Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 T8 Momentum MPG

Views : 1372

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 11th, 2016, 09:19   #1
PhilHoll

Default XC90 T8 Momentum MPG

Hi

I am sure this is in another thread somewhere, but I have been looking for a couple of hours and haven't been able to find anything that really answers my question.

I am looking at replacing my company car and very interested in the XC90 T8 Momentum. I currently have a BMW 5 series but am fed up with them

However, I am trying to understand the MPG in the different modes and the quoted MPG for the T8 Momentum seems somewhat unrealistic. I just want to gather as much information as I can concerning efficiency. My daily commute is all motorway and dual carriageway for about 30 mile each way

Any help that can be provided will be much appreciated

Many thanks
Phil
PhilHoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2016, 10:26   #2
Carl Sberglager

October issue of Top Gear mag has T8 on long term test (see page 156), mpg after 5,000 miles reported as 33.4

https://on.readly.com/GB/magazines/i...2016-09-07/156
Old Sep 11th, 2016, 11:51   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilHoll View Post
Hi

I am sure this is in another thread somewhere, but I have been looking for a couple of hours and haven't been able to find anything that really answers my question.

I am looking at replacing my company car and very interested in the XC90 T8 Momentum. I currently have a BMW 5 series but am fed up with them

However, I am trying to understand the MPG in the different modes and the quoted MPG for the T8 Momentum seems somewhat unrealistic. I just want to gather as much information as I can concerning efficiency. My daily commute is all motorway and dual carriageway for about 30 mile each way

Many thanks
Phil
that is not a bad distance for the battery to help a lot especially if you can charge it at each end of the journey . If you do 100's of miles on the motorway though the battery will not be much help after 15 miles or so ..It will be running on the petrol engine most of the time .
Did you particularly want a T8 for it's great 400+ bhp performance or for the economy ? A D5 would be good for economy on long motorway runs .
Old Sep 11th, 2016, 20:41   #4
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilHoll View Post
Hi

Many thanks
Phil
It absolutely depends on how often you charge it. Will you charge at work and home? Or one? Or neither? What percentage of total mileage will be commuting and what will be doing other stuff and will these other journeys be long journey or short?

Depending on your answers to above the mpg could be between 90 and 25........

Oh and dont forget that your mpg assumes that electicity is free which at home of course it is not.....
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5; 2016 XC90 T8
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2016, 22:22   #5
shortword

I'm at 6k KM in a T8 R-Design.

I'm seeing 35Mpg once the battery is gone. This is typical 100Km/h roads over 120Km round trip.
Old Sep 12th, 2016, 08:55   #6
yeoman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
It absolutely depends on how often you charge it. Will you charge at work and home? Or one? Or neither? What percentage of total mileage will be commuting and what will be doing other stuff and will these other journeys be long journey or short?

Depending on your answers to above the mpg could be between 90 and 25........

Oh and dont forget that your mpg assumes that electicity is free which at home of course it is not.....
THIS and also HOW YOU DRIVE it.

For instance, I forgot to charge my car yesterday and went on a 45 mile trip. Traveling at about 65 MPH, I was getting about 36 MPG. On the the way back, I set the cruise control to 72MPH and averaged 32.9 MPG.
yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2016, 10:19   #7
FooMan
First time Volvo owner

Don't forget to factor in the quite significant company car tax benefits for the T8 over D5.
Old Sep 13th, 2016, 21:40   #8
PhilHoll

Thanks

This is useful. I intend to charge it daily, and will drive generally two trips a day of 30 miles each
PhilHoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2016, 22:03   #9
Rooster
Speed freak

If you can charge it at home and work you will only be paying for 20 miles worth of petrol instead of 40 which over long term will add up
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2016, 22:45   #10
Oop north

Saving 20 miles of petrol a day doesn't add up to very much though - you'll never get the extra initial cost back over a d5 (unless you are getting tax benefits too). I considered a T8 and got some figures but for 20k+ miles a year the £1k a month depreciation put me right off. (May not be relevant but i got a Land Rover D4 (used) and a BMW i3 for less than a T8 xc90 would have cost me - and the D4's tyres aren't noisy...)
Oop north is offline   Reply With Quote