Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

s60 d5 starting up problem

Views : 1172

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2011, 17:46   #1
boost junky!

Default s60 d5 starting up problem

Hi all, after a little advice! Bought a 2002 s60 d5 a week ago. Lovely car but it takes quite a while to start up and this moring took several attempts to start. Fired up eventually and seemed to help when i gave it a little throttle? Has anyone else had this problem? Many thanks!
boost junky! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 17:55   #2
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost junky! View Post
Hi all, after a little advice! Bought a 2002 s60 d5 a week ago. Lovely car but it takes quite a while to start up and this moring took several attempts to start. Fired up eventually and seemed to help when i gave it a little throttle? Has anyone else had this problem? Many thanks!
when was it last serviced, look to the fuel filter first.
mike
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 18:41   #3
Thassos
GoldMember

Default Injectors?

I recall that the early 2002/2003 ? D5's had troubles with the injectors which showed up in the colder weather starting, might be wrong but do a search on injectors D5

There are quite a lot of posts on cold starting possible causes, heres one i found on injectors

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=107349

Last edited by Thassos; Feb 12th, 2011 at 18:51. Reason: adding link
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 19:49   #4
boost junky!

Hi guys, apparantly it was serviced approx 1000miles ago, tho i could have been duped there i guess! If it was an injector problem wouldnt it affect the cars running as well as the start up?
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 19:59   #5
obbard
fed up of snooty people

Quote:
Hi guys, apparantly it was serviced approx 1000miles ago, tho i could have been duped there i guess! If it was an injector problem wouldnt it affect the cars running as well as the start up?
It generally just affects start up as I understand it:, the injector becomes worn, too much fuel passes and it cannot build enough pressure for the ECU/sensors to fire the engine. (very delicate!!)

Too much fuel on these quantities will be hardly noticeable on daily driving and will run fine, mine got to 15-20 seconds before starting on occasions, but ran fine daily.
obbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 20:03   #6
boost junky!

Was yours the d5 too? what did you do to fix the problem? thanks for all your replies!
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 20:12   #7
obbard
fed up of snooty people

Quote:
Was yours the d5 too? what did you do to fix the problem? thanks for all your replies!
Mine is a d5,163 I had leak test done by my local Volvo indy, for about £40, which highlighted the 'bad' injector. Thought Id get the professional in for that bit.

Sourced a second had one for £80 from a low mileage car (new ones were about £300 each!, so thought would take the risk) and just removed the old and put in the new. took about 20mins to do, much quicker and easier than I thought!

From what I have read, do not go for reconditioned injectors as seem more problematic, I got mine from fleabay in the end, just kept looking until I found one at right price, local scrap yards were charging about £100.

If you have just one or two that are leaking, you do NOT need to have the engine management system reset and the system will do this itself as a self diagnosis over the first few hundred miles!

Ususal dont take my word for it, not my fault if goes wrong etc etc
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 20:20   #8
boost junky!

Thanks for the advice obbard, i shall have to get myself down to sw autos as its only 20mins away and see what he can do for me in the way of a leak test. £300 each? lol its almost a write off if you had to get a whole new row of injectors and pay for fitting too!
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 20:28   #9
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Thanks for the advice obbard, i shall have to get myself down to sw autos as its only 20mins away and see what he can do for me in the way of a leak test. £300 each? lol its almost a write off if you had to get a whole new row of injectors and pay for fitting too!
if you are going the leak test way back this up with a injector test that they should be able to do with the volvo diagnostic equipment they have. get the results off both tests if you go down that route then post them up.
mike
Old Feb 13th, 2011, 12:50   #10
obbard
fed up of snooty people

Quote:
Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
if you are going the leak test way back this up with a injector test that they should be able to do with the volvo diagnostic equipment they have. get the results off both tests if you go down that route then post them up.
mike
Good call outnumbered
The Following User Says Thank You to obbard For This Useful Post: