Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlights on dipped giving out no light

Views : 976

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 19:49   #1
smokedmackerel
smokedmackerel

Default Headlights on dipped giving out no light

My V50 2004 2.4SE has problems with the dipped beam and literally has no light beam coming from he headlights on both sides .
The main beam is fine and I've taken out both of the headlights and cleaned the lenses and also cleaned the outside s of the headlights to no avail ,when I've changed the height of the lights going up and down it's made no difference to the light at all ,anybody had the same problem as I don't really want to drive once it's dark as I can't see very much ,I might as well use the main beam but have to dip as soon as I'm blinding other cars coming the other way please can anyone help
smokedmackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2023, 21:22   #2
StatusRed
Premier Member

Try LEDs..

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2023, 21:50   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokedmackerel View Post
My V50 2004 2.4SE has problems with the dipped beam and literally has no light beam coming from he headlights on both sides .
The main beam is fine and I've taken out both of the headlights and cleaned the lenses and also cleaned the outside s of the headlights to no avail ,when I've changed the height of the lights going up and down it's made no difference to the light at all ,anybody had the same problem as I don't really want to drive once it's dark as I can't see very much ,I might as well use the main beam but have to dip as soon as I'm blinding other cars coming the other way please can anyone help
you will probably find the headlamp reflectors tarnished at the top which is the very part of the reflector used for dip beam...
Old Apr 23rd, 2023, 21:56   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatusRed View Post
Try LEDs..
Illegal ...

from MOT Tester's Manual

"Existing halogen headlamp units on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp for light source and lamp not compatible."
Old Apr 23rd, 2023, 22:15   #5
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Illegal ...

from MOT Tester's Manual

"Existing halogen headlamp units on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp for light source and lamp not compatible."
As said before, I value being able to see properly more. Passed multiple MoTs now no problem.

Old Apr 24th, 2023, 00:09   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
As said before, I value being able to see properly more. Passed multiple MoTs now no problem.
you need to start with perfect reflectors what ever you do ....
Old Apr 24th, 2023, 14:54   #7
Lancee
Premier Member

Quote:
Choosing my words carefully, I think it may fundamentally be the case that the new LED headlights now increasingly dazzle other, oncoming drivers. Even the LED lights on new cars seem to be troublesome to many in this regard. Myself, my partner and our friends and colleagues have at different times mentioned the issue, that is one of being increasingly dazzled by "the new" lights, more so at night.

I dangerously assume that non OE retrofitted LED "lamps" are quite likely to dazzle oncoming drivers, perhaps even more so than the manufacturer designed OE ones fitted to new cars from the showroom.

You may be able to see that pothole, oncoming drivers when dazzled may not, although they may miss it by virtue of planting themselves in the hedge, or otherwise !
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lancee For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2023, 17:17   #8
Lucien
VOC Member

Are these xenon, or halogen bulbs? I managed to fit the wrong type of xenon bulb to an XC90 and the dipped beams went incredibly dim. I had fitted projector bulbs instead of the bi-xenon.
Lucien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2023, 17:19   #9
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokedmackerel View Post
Putting all "legal/no legal" stuff aside - can you please clarify what you wrote? by "literally no beam from headlight" I would understand that your dipped bulbs (H7) dont light up at all? or you mean that light output is so cr*p that it may as well dont work?
honestly thought the first option but then started reading comments and not sure now...
edit - considering it was coloquial and your bulbs actually DO light up, take picture of beam pattern in front of the wall. Its possible you have them inserted wrong and the beam is all over the place or that your reflector inside projector is so worn out that it simply doesnt reflect anything.
your beam pattern should be clearly \__\___ or the other way round for LHD.

Last edited by LizardOfBodom; Apr 24th, 2023 at 17:22.
LizardOfBodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2023, 20:40   #10
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancee View Post
Choosing my words carefully, I think it may fundamentally be the case that the new LED headlights now increasingly dazzle other, oncoming drivers. Even the LED lights on new cars seem to be troublesome to many in this regard. Myself, my partner and our friends and colleagues have at different times mentioned the issue, that is one of being increasingly dazzled by "the new" lights, more so at night.

I dangerously assume that non OE retrofitted LED "lamps" are quite likely to dazzle oncoming drivers, perhaps even more so than the manufacturer designed OE ones fitted to new cars from the showroom.

You may be able to see that pothole, oncoming drivers when dazzled may not, although they may miss it by virtue of planting themselves in the hedge, or otherwise !
This is why you invest in the correct bulbs that have been shown to work well in our units..