Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bent Push Rod

Views : 90

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread : LawsonJD

Old Yesterday, 15:55   #1
ColoradoAmazon

Default Bent Push Rod

I purchased a 1962 121 that came with a rebuilt B18 engine. The previous owner installed the engine but never completed the installation or ever fired the engine.

I have completed the installation and have run the engine. The engine initially ran fine but started running rough. I discovered cylinder #1 had no spark and was really low on compression. I removed the valve cover and discovered the intake push rod on cylinder #1 was bend and is stuck in the head.

I'm a novice when it comes to engines so I'm looking for some input.

1 - How does something like this happen? (wondering if the valves were not adjusted properly. Some of the other push rods are loose)?
2 - I'm thinking I need to remove the rocker shaft, pull out the bent push rod, install a new push rod and adjust the valves.

Any input on what caused this and how to remedy would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0999.jpg (128.7 KB, 11 views)
ColoradoAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 16:25   #2
Juular

Fairly certain this was caused by the clearance adjustment being in completely the wrong postcode. Too loose and the pushrod will jump out of the rocker assembly and possibly bend on the next cycle. Too tight and the forces in the valve train could bend it.

Nothing to lose by replacing that pushrod, maybe all of them (check for staightness) and redoing the clearances.
Juular is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 16:29   #3
Rustinmotion

Bent pushrod could be a stuck valve or interference with valve and piston , binding springs or a sticking rocker arm, was the engine tuned? High lift cam or skimmed head?
Rustinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rustinmotion For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 18:09   #4
ColoradoAmazon

I did not adjust the valves and just assumed they were adjusted properly. Definitely a mistake. I do not think they are adjusted correctly. Hopefully nothing other than the push rod/rods are damaged.

This is what information I have on the engine rebuild: "Rebuilt B18 bored out to a B20, B20 head shaved 2mm with a K cam". However I cannot confirm if any of this is true. I'm going by what's on an order form for some Mikuni carburetors and the previous owner's recollection. The engine builder passed away.

I'm going to remove the push rods and check them for straightness, buy some replacement push rods, replace the push rods, adjust the valves and check everything.

Off to watch some YouTube videos. Anything I should look out for?
ColoradoAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 18:22   #5
Rustinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoAmazon View Post
I purchased a 1962 121 that came with a rebuilt B18 engine. The previous owner installed the engine but never completed the installation or ever fired the engine.

I have completed the installation and have run the engine. The engine initially ran fine but started running rough. I discovered cylinder #1 had no spark and was really low on compression. I removed the valve cover and discovered the intake push rod on cylinder #1 was bend and is stuck in the head.

I'm a novice when it comes to engines so I'm looking for some input.

1 - How does something like this happen? (wondering if the valves were not adjusted properly. Some of the other push rods are loose)?
2 - I'm thinking I need to remove the rocker shaft, pull out the bent push rod, install a new push rod and adjust the valves.

Any input on what caused this and how to remedy would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoAmazon View Post
I did not adjust the valves and just assumed they were adjusted properly. Definitely a mistake. I do not think they are adjusted correctly. Hopefully nothing other than the push rod/rods are damaged.

This is what information I have on the engine rebuild: "Rebuilt B18 bored out to a B20, B20 head shaved 2mm with a K cam". However I cannot confirm if any of this is true. I'm going by what's on an order form for some Mikuni carburetors and the previous owner's recollection. The engine builder passed away.

I'm going to remove the push rods and check them for straightness, buy some replacement push rods, replace the push rods, adjust the valves and check everything.

Off to watch some YouTube videos. Anything I should look out for?
Check for spring binding, if the PO used updated valve springs without machining the spring pockets you could be binding up the springs once it’s back together hand rotate the engine and make sure at full open there is still a gap between each of the spring coils
Rustinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rustinmotion For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 10:59   #6
Derek UK
VOC Member

Not the first time there has been a bent pushrod like this and it won't be the last. Roll pushrods on a sheet of glass. A mirror works fine. This may be the only one that needs replacing.
Be aware that some B18 blocks don't take to be being bored to B20 size due to core shifts when they were made. Can make the bore walls very thin and prone to cracking. If a good engine builder is aware of this the block can be checked before and after the rebore. Good luck.
Not sure what CR is now with a 2mm skim but best to user the highest octane gas you can.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote