Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Upgraded from V40 T4 to V50 D5

Views : 1527

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 29th, 2013, 21:06   #1
avfcS40

Default Upgraded from V40 T4 to V50 D5

Hi All.

Can't say I'm a noob as I've been on this site for a while.
Up to just under 2 years ago i had never thought about buying a volvo.
To date I've bought 5 lol.
My latest is the V50 D5 SE Sports which I've had for around 2 weeks.

Previous to this i had 2 P1 S40 T4's then 2 P2 V40 T4's.
Before delving into the diesel d5 world i done alot of groundwork , got familiar with all the issues, egr , dpf , throttle body, inlet manifold etc and thought....let's go for it!!!

Anyhow so far so good, it's had a cambelt change at 108k and an egr clean last year.
At the moment, the average mpg is reading 27.9

How do i reset it?

I also have plans to make it more to my liking, with a budget of around £1k.

Stainless exhaust
Dpf delete
Rear discs/pads (mintex or brembo)
Tints all round
Wind reflectors (purchased)
Lowering springs (on its way)
Existing wheels refurbished (unsure of colour) or
Refurb some 18" pegasus alloys

Will also be claying the bodywork as it has white paint specs over the rear section, including roof.
This will be my first time attempting something like this so any advice will be most welcomed.

Btw, I've booked it in for a health check tmrw, and I'm pondering over getting a diagnosis.
The cruise control doesn't work, and I'm sure loads more issues will flag up.

Hey ho.
Will put up a few pics tomorrow.

Last edited by avfcS40; Aug 29th, 2013 at 21:16.
avfcS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2013, 23:56   #2
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Your being a bit ambitious for the amount of work you want to get done for 1k.

DPF Delete = Do lots of homework and ask lots of questions!
DPF Delete = Remap required
Remap = May as well do other things first (Exhaust)
Exhaust = Milltek from Shark or Ferrita from Don @ Kalmar Union

T o reset fuel economy etc... Press and hold the 'Reset' button on the left hand stalk, if the display is sitting on 'Average MPG' for instance and you press and hold the reset button for 2 to 3 seconds it will blank the average MPG. At this point only the average MPG would reset but if you don't let the reset button go and continue to hold, after a total of approx. 4 to 5 seconds the information in the display says something like Trip Computer Reset and all settings will be reset not just the one you were on (Av MPG).

Paint, you can use Tardis, this is a great tar remover and will probably help as a starting point before you clay bar the car. Just make sure you either get clay that doesn't require lube or ensure you have lube to use with the clay.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 01:38   #3
noney82
Master Member

My work have just got a 2009 s40 d5 I want one but isn't the mpg poor? So you've had 5 volvos in 2 years? Did I read that right :-\. As Sony said shark are the way forward.
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 19:12   #4
850Chris
Premier Member

How do you find the D5 performance after the T4? Guessing the T4 put a bigger grin on your face but the D5 means you hang around at fuel station forecourts less or is the D5 still sufficiently rapid?

2004 V50 T5 SE Manual

Now sold, off to BMW land for a while.
850Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 19:23   #5
Thehood
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Chris View Post
How do you find the D5 performance after the T4? Guessing the T4 put a bigger grin on your face but the D5 means you hang around at fuel station forecourts less or is the D5 still sufficiently rapid?

If he is anything like me he will find a big difference read a lot of boloxs about how great good the d5 was ,.......turned out a big disappointment after a turbo petrol and to make things worse there not even that economical
Thehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 19:24   #6
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
Your being a bit ambitious for the amount of work you want to get done for 1k.

DPF Delete = Do lots of homework and ask lots of questions!
DPF Delete = Remap required
Remap = May as well do other things first (Exhaust)
Exhaust = Milltek from Shark or Ferrita from Don @ Kalmar Union

T o reset fuel economy etc... Press and hold the 'Reset' button on the left hand stalk, if the display is sitting on 'Average MPG' for instance and you press and hold the reset button for 2 to 3 seconds it will blank the average MPG. At this point only the average MPG would reset but if you don't let the reset button go and continue to hold, after a total of approx. 4 to 5 seconds the information in the display says something like Trip Computer Reset and all settings will be reset not just the one you were on (Av MPG).

Paint, you can use Tardis, this is a great tar remover and will probably help as a starting point before you clay bar the car. Just make sure you either get clay that doesn't require lube or ensure you have lube to use with the clay.

Agree fully with SV over the 1K you are looking at a large percentage already taken up with DPF removal and remap (decent).

I would test Tardis if you do in an area that is very unseen first just in case - rather famously I have seen this stuff "eat" through a plastic cup in 20 minutes essentially Tardis is a mixture Xylene and Naptha. Additionally do not leave it on trim for to long otherwise it will stain and rinse down throughly with water following using it (otherwise clay will just break up)

I would also look into fallout removers to be used following tardis - Iron-X etc.

PB did some decent videos on Tardis:
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/blog/...is-demo-video/

I also urge you if you do go down this route to not buy from Ebay for lots of reasons mainly because I know of people being ripped off, it needs proper delivery methods in a metal container and suitable labeling virtually NO ebay seller does this.

If you are really being up to date you can consider polyshave blocks and clay clothes instead of bars O.o http://www.carpro.uk.com/polyshave-decon-block/

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...wels-cat7.html

As for claybars only requiring water I only know of one from Bilt Hamber .

Last edited by Ninja59; Aug 30th, 2013 at 19:46.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 20:00   #7
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Well done Ninja, I knew you'd be along with the necessary on the cleaning side.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 20:12   #8
avfcS40

Thanks for your replies and advise

With regard to using tardis and clay (meguiars ) I'm going to wimp out big time and pay to get it done properly,A full detail. (I have a friend who does it)

I dont have the patience to do it. Just waxing the car today after a wash done me head in lol.

I got a quote for a cat back exhaust for £295 & £180 for a sport cat.

Looks like will try shark to remove dpf & remap.

The difference between the T4 & D5 are like night and day.

I would match the D5 against the other diesel car i owned, a manual 04 plate mondeo tdci.

Prefer the D5 in all area's .

I enjoyed the drive and the grin factors of V40 T4's as they were both remaped but they don't come close to my Toyota Aristo V300 :-)

The T4's were for my daily drive daily,but i prefer the D5 for its comfort, looks and mpg , albeit not great atm but it will get better , i hope.....
avfcS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 20:17   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
Agree fully with SV over the 1K you are looking at a large percentage already taken up with DPF removal and remap (decent).

I would test Tardis if you do in an area that is very unseen first just in case - rather famously I have seen this stuff "eat" through a plastic cup in 20 minutes essentially Tardis is a mixture Xylene and Naptha. Additionally do not leave it on trim for to long otherwise it will stain and rinse down throughly with water following using it (otherwise clay will just break up)

I would also look into fallout removers to be used following tardis - Iron-X etc.

PB did some decent videos on Tardis:
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/blog/...is-demo-video/

I also urge you if you do go down this route to not buy from Ebay for lots of reasons mainly because I know of people being ripped off, it needs proper delivery methods in a metal container and suitable labeling virtually NO ebay seller does this.

If you are really being up to date you can consider polyshave blocks and clay clothes instead of bars O.o http://www.carpro.uk.com/polyshave-decon-block/

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...wels-cat7.html

As for claybars only requiring water I only know of one from Bilt Hamber .
Is soapy water a good lubricant for a piece of clay ?
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 20:37   #10
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfcS40 View Post
Thanks for your replies and advise

With regard to using tardis and clay (meguiars ) I'm going to wimp out big time and pay to get it done properly,A full detail. (I have a friend who does it)

I dont have the patience to do it. Just waxing the car today after a wash done me head in lol.
Everyone has a friend who appears to do it, I assume you have seen his work and dare I ask - protection or enhancement or correction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Is soapy water a good lubricant for a piece of clay ?
Depends on how you term "soapy water" - I would not go sticking fairy liquid in a spray bottle with water then clay owing to the nature of the dishwasher liquids. But car shampoo and water in a sprayer is a viable alternative to any quick detailer or clay lubricant yes - speaking to someone that regularly used to do the same.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote