Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Parts availability

Views : 1262

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 1st, 2008, 17:20   #1
Mike1967
Premier Member

Default Parts availability

Picked up my new air hose today from Volvo main dealer , they had to order it in special for me .
I thought while im there I'll pick up some plugs and two dizzy caps and rotor arms , they only told me they would have to order these to as they dont stock them .

Tried a local motor factors near me also today , they told me the same they would have to order them for me . Now is this a problem thats had by many 240 owners , or is it just me ?
Mike1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 17:38   #2
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Stig I have used these guys for Dizzy Caps, rotors, plugs, pads & discs, radiators and so on. So far have found they provide good service, good prices & decent quality stuff.
Brake stuff is usually 'BREMBO' Rads are 'NISSENS', Plugs are Bosch or NGK.

Dizzy Caps & Filters are by MANN (& the oil filters do have the non-return valve thingy too)

www.gsfcarparts.com

Cheers.
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 18:42   #3
Velorum
VOC Member

Halfords stock dizzy caps and rota arms etc - not the best quality though so wont last as long. Dealers such as Braydons will supply O/E parts by bext day delivery
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 19:03   #4
Mike1967
Premier Member

I tried calling Braydons the number you gave me Ian , got a reply saying the chap would phone me back . He never did .

Ian can you refresh my memory please , how long or many miles to change the leads plugs etc..............
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 19:19   #5
DarrenK
Jävla Volvo Förare!

Any local motorfactors I've been into for parts for my 245 and 480, most have had to be ordered in. It's not really a big deal as the parts come next day.

GSF Car Parts are pretty good - they have loads of typical parts in stock and they seem to keep well stocked up to. They are cheaper than my local motor factors and I've had very helpful customer service from them. Apart from a couple of problems I've had with their online shop, I noticed they've recently bumped their shipping cost up to Northern Ireland by three times it used to be, so unless I need a bulk order or loads of parts at once it's not really worth my while anymore.
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 19:29   #6
Mike1967
Premier Member

Will have to give those GSF people a try I think .
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 19:31   #7
toolbah
Master Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-am-the-Stig View Post
Picked up my new air hose today from Volvo main dealer , they had to order it in special for me .
I thought while im there I'll pick up some plugs and two dizzy caps and rotor arms , they only told me they would have to order these to as they dont stock them .

Tried a local motor factors near me also today , they told me the same they would have to order them for me . Now is this a problem thats had by many 240 owners , or is it just me ?
Well lets face it Stiggy with a face like that I too would tell U I have to order parts in!!! U do look dodgey in that helmet
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 20:06   #8
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

No dealer will keep these parts in stock now. I usually keep all the parts (at least one set) in stock and by ordering on the dealer's stock order get a better discount. I must say I will only use Volvo leads caps and rotors after a lot of problems with quality on lesser makes including having to return from France with my 2.0 towing the trailer and only firing on 3 cylinders due to failure of a nearly new lead. Now carry a box of new ones in the car along with all the other useful bits.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 20:46   #9
Velorum
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-am-the-Stig View Post
I tried calling Braydons the number you gave me Ian , got a reply saying the chap would phone me back . He never did .
Odd, Ive never had a problem getting through to Tony.

Some of the other guys there will be able to help (well, if they can sort out parts for a 340 then a 240 will be no problem!). You could try the main numbers:

Ph : (020) 8985 0336 | Fx : (020) 8986 6633

Ian
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 20:55   #10
Mike1967
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbah View Post
Well lets face it Stiggy with a face like that I too would tell U I have to order parts in!!! U do look dodgey in that helmet
Trust you to say something Andy ! ! Thanks anyway mate .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Brace View Post
No dealer will keep these parts in stock now. I usually keep all the parts (at least one set) in stock and by ordering on the dealer's stock order get a better discount. I must say I will only use Volvo leads caps and rotors after a lot of problems with quality on lesser makes including having to return from France with my 2.0 towing the trailer and only firing on 3 cylinders due to failure of a nearly new lead. Now carry a box of new ones in the car along with all the other useful bits.

Mike
After speaking to you Mike and other 240 owners I think I'll go down the road of getting Volvo parts . As my wifey drives the 240 on occasions with our daughter in tow I just dont want her breaking down due to inferior parts if only to save a few quid !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Hutchinson View Post
Odd, Ive never had a problem getting through to Tony.

Some of the other guys there will be able to help (well, if they can sort out parts for a 340 then a 240 will be no problem!). You could try the main numbers:

Ph : (020) 8985 0336 | Fx : (020) 8986 6633

Ian
Thanks Ian , Like I mentioned to you someone answer his phone and told me he would pass on the message and he would phone me back . Never happened , not to worry anyway .