" bearings on the front of my V50 a while ago. I fitted SKF from the local motor factor.
They also had the correct kit to remove and fit the bearing assembly to hire for a small fee.
Allows the old hubs to be removed and new replaced with the strut in situ on the car.

it was a kit similar to this

https://sykes-pickavant.com/products...zes-master-kit

Made the job nice and easy.

Last edited by IainG; Yesterday at 19:08.
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IainG For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 21:19   #8
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtor View Post
I did watch a couple of videos from 1A Auto Parts in the US that replaces the front bearings on a V70, and those were the ones with four bolts like the rear bearings and also a video from Autodoc Norway having the same bearings.
I went to the local garage and they said that Volvos destined for the USA has the easy variety with the four bolts, and that older V70's has it too but after some point in time V70's came with the hubs in picture number 1.
I've been having a cold for some time now and I'm not feeling super well so I'll let the garage do the job.
You've posted this thread in the P3 chassis section... the last generation of V70. What year is your car?

If its a facelift V70 (known as P3 platform/chassis), then you need the bearing in picture 1 to go on the front. Nothing else will fit. These are the only bearings that will fit on this era of car for the front. I don't think the P3 chassis Volvo's ever used the bolt-on type bearings on the front.

Be careful with 1A Auto videos. They usually show the previous generation (P2) Volvo's, which aren't the same as P3's. The parts are different and depending on what you're fixing, the bolt sizes could be different etc etc. If you're watching videos, you need to make sure that the car is exactly the same as yours (i.e. the car in the video is a facelift).

For example, you can have a 2007 P2 that's the older shape, but you can have a 2007 P3 facelift... completely different cars. So you could search wheel bearing replacement on a 2007 Volvo V70 and end up watching a repair video of the older generation car, which isn't the same as the newer.

Last edited by Kev0607; Yesterday at 22:01.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 10:28   #9
emtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
You've posted this thread in the P3 chassis section... the last generation of V70. What year is your car?

If its a facelift V70 (known as P3 platform/chassis), then you need the bearing in picture 1 to go on the front. Nothing else will fit. These are the only bearings that will fit on this era of car for the front. I don't think the P3 chassis Volvo's ever used the bolt-on type bearings on the front.

Be careful with 1A Auto videos. They usually show the previous generation (P2) Volvo's, which aren't the same as P3's. The parts are different and depending on what you're fixing, the bolt sizes could be different etc etc. If you're watching videos, you need to make sure that the car is exactly the same as yours (i.e. the car in the video is a facelift).

For example, you can have a 2007 P2 that's the older shape, but you can have a 2007 P3 facelift... completely different cars. So you could search wheel bearing replacement on a 2007 Volvo V70 and end up watching a repair video of the older generation car, which isn't the same as the newer.
When entering the registration number on the Swedish Autodoc site this comes up:
V70 III (BW, 135) 2.4D 163hp D5244T5. 2008.
Produced from April 2007 to Dec. 2010.
According to the Vehicle Registration Card the car was produced in November 2007.

I've bought parts from skandix.de in the past and never got the wrong part. The reason may be that they list parts according to the VIN-number, and for my car the hub/bearing kit is the one that needs to be pressed in/out.
They usually have several alternatives ranging from cheap via medium quality to Volvo original. The Volvo original bearing is three times as expensive as the INA/FAG bearings.
Parts from INA/FAG are usually very good, so I may ask the garage to order those.
Old Today, 13:45   #10
Kev0607
Premier Member

VIN number is always the most accurate way to get parts. Registration number isn't always accurate. Or if you have the part in front of you and can see the part number, type that in and order the same one or equivalent one from another brand using that part number. Sometimes you can't see a part number, so its not always possible.

I personally use SKF. FAG are good too though. INA are good for timing belt parts, but I've never fitted an INA wheel bearing.