Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Interesting selling experience so far - 760 GLE

Views : 2221

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 19th, 2022, 14:50   #1
russwinchester

Default Interesting selling experience so far - 760 GLE

I just thought I'd share with the forum group what the Volvo 700 Estate marketplace is like, so five days into my eBay auction with start bid at £2.5k (might be ambitious, might not be) I have no bids, a few cheeky £1k offers and over 90 auction watchers, I have to say a first for me, never have I listed anything with such potential interest.

Anyhow for those interested, link is here and you can keep an eye on how much it goes for, and equally if it goes!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165334515225

Final observation, I've never known a car that's so all over the place for price. There are people literally giving them away on this forum and there are people charging 7k plus. Hagerty values it from £1k for a dog to £5700 for concourse museum piece.

Anyhow we will see how we go...feel free to take a bet.
russwinchester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to russwinchester For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2022, 15:13   #2
garethXC

would the PAS issue not cause a MOT tester to fail it?
garethXC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to garethXC For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2022, 15:18   #3
russwinchester

No, the PAS is literally the first steering input of a drive, after this it works 100% fine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to russwinchester For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2022, 15:24   #4
360beast
Go redblock or go home

The V6 is never going to get big bucks as their reputation precedes them for blown headgaskets, they're not as easy to maintain as a redblock, parts are harder to source and tbh a HPT redblock or a LPT with a manual boost controller will outperform a V6 easily. The low offers are probably from banger racers tbh and the cars that are listed over 4k will not sell for a long time and most of them have been for sale for well over a year.

If it were a 760 turbo you should easily see 2.5k for it especially when the in the photos it appears to be quite a straight and tidy car, but unfortunately being a V6 I highly doubt you will get that.

If you have the room to keep it I would recommend keeping it and enjoy it

If I come across as insulting in any way I don't mean to at all, it is just unfortunate that the B28 ruined the reputation for the B280 so the values have and always will be far less than a redblock 760 turbo.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2022, 16:18   #5
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

I have to agree, '360beast'. It is the reason that we never had a V6 despite owning several 7 - series cars in period. I have never liked the idea of a 90 deg V6, it seems somehow counter-intuitive. Yet these cars also have some very strong advocates - our own 'Laird Scooby', to name but one. I now believe that, given conscientious maintenance, they are almost certainly at least as reliable as any other similar motor cars.

Regards, John.
Old Feb 19th, 2022, 18:59   #6
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russwinchester View Post
I just thought I'd share with the forum group what the Volvo 700 Estate marketplace is like, so five days into my eBay auction with start bid at £2.5k (might be ambitious, might not be) I have no bids, a few cheeky £1k offers and over 90 auction watchers, I have to say a first for me, never have I listed anything with such potential interest.

Anyhow for those interested, link is here and you can keep an eye on how much it goes for, and equally if it goes!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165334515225

Final observation, I've never known a car that's so all over the place for price. There are people literally giving them away on this forum and there are people charging 7k plus. Hagerty values it from £1k for a dog to £5700 for concourse museum piece.

Anyhow we will see how we go...feel free to take a bet.
The trouble with the silly high priced ones is they never sell. Because someone chances their arm at 5k plus doesn't mean it's worth that.

Sadly Luke is right about the engine as well. Again no disrespect but it will be a hard sell
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2022, 19:27   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
If I come across as insulting in any way I don't mean to at all, it is just unfortunate that the B28 ruined the reputation for the B280 so the values have and always will be far less than a redblock 760 turbo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
I have to agree, '360beast'. It is the reason that we never had a V6 despite owning several 7 - series cars in period. I have never liked the idea of a 90 deg V6, it seems somehow counter-intuitive. Yet these cars also have some very strong advocates - our own 'Laird Scooby', to name but one. I now believe that, given conscientious maintenance, they are almost certainly at least as reliable as any other similar motor cars.

Regards, John.
Sadly that's all correct, the B28 was never the engine the B280 is and needed a lot of rework by Volvo to eliminate HGF and cam wear problems prevalent with the B27/B28 that went before the B280.

Little point of detail, the engine in the DMC-12 was the B28F (K-Jetronic + catalytic converter) which with all the USA emissions kit struggled to about 130bhp if memory serves.

As for being an advocate of the 90 deg V6, that's certainly fair comment as both my beasts are 90 deg V6s, the other one was designed as that to start with though, unlike the original PRV that was meant to be a V8 and thanks to the fuel crisis in ~1973/4 time, they decided to amputate 2 cylinders thinking nobody would want a 3.5L V8 Volvo or anything similar.
Funny thing was many manufacturers launched cars with similar sized engines about that time that sold well.

I did once own a B27 powered car, not a patch on the B280, nowhere near as smooth and definitely thirstier. The less said about that, the better though!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2022, 21:44   #8
SalvadorP
Master Member

The high price tendency is especially pronounced here in the Iberian peninsula where there are far less 200/700/900 Volvo than in the UK.
My theory is that most of these cars, many of them priced north of 8, 9, 10k, they are not really for sale. People are just pushing the values up.
Then there are people who don't know what they have and see these outrageous prices and think they'll get rich by selling their parents rusty Volvo with a blown head gasket.
I mean no disrespect. I'm talking about the situation in Portugal and Spain. Don't know the prices in the UK, but i agree 960, 760 never fetch the same prices as the redblocks do.
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 10:58   #9
russwinchester

Well of course the old girl didn't sell with a £2500 start bid, but get this, 120 auction watchers?!? Is that 120 7-series owners seeing what they are selling for these days?

I have never seen such interest in anything I've ever tried to sell in my life. Shame really, so much car for the money but as you've said in the thread maybe the reputation precedes the V6. I know mine has some minor niggles but its 33 years old right?

The bit that's most annoying is that eBay takes a fee for motors even if the car doesn't sell, unlike standard items. I've relisted as a classified ad with offers and will see what comes of it.

In the meantime if anyone wants a decent one with a lot of money spent, drop me a PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to russwinchester For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 11:14   #10
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russwinchester View Post
Well of course the old girl didn't sell with a £2500 start bid, but get this, 120 auction watchers?!? Is that 120 7-series owners seeing what they are selling for these days?

I have never seen such interest in anything I've ever tried to sell in my life. Shame really, so much car for the money but as you've said in the thread maybe the reputation precedes the V6. I know mine has some minor niggles but its 33 years old right?

The bit that's most annoying is that eBay takes a fee for motors even if the car doesn't sell, unlike standard items. I've relisted as a classified ad with offers and will see what comes of it.

In the meantime if anyone wants a decent one with a lot of money spent, drop me a PM.
Probably a lot of people on this forum watched it out of curiosity. You can look up what cars actually sold for on Ebay and I think you would get a shock as it's nowhwere near the price they start out at.

Sorry if I'm sounding like the prophet of doom but I think you will be lucky to get 1k for the car
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post: