Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

v40 heater

Views : 4123

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 5th, 2011, 21:03   #1
bilfish

Default v40 heater

Hi anybody out there know how to fix 04 volvo V40 diesel estate heater blower doesn;t work and only comes on intermittantly when I start the car with heater controls already set. comes on maybe once a week, while working if i reduce blower speed blower goes off.
bilfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2011, 23:46   #2
drh3

My 02 V40 is having the same problem. Over a year or so, the fan control has become less reliable. In hot weather it is fine, but speed control was all over the place. As the weather gets colder, the fan takes longer and longer before kicking in. The symptom starts with a dead control panel - the backlights are on, but none of the control buttons will light. After a random amount of time, the orange light on the AC button flashes and eventually goes solid and the fan will start. I've replaced the infamous fan resistor as well as the pollen filter as a cheap starter for 10. Still the same problem. I had read elsewhere that the problem can be dry solder joints on the printed circuit board in the control unit on the dashboard, specifically the 3 legs of the fan speed potentiometer. I removed this and sweated and then resoldered the legs. This certainly had an effect, but didn't fix the problem. I then bought a second hand unit from Ebay - same problem. I bought a further 2 units from scrap yards - still the same problem. I spoke to a Volvo mechanic who said this was a common fault in the V40 and that replacement units were a "fingers crossed fix". He suggested that they would all be of a similar age and therefore at the same point of failure. I've been quoted £520 inc VAT for a new one from Volvo, so am trying to avoid that for the time being. I have one more coming from a breaker's yard on Thursday - if I have the same problem again, it looks like Volvo shareholders will be benefitting from my hard-earned.

If you need any info on how to replace the bits yourself (resistor, pollen filter, control unit) let me know - I've become an expert in the past couple of weeks! If I get a fix, I'll let you know...
drh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 00:46   #3
gatos
Premier Member

I have just fixed one today. One of the joints was dry so I re-soldered the controller

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2011, 01:37   #4
drh3

Smile

I need to brush up on my soldering! Do you offer a soldering service :o)

Last edited by drh3; Nov 12th, 2011 at 01:46.
Old Nov 12th, 2011, 02:02   #5
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3 View Post
I need to brush up on my soldering! Do you offer a soldering service )
lol. All I did was to use the tip of the soldering iron to melt the existing bit and added a tiny bit of lead-tin alloy on top. 2 minute job.

If you want to send it, I can do it for free. But I am sure that a friend of yours must have a soldering iron and you could save the postage

Nullius in Verba
Old Nov 12th, 2011, 02:12   #6
drh3

I've had another go tonight, but got a better desoldering pump and sucked the joints totally dry and removed the potentiometer, cleaned it up and then resoldered the joints. I suspect when I sweated the joints before and added new solder then the old solder was in such a bad state that it just kept oxidising on the joint, leaving a dry joint. Fingers crossed - will test it tomorrow. New joints look a bit shinier than the old ones did. Just hope I haven't overheated the pads on the board, but I've got a few boards in my collection now!

What was the problem with yours? Was it intermittent or totally dead?
Old Nov 12th, 2011, 02:48   #7
gatos
Premier Member

It wasn't mine. It was Siamblue's. The fan was erratic going up and down randomly. I had a spare one, which I gave him and I kept his one. Now I fixed it, I have another spare one for next time...

Nullius in Verba
Old Nov 12th, 2011, 11:38   #8
drh3

Yes - it seems to be a common fault. I've had the V40 for 2 years now (02 plate) and the fan became erratic a month or so after buying it. I didn't think a lot of it, but it just got worse and worse to the point that it packed in completely and the control panel appeared dead. At some point today, the resoldered board is going back in - fingers crossed.
Old Nov 12th, 2011, 20:11   #9
drh3

Looks like a no go with the soldering. I'm beginning to get concerned that 3 control units later, still no go. Does anyone know what other components are involved in the blower motor control. The fan works, the resistor pack on the fan has been replaced. Is there anything else upstream of the control unit that might affect its operation?
Old Nov 12th, 2011, 22:26   #10
gatos
Premier Member

Just a silly thought. But is there any chance that you originally had climate control in your car and the other control units you tried were for simple Air Con? I know it is a far shot but you never know. You can tell you had climate if there is a tiny vent between the right 2 knobs.

If not, I am not so sure. Either you are extremely unlucky with your units or there is a problem somewhere else. But having taken apart an S40 and a V40, I have never noticed any other modules controlling the air con

Nullius in Verba