Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How do you fix a sticking handbrake?

Views : 2889

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 31st, 2016, 08:41   #1
ww1dm1
What is this I don't even

Default How do you fix a sticking handbrake?

A really annoying problem came along with spring. My handbrake started sticking. Took off the rear wheels, cleaned off the handbrake "hooks" holding the cable, exercised them a bit, lubed them up the best I could. Was alright for a few days, now it's sticking again (not as bad as before, though).

How do you get to the handbrake assembly? There is a nut on the back of the cable "hook", but taking it off didn't allow me to get anything off. Unless it needed force, didn't try to pry it as I don't know if it should come off. Do I need to take the caliper off?

Any tips are appreciated, the only knowledge Haynes manual can offer is tensioning the handbrake cables. Thanks for nothing, Haynes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hook.jpg (123.5 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by ww1dm1; Mar 31st, 2016 at 09:33.
ww1dm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 08:58   #2
ilikewatch
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww1dm1 View Post
A really annoying problem came along with spring. My handbrake started sticking. Took off the rear wheels, cleaned off the handbrake "hooks" holding the cable, exercised them a bit, lubed them up the best I could. Was alright for a few days, now it's sticking again (not as bad as before, though).

How do you get to the handbrake assembly? There is a nut on the back of the cable "hook", but taking it off didn't allow me to get anything off. Unless it needed force, didn't try to pry it as I don't know if it should come off. Do I need to take the brake disc off?

Any tips are appreciated, the only knowledge Haynes manual can offer is tensioning the handbrake cables. Thanks for nothing, Haynes.
Most handbrake problems on these cars are caused by the mechanism in the rear calipers, and whilst cleaning and lubricating can often delay the inevitable, sooner or later replacing the calipers is the only sensible option. With a pair of recon calipers being available for a net cost of about £65 it's not too expensive to fix.
'18 (68) silver Volvo V40 T3 R Design
ilikewatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ilikewatch For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 09:02   #3
cheshired5
Premier Member

If the problem is restricted movement of the cable or the mechanism on the piston, everything can be cleaned up and oiled in place so it reaches full travel again.
I've freed up a few by just getting someone to quickly and repeatedly pull up and release the handbrake whilst I blast the area with a jet wash and oil the pivot points.

Car on level ground, wheels chocked.
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 09:27   #4
ww1dm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikewatch View Post
Most handbrake problems on these cars are caused by the mechanism in the rear calipers, and whilst cleaning and lubricating can often delay the inevitable, sooner or later replacing the calipers is the only sensible option. With a pair of recon calipers being available for a net cost of about £65 it's not too expensive to fix.
Well, I'll keep replacing for the last resort, can't be too hard to get them back to shape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
If the problem is restricted movement of the cable or the mechanism on the piston, everything can be cleaned up and oiled in place so it reaches full travel again.
I've freed up a few by just getting someone to quickly and repeatedly pull up and release the handbrake whilst I blast the area with a jet wash and oil the pivot points.

Car on level ground, wheels chocked.
The cable movement isn't restricted. The metal "hook" thing is lubed up, so it must be somewhere deeper. How do I get deeper?
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 09:30   #5
cheshired5
Premier Member

Deeper in the piston?
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 09:36   #6
ww1dm1

I'm not really certain how this kind of parking brake works, can't find any schematics. So deeper into wherever the sticking point could be. The brakes themselves don't stick, so it's not the piston sticking.
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 09:54   #7
cheshired5
Premier Member

If you're certain everything is free moving and the cable is adjusted correctly, it sounds like a caliper off job and maybe replacement.
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 11:02   #8
v40alex
I do like a V40

You can't really get into the handbrake arm mechanism without completely disassembling the caliper.

If it's sticking, the best thing to do is crack the arm nut off half a turn, give it a good squirt of silicone spray, work it in, then tighten back up gently. You will see instantly if this frees it up, otherwise it's new caliper time. If it does work, give the whole area a good coat of rubber grease to keep the crud out.
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 11:57   #9
ww1dm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by v40alex View Post
You can't really get into the handbrake arm mechanism without completely disassembling the caliper.

If it's sticking, the best thing to do is crack the arm nut off half a turn, give it a good squirt of silicone spray, work it in, then tighten back up gently. You will see instantly if this frees it up, otherwise it's new caliper time. If it does work, give the whole area a good coat of rubber grease to keep the crud out.
If you're talking about the nut seen in the attachment of the first post then that didn't get me anywhere. I thought I would be able to at least remove the lever, but it's not moving.

Anyways, found a schematic for this type of handbrake mechanism, I guess either there's rust/dirt between the lever and the caliper itself or dirt somehow got into the threads.

EDIT: According to this thread cracking the lever bolt a little looser helps some people with the sticking. I know I tightened mine well, that's another thing to try. But still would be nice to give it a better clean.
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=109801

So my question: did anyone succeed taking off the lever in the first post? As I mentioned, I unscrewed the bolt but it seems to be holding tight, does it need a good knock or is it not that simple?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brakes-disc-chapter12-52-728.jpg (85.2 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by ww1dm1; Mar 31st, 2016 at 12:06.
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 13:48   #10
v40alex
I do like a V40

If that hasn't worked, then complete stripdown/replacement caliper is your next step. Have a look at this thread for refurb guide... http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=209721
The Following User Says Thank You to v40alex For This Useful Post: