Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Exhaust - back box replacement

Views : 1934

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 20th, 2017, 13:41   #1
Bigman1207

Default Exhaust - back box replacement

Hi all,

Little advice needed please. back box has hole and need replacing.

2001 V70 T5 Auto.

All of the ones on line for my car are showing a short pipe (on the back box)where the middle silencer pipe joins the back box.

However my one seems to join at the rear silencer rear hanging brackets. A "S" shape pipe coming out of the rear of the back box (if that makes sense)

The on line pictures (appreciate that they may be stock /library pictures) all seem to have the back box clamping onto the centre pipe at the back of the rear silencer?

Pic 1 view form rear of back box
Pic 2 rear of back box (not tail pipe)
Pic 3 Join at centre section exhaust hangers
Pic 4 Same as Pic 3

So its a simple.... where do I get a replacement at a reasonable (read cheap) price please.

Regards

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170620_131854_resized.jpg (231.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 20170620_131917_resized.jpg (171.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 20170620_131942_resized.jpg (204.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 20170620_131947_resized.jpg (115.6 KB, 32 views)
Peugeot 206 - Kids learning to drive thing
Sprite Caravan - Music Festival thing

Last edited by Bigman1207; Jun 20th, 2017 at 13:44.
Bigman1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2017, 20:26   #2
savabill
Master Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272282024891

go into their Ebay shop and you'll find what you want. I don't think you'll find cheaper. Good quality as well.

NOW 59 REG 2.5T V70 Ice White

SOLD 55 REG T5 V70 Ruby Red
savabill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to savabill For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2017, 00:51   #3
Bigman1207

Had a look in the shop and still struggling to find the right one, all seem to join at the base of the back box whereas mine does not

really don't need the middle section just the back box with a longer pipe to join in the centre

cheers

M
Old Jun 21st, 2017, 09:54   #4
BobS
Master Member

Hi,

Had the same problem and as I understand it the original exhaust is only 1 part from the cat box back. This joint is in line with the the front seats.

Replacement exhaust even from Volvo now have this part split into 2 parts. That is probably what you see in online replacement pics.

I purchased the ebay replacement shown in the earlier post as you will pay the same if not more just for the rear part. It seems to be well made with thick metal. May not be 'stainless steel' like the original but will certainly outlive my car.
Has been on for a year now and still looks good.

Mine came with a new gasket, Joint bolts and rubber hangers.

Easy enough to fit. You will need exhaust joint compound.

Bob
PS. The joint to the Cat was fixed with 2 round studs that I had to cut off. So have some hacksaw blades ready.
Old Jun 21st, 2017, 11:23   #5
TDIvolvo
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigman1207 View Post
Hi all,

Little advice needed please. back box has hole and need replacing.

2001 V70 T5 Auto.

All of the ones on line for my car are showing a short pipe (on the back box)where the middle silencer pipe joins the back box.

However my one seems to join at the rear silencer rear hanging brackets. A "S" shape pipe coming out of the rear of the back box (if that makes sense)

The on line pictures (appreciate that they may be stock /library pictures) all seem to have the back box clamping onto the centre pipe at the back of the rear silencer?

Pic 1 view form rear of back box
Pic 2 rear of back box (not tail pipe)
Pic 3 Join at centre section exhaust hangers
Pic 4 Same as Pic 3

So its a simple.... where do I get a replacement at a reasonable (read cheap) price please.

Regards

Michael
The replacement back boxes have a larger I.D. pipe that sleeves over the existing, then a clamp fastens over it all. You can cut the back box off (measure carefully) then sleeve the new one on. Basically the system came (as many manufacturers do) as a single piece for additional strength and generally a better lasting piece with less joints. Then as parts need replaced you switch to the sections. I once had a car which from the factory had a 1 piece exhaust - only way to remove it was to cut it out, clearly it was placed before the body went onto the chassis - lasted well.

I bought a new suitcase backbox for my T5 V70 a year or so ago, I just gave my reg, got a Bosal part, and cut the old one off.

I also had at the time a 2.4 V70 "parts car" - I was going to pinch the back box off it at the time until I realised it still had it's one piece exhaust and I needed to get the pipe fitted and get back out and about. I think I had the exhaust bought and fitted in about 30mins!

The only downside is the T5 exhaust should have a chrome tip, I couldn't find one with this - so I cut the tip off the old one and will weld it on as it does look much smarter.

Last edited by TDIvolvo; Jun 21st, 2017 at 11:26.
TDIvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TDIvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2017, 01:36   #6
Bigman1207

Brilliant and many thanks for replies.

Mine does not have the chrome tip, however that does answer a question by an on line Ebay parts supplies who can supply the whole back box and centre section for around £95 (reviews are good and feedback 2455 @100 per cent) asking if mine had the chrome end so really happy that this would fit.

Liking the bit about cutting the old box off and simply replacing the back box as that literally halves the price as the centre section is all good.

Still undecided on just back box or get the complete set up but will have a good look underneath and see where I go form there, will keep this thread updated

Cheers

Michael
Old Jun 22nd, 2017, 10:38   #7
TDIvolvo
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigman1207 View Post
Brilliant and many thanks for replies.

Mine does not have the chrome tip, however that does answer a question by an on line Ebay parts supplies who can supply the whole back box and centre section for around £95 (reviews are good and feedback 2455 @100 per cent) asking if mine had the chrome end so really happy that this would fit.

Liking the bit about cutting the old box off and simply replacing the back box as that literally halves the price as the centre section is all good.

Still undecided on just back box or get the complete set up but will have a good look underneath and see where I go form there, will keep this thread updated

Cheers

Michael
You will find the front/centre section should outlive about 2 back-boxes.

The middle one gets bloody hot and stays dry, the rear one doesn't get as hot on short journeys and is exposed to road spray.

I have seen my rear exhaust steaming away after I park on short journeys, so it's getting hot, but the steam and heat are actually just a perfect corrosion activator so it is really no wonder they rot out a treat, they also gather a lot of the exhaust moisture which binds with acid gas which then gets stuck in there on short journeys which super rots them out.
TDIvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2017, 21:17   #8
wise old monkey
Premier Member

the rear box also collects water inside it, i have a 2month old rear box in garage off another v70 as a spare and it sounds like a petrol tank with all the water sloshing about
wise old monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2017, 14:08   #9
Bigman1207

Default Help again please

Okay do I I'm trying to remove the section that attaches to the cat. That is one piece Eton rear of cat to back box

Do I undo the bolts at the cat side. . Facing the front of the car. Or the nuts facing the rear of the car.

Cheers
Old Jun 28th, 2017, 14:13   #10
wise old monkey
Premier Member

do you not have a middle box after the cat which unbolts
wise old monkey is offline   Reply With Quote