Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Key memory setting - Doesn't move seats if unticked

Views : 1292

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 9th, 2020, 10:48   #1
Yelper85

Default Key memory setting - Doesn't move seats if unticked

Hi all,

My understanding of the key memory setting may be incorrect, however I thought the tick box was to stop other drivers of the car accidentally overwriting the settings in the key, so even if they overwrite memory locations 1-3 in the seat controller memory, the key retains the last saved setting.

This is so that if you had say three or four other users of the car, even if three different settings were saved to the seat memory, when the car is unlocked via the key it moves to the position as stored in that particular key (each key can have a different stored setting)

What I've found is that if the tick box is unchecked, it doesn't move the seat to the position stored in the key, so you have to tick it, press unlock on the key then open the door, then untick the setting again to ensure no other driver overwrites the key memory should they accidentally save a new seat setting with the option ticked.

Can anybody confirm that operation is correct?

20 plate XC60 Inscription Pro T8 PHEV + Polestar
Yelper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2020, 11:13   #2
MacV50
Master Member

I'd have to check the manual but my understanding is that that setting only links the seat setting to a particular key as it stores settings in the key's memory

E.g. my key is linked to setting 1 and my wife's to setting 2. When the door is opened with our respective keys, the seat moves to the correct position

I have noticed that it doesn't always work but haven't worked out yet the cause. I did think that the if I'm driving the car, I need to lock it with my key before my wife uses it but that doesn't always seem to be the case
Old Dec 9th, 2020, 11:23   #3
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacV50 View Post
I'd have to check the manual but my understanding is that that setting only links the seat setting to a particular key as it stores settings in the key's memory

E.g. my key is linked to setting 1 and my wife's to setting 2. When the door is opened with our respective keys, the seat moves to the correct position

I have noticed that it doesn't always work but haven't worked out yet the cause. I did think that the if I'm driving the car, I need to lock it with my key before my wife uses it but that doesn't always seem to be the case
Your first two points are bang on and exactly how it should work, as does mine.

The last point, not sure because according to the manual if you press unlock on the corresponding key and open the drivers door it will move to that keys stored position. This definitely works as this is how I realised the key memory setting tick box caused my issue.

Do you have keyless drive as I'm not sure how it would react in this scenario given you don't need to press unlock, so how does it know what setting to use? I assume it just picks up the key signal and knows, but what if both keys are present in/near the car? . . . . Maybe the first key it detected is used but then how do you change to the other key if keyless?

What I've found is if the setting for key memory is unticked, it doesn't move to the stored key positions ever, you have to go it and tick it again. Annoying and very easy to forget to turn it off if multiple drivers use the car and like to mess around with seat positions.

Of course one of the other drivers could go into the settings and tick the box and save a new seat setting to the key, but this would be deliberate.

Old Dec 9th, 2020, 11:25   #4
Rocinante
Master Member

It's not something I use on a regular basis as my wife rarely uses my car, but I thought like MacV50 that the keys are linked to the memory buttons on the seat, but I certainly don't need more that the three button positions so not something I've experimented with. Someone who uses it more may be able to correct me.

I believe the tick is simply to enable the seat to move to the position with the use of that key, or as you said, it doesn't move. Can you not just keep one key with your settings, and the others use the other key, and tell them to stop messing around with the seat memory. How many people use this car ?

Last edited by Rocinante; Dec 9th, 2020 at 11:33.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocinante For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2020, 11:42   #5
Whyman
Premier Member

As I understand it each key saves the position of the seat and mirrors when the car was last locked.

This is separate from the saved positions in the sear memory.

So if we go out with one key and I drive there with my key and the wife drives home also using my key but adjusted the seat and mirrors using the seat memory to suit her. If she locks the car, when we get home, with my key then my key now has her seat positions saved on it.

The only way to stop this is to reset the seat and mirrors back to my saved position from the seat memory button and then lock the car.

If we take both keys, if she unlocks the car with her key to drive home the seat will move to the keys saved position and save it when the car is locked when we get home.
Old Dec 9th, 2020, 11:52   #6
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
It's not something I use on a regular basis as my wife rarely uses my car, but I thought like MacV50 that the keys are linked to the memory buttons on the seat, but I certainly don't need more that the three button positions so not something I've experimented with. Someone who uses it more may be able to correct me.

I believe the tick is simply to enable the seat to move to the position with the use of that key, or as you said, it doesn't move. Can you not just keep one key with your settings, and the others use the other key, and tell them to stop messing around with the seat memory. How many people use this car ?
It's just me that uses it, I'm just a very curious person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post
As I understand it each key saves the position of the seat and mirrors when the car was last locked.

This is separate from the saved positions in the sear memory.

So if we go out with one key and I drive there with my key and the wife drives home also using my key but adjusted the seat and mirrors using the seat memory to suit her. If she locks the car, when we get home, with my key then my key now has her seat positions saved on it.

The only way to stop this is to reset the seat and mirrors back to my saved position from the seat memory button and then lock the car.

If we take both keys, if she unlocks the car with her key to drive home the seat will move to the keys saved position and save it when the car is locked when we get home.
Now that's an interesting thought, is it saved when locking but the key memory setting must be ticked?

My understanding was as long as that setting is ticked, when you save a seat memory, that setting then gets written to the key as well, so in theory you can have 3 x seat memory and 1 x key memory (per key).

If it's the case the settings are stored when locked, that would also make sense but still mean that to stop others writing to it, you'd need to untick the setting but that means the next time you unlock, it won't move automatically.

Old Dec 11th, 2020, 14:22   #7
Whyman
Premier Member

I think you are right because, twice when the car has been in for service I have found that the key function stopped working. When I checked the system I found that the settings had been unchecked, perhaps by a software update during the service.

Checked the setting and normal service was resumed.
Old Dec 16th, 2020, 16:00   #8
Yelper85

My understanding is still not clear on this after having more issues yesterday.

We said that if unticked, the seat doesn't move back the correct position if it's in a different place to what the key is set at. This may be true, but if it is then it's ridiculous.

It was believed that the settings are stored to the key when either locking the car or when the memory buttons were set. I don't think this is true, I think they are stored as soon as the seat and mirrors have been moved. See the attached screen shots of the manual to see what you think.

I was in the car yesterday, moved the seats and mirrors, pressed unlock and opened the door which should have moved it back to the original positions . . . nothing. I tried it with the setting unticked, nothing. I then moved the seat via the memory buttons, unticked in the menu then moved the seats. I the ticked the menu, pressed unlock, opened the door and voila, it moved.

To me this proves the settings are stored in the key as soon as a change is made if the box is ticked. The problem there is anybody driving the key in that situation, if they move seat positions, it will get stored to the key. If none of the seat memory positions match the original key settings, the key owner then needs to setup his/her desired setup again.

If the only way to stop that happening is to untick in the system, the next time you get in the car you need to go into the system, tick the box, press unlock then open the door!

If this is the case, why didn't they add the setting to the MY CAR shortcut menu?

What do you lot think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Key memory 1.jpg (122.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: png Key memory 2.PNG (92.1 KB, 9 views)